Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Olympic moments you will not forget

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    I loved NBC's camera work during her skate. Their different angles and focus, showed her lovely footwork to best effect and then, most especially, when it closed in on her lovely face at the conclusion of her final spin when she knew she had done it. As a Canadian I am supposed to be thinking hockey triumphs by our men and women but it was the grace and gratitude exhibited by Yu Na during that standing ovation that I shall never forget. I have seen many Olympics but that one in Vancouver was the one for me.
    I wasn't a huge fan of Yuna, but that moment on the ice immediately after her Free Skate, especially her reaction, really got to me. It is sort of reminiscent of those moments after Klimova & Ponomarenko's Free Dance in the '92 Olympics, in that a burden was lifted-- yes, that impassive yet remorseless mechanism that keeps one obligated to do the things one does, and the corresponding sensation of having actually done it.

If you give a few tries, you will see the real YuNa, least packaged in her Ex in 2010. She was not acting, she was skating to say thank you with her heart. rare glances into soul of very reserved girl. I was just like her, so I hope we will see her doing some great EX programs. I hope she decides to skate until 2018, as I feel she has depths yet unplumbed. Meditaion was really more YuNa than Bond, and even more so her than Gershwin, IMHO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Yep, Eddie. Gordeeva and Grinkov in 88 were perfection, and she was gorgeous with that megawatt smile.

http://youtu.be/0B0tSnQKzwo

I know the pair was all about Katya, but Sergei was a gorgeous skater himself. So rock solid. Try watching just him, so smooth, and strong. A hunk of gorgeous Russian hair, face, azz, and I'm not sure what undergarments he may or may not have been wearing, but I'd get out the rulebook to see if he deserved a costume deduction. Just perfect.
    I am not sure what you are getting at sometimes but I have a feeling we should take a shower or close our eyes.

Custom Title
    Moments to remember.. so many. Tai and Randy not being able to go on. irina rodina winning her final OGM. Joannie Rochette trying to continue skate the short program after the death of her mother. Gordeeva and Grinkov in 1988 long program. Yuna in Vancouver. Klimova and Pomanrenko winning Ogm in 1992 so emotional. The Battle of the Brians. Oddlyh Liz Manlehy's 1988 freeskate - such joy. tonya Harding shoelace breaking and Josee chouinard forced to skate early. Oksana Baiul upsetting nancy Kerrigan after being pummelled (cut) by Sawchenko. S and P and B and S for their performances and oly drama. virtue and Moir winning OGM. The devastation of Kurt Browning and the disappointment of Michelle kwan. The screams of Lipinksi and Hughes. The agony of defeat of Debi Thomas.

Watching Mao land 3 triple axels. Seeing Todd Eldridge force a smile for Tara after sad kiss and cry for him that Olympics. Seeing Brian lose to other Brian-after a truly great LP. This should have been a tie. Seeing Evan win and his great firebird sp. Liz Manley giving the skate of her life. Yuna being crowned after clean, great skating, Joannies heartbreak..and Kerrigan skating her best-it was thrilling. Oksana was a waif in that sp, watching Michelle perform in Nagano, two great programs for ever to recall.

May we have skating like last Oly. Rachael and Mirai were superb, unforgettable.

The Battle of the Brians, G&G, Liz Manley, & Midori Ito in 1988. Paul Wylie in 1992, the smile coming back to Midori's face in her 1992 free skate, her "Rain" exhibition, Torvill & Dean in 1984...

Custom Title
    My favorite was Shen and Zhao winning gold. It was magical for so many reasons. Seeing their coach break down into tears even before his last pair skated, knowing one of them would give him the gold medal redemption for his embarrassing experience as an athlete several years ago. Seeing them skate a very good program after all they had been through with injuries; I cannot this of a pair who has persisted through more to get gold than they did.

Custom Title
    One moment I'll never forget is that awful fall on the 4S that the Zhangs had in Turin. And then they resume and she lands a 2A+3T (which is insanely difficult for a pairs skater, heck even many female singles skaters at the time) and a practically clean skate. It really displayed what the Olympics are all about and how exciting they can be (plus, it totally stole T/M's thunder... I'll never forget Tatiana's face ).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    My favorite was Shen and Zhao winning gold. It was magical for so many reasons. Seeing their coach break down into tears even before his last pair skated, knowing one of them would give him the gold medal redemption for his embarrassing experience as an athlete several years ago. Seeing them skate a very good program after all they had been through with injuries; I cannot this of a pair who has persisted through more to get gold than they did.
    I loved that moment in the Kiss & Cry, when they were waiting for the scores, and when the scores came up and everyone realised they'd won... and they didn't at first. "Wow," I thought, "they've won an Olympic gold, and no reaction - what cool customers!" And then they realised.... Lovely, lovely moment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    I loved NBC's camera work during her skate. Their different angles and focus, showed her lovely footwork to best effect and then, most especially, when it closed in on her lovely face at the conclusion of her final spin when she knew she had done it. As a Canadian I am supposed to be thinking hockey triumphs by our men and women but it was the grace and gratitude exhibited by Yu Na during that standing ovation that I shall never forget. I have seen many Olympics but that one in Vancouver was the one for me.
    I really prefer the British Eurosport version over NBC for that performance. The camera angles and (limited) commentary are far superior, you can compare on YouTube I'm sure.

My favorite moment was also Yuna's FS in 2010. Everything from the 2:30 mark on was as heavenly as a minute and 30 seconds of figure skating can be. Cherry on the top was her emotional reaction afterward.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Yep, Eddie. Gordeeva and Grinkov in 88 were perfection, and she was gorgeous with that megawatt smile.

http://youtu.be/0B0tSnQKzwo

I know the pair was all about Katya, but Sergei was a gorgeous skater himself. So rock solid. Try watching just him, so smooth, and strong. A hunk of gorgeous Russian hair, face, bootay, and I'm not sure what undergarments he may or may not have been wearing, but I'd get out the rulebook to see if he deserved a costume deduction. Just perfect.
    I humbly apologize to those who were offended by my use of the word 'azz' and reported me. So I changed it to bootay. I wasn't trying to get around 'censors', that's usually how I've spelled it the last 20 years. Keep trying. Or maybe bootay is also too risqué and seeming to go around censors????

Vancouver was my favourite figure skating Olympics also. I'm sure that has something to do with my favourites winning in three out of four events! It seems the skater or team I'm rooting for has always faltered at Olympics, but not then.

My favourite moment there, though, was probably Shen and Zhao's win. They'd gone from a mediocre pair; to a strong technical pair that was known for their big jumps, throws and twists but considered lacking in passion and musicality; to a well-rounded team that laid down some riveting performances. It was great to see them finally reaching their dreams after such a long time on the scene.

Other memorable moments from Vancouver:

• Tessa and Scott's FD performance and win
    • The entire dance competition, actually. I enjoyed the dance I saw there more than I ever have. I really liked the OD theme that year, too: lots of variety and different flavours.
    • Yu Na's performances and win
    • Joannie Rochette's tragic situation, decision to compete, and her solid performance that earned her the bronze
    • Pang and Tong's surprise silver medal: another case of long-time veterans finally achieving success.

I found the men's competition kind of meh compared to everything else, but you can't have everything, I guess.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    I found the men's competition kind of meh compared to everything else, but you can't have everything, I guess.
    Yeah, compared to the other disciplines, it was a bit disappointing what with shoe laces coming off (I was really really hoping for Oda to do well.. what bad luck and timing) and men falling or skating blandly..

But the rest were great.

I also enjoyed the men's competition in 1998. I really liked the performance of the bronze medalist whose name I'm completely blanking out on right now..

Quote Originally Posted by gimble View Post

I also enjoyed the men's competition in 1998. I really liked the performance of the bronze medalist whose name I'm completely blanking out on right now..
    Philippe Candeloro - D'Artagnan program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Philippe Candeloro - D'Artagnan program
    Thank you. That's the one. Skating aside, what an entertaining routine that was.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast