Men's Short Program: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program: 2013 NHK Trophy

Becki

Medalist
Just realized Fernandez had no jumps in the second half of his program. I think David Wilson was good at milking the system....wondering what the program was constructed that way :S

wallylutz

Medalist
This SP from Javier is fun...but I can't help but ask why he's doing two very similar-styled programs? His FS is sort of fun and swingy too...

This is likely by design in order to enhance his strengths (i.e. projection / interaction, engaging) while minimizing his weaknesses (skating skills). Stroke for stroke, Fernandez is no match against the other top men however, he is a very gifted entertainer. Morozov tried to do the same with Florent Amodio except he never had the same consistency in his jumps as Fernandez does.

Javier is the type of skater who needs all his jumps and skate clean in order to deliver full impact given his basics aren't there to hold him up should he make mistakes. Given this, similarity in style between SP & FS, while not optimal, is in fact the best strategy going forward given the constraints.

I don't know what the technical panel was smoking but I just rewatched the slo-mo of Takahashi's 4toe and it was clearly cheated over 1/4. Yes, I am barely conscious but unless I am having hallucinations already, the front part of the blade touched the ice after 3.63 revolutions or so.

Axel was just about rotated. Definitely not warranting a call but the blade didn't land fully backwards either.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't know what the technical panel was smoking but I just rewatched the slo-mo of Takahashi's 4toe and it was clearly cheated over 1/4. Yes, I am barely conscious but unless I am having hallucinations already, the front part of the blade touched the ice after 3.63 revolutions or so.

Axel was just about rotated. Definitely not warranting a call but the blade didn't land fully backwards either.

Exactly. I'm fine with a 3A called as fully rotated, but +2.14 GOE is a bit much, especially when you compare it with Han Yan's 3A from the week before, heck compared with other 3As he's done in the past!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
It's confusing because even as I was thinking "Wow, that's a clear underrotation" the eurosport commentator talked about how perfect the landing was ;S

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
None of the Quads were underrotated more than 1/4.

Except Jeremy's, of course. That was totally <<.

Oda was scored 5 points too low. Takahashi slightly overscored, but he definitely deserved at least 93 for that.

It's confusing because even as I was thinking "Wow, that's a clear underrotation" the eurosport commentator talked about how perfect the landing was ;S

The British Eurosport commentators are terrible. They wouldn't see a mistake if it punched them in the face.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
None of the Quads were underrotated more than 1/4.

Except Jeremy's, of course. That was totally <<.

Oda was scored 5 points too low. Takahashi slightly overscored, but he definitely deserved at least 93 for that.

I guess my biggest problem that they really scrutinized Oda for whatever reason and really gave a bit of a pass to everyone else.

flaneur

On the Ice
I know :eek:, It feel like watching soccer , and It dont bother me the little tech box in the screen

i actually liked the tech box (although it might be because I don't recall ever seeing it before... maybe when the novelty wears out I will hate it)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Haha, I guess that's why I prefer watching Finnish broadcasts. Susanna Pöykiö, Laura Lepistö and Kiira Korpi at least know what's up.

samson

Medalist
The mens event is proving to be as unpredictable as ever! After Skate Canada I was looking at the Grand Prix standings and I realized we might not have any locks into the final until we hit Paris. That may prove to be true once this competition is said and done.

If the results stay this after the free then the Top three in standings for the Grand Prix will be:
1. Daisuke (24 points)
2. Adam (22 points)
3. Nobu (22 points)

The tie breaker would go to Adam for placing second in Skate America while Nobu would only have two third place finishes.

And then we will still have Patrick, Han Yan, Tatsuki Machida, Yuzuru, Kovtun, and Javi left to do their second grand prix.

We also have Evgeny and Joubert in showing up in Russia as possible spoilers, even though they aren't in contention for a spot at the final. I have no idea what kind of shape they are in, but as they say... the ice is slippery.

Either way GREAT work from the men I've seen so far and CAN'T WAIT to watch the other short programs and see how the free skate plays out!!

After this event that would leave Dai with a strong chance of making the final and would definitely put Adam on the bubble, IF the final results remain the same as right now. Adam's free skate is absolutely fabulous this year. If he skates it clean I could see him moving up. But I would imagine he will definitely need both his axels for that to happen, and perhaps some struggles from the men over him.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If Dai makes it to GPF and beats Machida and both Oda and Yuzu don't make it to GPF, would the decision as to who makes it to Olympics come down to Nationals (besides Dai, whose berth would be guaranteed by being the top Japanese skater at GPF)?

Hm...was thinking that Yuzuru will probably make GPF, but now realize he's facing Yan Han and Patrick Chan at TEB....

Rewatching Oda's combo now. Both 4toe and 3toe are cheated. 3toe under 1/4, 4toe looked like it could go either way. Unlike with Takahashi, it's hard to say because we didn't get proper slo-mo on tv and the angle wasn't great either. Based on what I could see, I would give him the benefit of the doubt on 4toe but technical panel was able to see it more clearly so not gonna cry robbed.

Flutz was there but he rolled on the inside edge at the last moment so I'd deduct only -1 and given the jump was solid and directly preceded by steps, I'd start with +1 base value, arriving at 0.

Moment

Final Flight
I would give a pass Oda's 4t, 3t was <. he should've scored higher with higher BV