Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Olympic moments you will not forget

Yes, I loved it too, although I was heartbroken for Todd.

Custom Title
    Tara's kiss and cry in Nagano.
    Philippe Candeloro in Nagano-- he skated to entertain the audience, not for a score
    Todd Eldredge's exhibition in Salt lake City, my favorite male skater, I love all his performances- 1 of the greatest tragedies is his lack of Olympic gold

(I'll disclaimer- Nagano was the 1st Olympics from my childhood that I remember)

Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post

Todd Eldredge's exhibition in Salt lake City, my favorite male skater, I love all his performances- 1 of the greatest tragedies is his lack of Olympic gold
    Agreed (along with my feelings for Kurt)! His "Il Mare Calmo de la Sera" program is stunning (even though that wasn't the strongest performance of it). Didn't you love his SLC free skate? I was touched by the warmth shown to him by the live audience there.

Tripping on the Podium
    Nancy Kerrigan 1994. Her nerves had gotton the best of her many times - particularly at worlds 1993. To se her not quit and to come to terms with it. Plus, the injury from the attack. She skated 2 great programs.

Custom Title
    - John Curry wins with his LP in 1976.
    -Yagudin wins, which also emotionally was great (not to mention Tarasova's mother-like honest reaction)
    -Torvil/Dean wins and comeback 10 years later
    -Gordeeva Grinkov 1988.
    -Klimova/Ponomarenko 1992. FD
    -Mishkutionok/Dmitriev LP 1994 (when they didn't win).
    -Yu-Na Kim 2010.
    -Virtue/Moir 2010.
    -Arakawa 2006.

All fantastic moments of this sport.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karlowens2 View Post
    Nancy Kerrigan 1994. Her nerves had gotton the best of her many times - particularly at worlds 1993. To se her not quit and to come to terms with it. Plus, the injury from the attack. She skated 2 great programs.
    I agree. I still think she should have won, but that is for another thread altogether.

I wasn't a Tara fan, but her skate is one I will never forget. Such joy!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    - John Curry wins with his LP in 1976.
    -Yagudin wins, which also emotionally was great (not to mention Tarasova's mother-like honest reaction)
    -Torvil/Dean wins and comeback 10 years later
    -Gordeeva Grinkov 1988.
    -Klimova/Ponomarenko 1992. FD
    -Mishkutionok/Dmitriev LP 1994 (when they didn't win).
    -Yu-Na Kim 2010.
    -Virtue/Moir 2010.
    -Arakawa 2006.

All fantastic moments of this sport.
    I like this list.

And I add (which I'm sure has been mentioned many times, but I haven't reread the thread lately) Paul Wylie's Henry V long program in 1992.

You know, in a way the program skated by Tugba Karademir has a claim to being remembered. There she was, an obscure skater from a country that was in no way a skating power, getting to compete on Olympic ice. How lovely that this moment was seen by so many people. I thought it was very nice of the American TV network to show her skate.

Tripping on the Podium
    Gordeeva Grinkov 1988
    Grishuk/Platov 1998
    Oksana Baiul 1994
    Katharina Witt
    Mishkutyonok Dmitriev 1994
    Anissina/Peizerat 2002
    Irina Slutzkaya LP 2002
    Arakawa 2010
    Sasha Cohen SP 2006
    Plushenko 2006
    Virtue Moir 2010
    Yu Na Kim 2010

Custom Title
    Didn't you love his SLC free skate? I was touched by the warmth shown to him by the live audience there
    His free skate was great, I wish he would have landed the quad in his final skate, but it was fabulous. The fans knew that there would never be another skater the could come close to Todd.

I watched the ladies free last night from 2002 Oly. Wow, 4 really great skates, some mistakes but high level. Sarah Hughes. First lady to do two 3/3s in the Olympics. I loved that skate-such a bravura skate by the 16 year old. It was so tension filled. The stars aligned for her-she met the moment. I wish I were a Hughes-they are a great family.

On the Ice
    Battle of the Brians 1988

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    My favorite was Shen and Zhao winning gold. It was magical for so many reasons. Seeing their coach break down into tears even before his last pair skated, knowing one of them would give him the gold medal redemption for his embarrassing experience as an athlete several years ago. Seeing them skate a very good program after all they had been through with injuries; I cannot this of a pair who has persisted through more to get gold than they did.
    I loved that moment in the Kiss & Cry, when they were waiting for the scores, and when the scores came up and everyone realised they'd won... and they didn't at first. "Wow," I thought, "they've won an Olympic gold, and no reaction - what cool customers!" And then they realised.... Lovely, lovely moment.
    Yes. Oh my goodness, YES. When Shen yelled out in joy, I did too!

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    One moment I'll never forget is that awful fall on the 4S that the Zhangs had in Turin. And then they resume and she lands a 2A+3T (which is insanely difficult for a pairs skater, heck even many female singles skaters at the time) and a practically clean skate. It really displayed what the Olympics are all about and how exciting they can be (plus, it totally stole T/M's thunder... I'll never forget Tatiana's face ).
    Wasn't the first time a Chinese pair stole T/M's thunder. Remember 2004 Worlds? S/Z blew them straight out of the water with their free skate. But because of the 6.0 system, S/Z could only manage silver. Kind of like what Z/Z did, don't you think?

I was devastated when Michelle fell in 2002.

Lu Chen's comeback in 1998.

Joannie Rochette's amazing gutsy superhuman SP. It was great. Her LP tho flawed was amazing too. It shows how incredibly trained and focused she was, always on the scene with Mao and Yuna to content with. I'd love to see her come back.

Well... definetly Joannie Rochette in 2010 fighting and skating for her mum... She was so strong... I loved her OG exhibition...
    Oh, 2002 pairs competition with the two gold medals... definetly sth to remember...
    Shen/Zhao finally getting their well deserved gold while Savchenko/Szolkowy being mocked by their coach because of the bronze and looking so unfriendly at the Medal Ceremony...
    Virtue/Moir, simply beautiful...
    2006, Sasha Cohens great recover in the LP...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast