Olympic moments you will not forget | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympic moments you will not forget

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Battle of the Brians, G&G, Liz Manley, & Midori Ito in 1988. Paul Wylie in 1992, the smile coming back to Midori's face in her 1992 free skate, her "Rain" exhibition, Torvill & Dean in 1984...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
My favorite was Shen and Zhao winning gold. It was magical for so many reasons. Seeing their coach break down into tears even before his last pair skated, knowing one of them would give him the gold medal redemption for his embarrassing experience as an athlete several years ago. Seeing them skate a very good program after all they had been through with injuries; I cannot this of a pair who has persisted through more to get gold than they did.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
One moment I'll never forget is that awful fall on the 4S that the Zhangs had in Turin. And then they resume and she lands a 2A+3T (which is insanely difficult for a pairs skater, heck even many female singles skaters at the time) and a practically clean skate. It really displayed what the Olympics are all about and how exciting they can be (plus, it totally stole T/M's thunder... I'll never forget Tatiana's face :laugh:).

LRK

Record Breaker
My favorite was Shen and Zhao winning gold. It was magical for so many reasons. Seeing their coach break down into tears even before his last pair skated, knowing one of them would give him the gold medal redemption for his embarrassing experience as an athlete several years ago. Seeing them skate a very good program after all they had been through with injuries; I cannot this of a pair who has persisted through more to get gold than they did.

I loved that moment in the Kiss & Cry, when they were waiting for the scores, and when the scores came up and everyone realised they'd won... and they didn't at first. "Wow," I thought, "they've won an Olympic gold, and no reaction - what cool customers!" And then they realised.... Lovely, lovely moment. :)

Ven

Match Penalty
I loved NBC's camera work during her skate. Their different angles and focus, showed her lovely footwork to best effect and then, most especially, when it closed in on her lovely face at the conclusion of her final spin when she knew she had done it. As a Canadian I am supposed to be thinking hockey triumphs by our men and women but it was the grace and gratitude exhibited by Yu Na during that standing ovation that I shall never forget. I have seen many Olympics but that one in Vancouver was the one for me.

I really prefer the British Eurosport version over NBC for that performance. The camera angles and (limited) commentary are far superior, you can compare on YouTube I'm sure.

My favorite moment was also Yuna's FS in 2010. Everything from the 2:30 mark on was as heavenly as a minute and 30 seconds of figure skating can be. Cherry on the top was her emotional reaction afterward.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Yep, Eddie. Gordeeva and Grinkov in 88 were perfection, and she was gorgeous with that megawatt smile.

http://youtu.be/0B0tSnQKzwo

I know the pair was all about Katya, but Sergei was a gorgeous skater himself. So rock solid. Try watching just him, so smooth, and strong. A hunk of gorgeous Russian hair, face, bootay, and I'm not sure what undergarments he may or may not have been wearing, but I'd get out the rulebook to see if he deserved a costume deduction. :) Just perfect.

I humbly apologize to those who were offended by my use of the word 'azz' and reported me. So I changed it to bootay. I wasn't trying to get around 'censors', that's usually how I've spelled it the last 20 years. Keep trying. Or maybe bootay is also too risqué and seeming to go around censors????

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Vancouver was my favourite figure skating Olympics also. I'm sure that has something to do with my favourites winning in three out of four events! It seems the skater or team I'm rooting for has always faltered at Olympics, but not then.

My favourite moment there, though, was probably Shen and Zhao's win. They'd gone from a mediocre pair; to a strong technical pair that was known for their big jumps, throws and twists but considered lacking in passion and musicality; to a well-rounded team that laid down some riveting performances. It was great to see them finally reaching their dreams after such a long time on the scene.

Other memorable moments from Vancouver:

• Tessa and Scott's FD performance and win
  • The entire dance competition, actually. I enjoyed the dance I saw there more than I ever have. I really liked the OD theme that year, too: lots of variety and different flavours.
  • Yu Na's performances and win
  • Joannie Rochette's tragic situation, decision to compete, and her solid performance that earned her the bronze
  • Pang and Tong's surprise silver medal: another case of long-time veterans finally achieving success.

I found the men's competition kind of meh compared to everything else, but you can't have everything, I guess.

gimble

On the Ice
I found the men's competition kind of meh compared to everything else, but you can't have everything, I guess.

Yeah, compared to the other disciplines, it was a bit disappointing what with shoe laces coming off (I was really really hoping for Oda to do well.. what bad luck and timing) and men falling or skating blandly..

But the rest were great.

I also enjoyed the men's competition in 1998. I really liked the performance of the bronze medalist whose name I'm completely blanking out on right now..

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I also enjoyed the men's competition in 1998. I really liked the performance of the bronze medalist whose name I'm completely blanking out on right now..

Philippe Candeloro - D'Artagnan program

Amei

Record Breaker
Tara's kiss and cry in Nagano.
Philippe Candeloro in Nagano-- he skated to entertain the audience, not for a score
Todd Eldredge's exhibition in Salt lake City, my favorite male skater, I love all his performances- 1 of the greatest tragedies is his lack of Olympic gold

(I'll disclaimer- Nagano was the 1st Olympics from my childhood that I remember)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd Eldredge's exhibition in Salt lake City, my favorite male skater, I love all his performances- 1 of the greatest tragedies is his lack of Olympic gold

Agreed (along with my feelings for Kurt)! His "Il Mare Calmo de la Sera" program is stunning (even though that wasn't the strongest performance of it). Didn't you love his SLC free skate? I was touched by the warmth shown to him by the live audience there.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Nancy Kerrigan 1994. Her nerves had gotton the best of her many times - particularly at worlds 1993. To se her not quit and to come to terms with it. Plus, the injury from the attack. She skated 2 great programs.

Big Deal

Final Flight
- John Curry wins with his LP in 1976.
-Yagudin wins, which also emotionally was great (not to mention Tarasova's mother-like honest reaction)
-Torvil/Dean wins and comeback 10 years later
-Gordeeva Grinkov 1988.
-Klimova/Ponomarenko 1992. FD
-Mishkutionok/Dmitriev LP 1994 (when they didn't win).
-Yu-Na Kim 2010.
-Virtue/Moir 2010.
-Arakawa 2006.

All fantastic moments of this sport.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Nancy Kerrigan 1994. Her nerves had gotton the best of her many times - particularly at worlds 1993. To se her not quit and to come to terms with it. Plus, the injury from the attack. She skated 2 great programs.

I agree. I still think she should have won, but that is for another thread altogether.

I wasn't a Tara fan, but her skate is one I will never forget. Such joy!

- John Curry wins with his LP in 1976.
-Yagudin wins, which also emotionally was great (not to mention Tarasova's mother-like honest reaction)
-Torvil/Dean wins and comeback 10 years later
-Gordeeva Grinkov 1988.
-Klimova/Ponomarenko 1992. FD
-Mishkutionok/Dmitriev LP 1994 (when they didn't win).
-Yu-Na Kim 2010.
-Virtue/Moir 2010.
-Arakawa 2006.

All fantastic moments of this sport.

I like this list.

And I add (which I'm sure has been mentioned many times, but I haven't reread the thread lately) Paul Wylie's Henry V long program in 1992.

You know, in a way the program skated by Tugba Karademir has a claim to being remembered. There she was, an obscure skater from a country that was in no way a skating power, getting to compete on Olympic ice. How lovely that this moment was seen by so many people. I thought it was very nice of the American TV network to show her skate.

snejina

Rinkside
Gordeeva Grinkov 1988
Grishuk/Platov 1998
Oksana Baiul 1994
Katharina Witt
Mishkutyonok Dmitriev 1994
Anissina/Peizerat 2002
Irina Slutzkaya LP 2002
Arakawa 2010
Sasha Cohen SP 2006
Plushenko 2006
Virtue Moir 2010
Yu Na Kim 2010

Amei

Record Breaker
Didn't you love his SLC free skate? I was touched by the warmth shown to him by the live audience there

His free skate was great, I wish he would have landed the quad in his final skate, but it was fabulous. The fans knew that there would never be another skater the could come close to Todd.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I watched the ladies free last night from 2002 Oly. Wow, 4 really great skates, some mistakes but high level. Sarah Hughes. First lady to do two 3/3s in the Olympics. I loved that skate-such a bravura skate by the 16 year old. It was so tension filled. The stars aligned for her-she met the moment. I wish I were a Hughes-they are a great family.