Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread: Men's Short Program: 2013 NHK Trophy

Custom Title
    Thanks, golden!
    A couple of more thoughts.

-Nobu's low score and 4T<+3T
    Whenever my husband and I watch competitions together, either on TV or live, we enjoy a sort of game predicting/guessing its score after each performance (I am the one who tend to predict higher and lose the game in the end.) After Nobu's fabulous SP, "90+ worthy!" I claimed, he said "No way. around 88 at best probably, because Javi and Dai still to go".
    When his score was announced, many of the crowd did not agree with it, saying 'ahhhhh' 'nooooo' 'reeeeeally?'. And such voices were all around me until Javier's music got started. His TES was way too low for what he showed in front of us. 4T must have got a < call, my husband and I suspected. But still too low we thought. His 4T+3T looked just perfect, both to our naked eyes and on the replay on Arena's big screen. (And Dai's 4T looked more borderline on the replay later, if not the same.)

Here is what must have happened. Or what could have happened I thought:
    When Nobu hit a perfect huge high 4T, its landing did not lose speed (as his norm on his good day of course), and he was very close to the board on the short-side already. And I instantly feared he would crash into the board if he were to add 3T. Then Nobu clearly, or I at least thought so from where we sat, changed his direction upon 4T landindg, about 90 degree toward the long-side (=backward), in order to secure more ice to add 3T. That caused Tech panel to see it as a gliding toe-pick on ice for UR call, maybe? I'm no expert in checking technical things such as UR/DG calls o jumps, so Idk for sure, but that was my understanding/take on Nobu's possible low score and explained to my husband.

Custom Title
    -Dai's high score and GOEs on 4T/3A:
    My husband, who btw was rooting for Nobu the most at this comp (he believes Dai gets so much love eeevery day from eeeverybody including 'his wife' so that Dai now deserves no more love, 'his own love' in particular lol, thus dedicates it to Nobu instead, he says!) was very displeased with the score and complaining to me on and on even after Javi started.

Some of you mentioned his score was way too high, or did not agree with such massive GOEs for his borderline 4T and/or 3A without difficult entries. But I kind of understand why judges gave such GOEs, more precisely why judges 'had to' give them. When Dai landed 4T cleanly which hadn't happened for quite some time, the crowd went crazy. It was simply an explosion. Then he hit high distant 3A, another explosion, because many of us knew he had been struggling with 3A consistency, and that was a beauty and almost the same as his old 3As we used to remember from him. I feel for the judges, to be honest, if they might have got a bit criticized for this...Watching all the crowd spring onto their feet and go crazy, judges could not help it but being a bit generous, I guess.
    After Dai's killer performance and while we all waited for the score to come up, my husband kept telling me, "I am gonna be pissed off if this one goes over 90...I'm gonna...gonna". You can easily imagine I had hard time consoling him during the whole 3 days.

Dai-love or no love aside, we were feeling scores were lower for what they did on ice, to our eyes, thruout the entire Men SP. Except Dai. What we did not like the most and agreed on was the difference on total points between Dai and the rest. Our bottom line: if Nobu's 4T gets called for an UR, then Dai's should too. if Dai gets green light on 4T, then Nobu should deverve it too.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    deedee 1, Thanks for the view from the arena. I hope things turn out at CoR so that Nobu gets a rematch with Dai at the GPF.

Custom Title
    Unfortunately didn't. It really seems interesting that Machida has a non-Japanese coach and has historically been sort of an "outsider"
    Will be interesting to see how Japanese nationals shapes up.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22