Ladies Short Program: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program: 2013 NHK Trophy

Icey

Record Breaker
People need to look at the protocols, period. Barring the two-foot on the 3A, the rest of Mao's SP was divine. I think you have to either be a.) a hater, b.) in denial, c.) blind, or d.) completely devoid of artistry and understanding of the sport to ignore her overall skating. There was no falls or evident mistakes, and her short program was beautifully skated. Clearly THAT was enough for the judges to reward Asada's skating. She only got 6+ point on it anyway! Like the Eurosport guys said- the 3A didn't even factor in the overall scoring.

It's not the skaters who are killing the sport. It's not Patrick Chan or Mao Asada who are ruining the sport.

It's the idiots who continue to watch and pretend they know what they're talking about (uhm, go apply for a license to judge. I'm sure Cinquanta would be more than pleased.) who are killing the fun or figure skating.

Peace.

I think saying "they" are killing the sport is on the excessive side, but I would be interested to hear the reasons you think they are killing the sport. Personally, I think there are many things hurting the sport ( spotty tv access, etc) , but I would place these people you call "idiots" near the bottom of the list.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Mao gets credit for her 3A on base mark which is enough.

Her 3A was
1) slightly underrotated
2) had a turnout
3) had a slight touch down of the free foot.

Sorry but there is no way in hell that his jump should get anything more than a -2, in fact Asada should get a -3 for it which only one single judge out of 9 had the courage to do. Two judges awarded this an element even a -1 which is simply wrong judging.

That's why its call figure skating. Patrick Chan has gotten away so many times with less serve -GOE and even +GOE for his triple splats. So has Carolina and other skaters.

astronaut

Rinkside
I don't think the sport is being killed by fans who will watch and are interested. We live in a World where folks would rather
watch Honey Boo Boo and Dog The Bounty Hunter than this beautiful sport/artform known as figure skating. Thank goodness
for NBC's capsule coverage, the various and sundrie online options and youtube fs videos.

And while we're drifting a bit, this sure is a nice board. :clap:

Mike

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
If you don't, then you don't. A lot of us don't agree with supreme court decisions, but it is there for a reason.
The point is, there has to be someone else monitoring the nonsensical judging that is going on. Just ask them to explain it.

New system could be perfect if they do what the system's designed to do. Only people without eyes would put Gracie's CH higher than Valentina's CH here? If the judges can't explain why they put so and so, they should be banned.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with the gist of what you are saying, but as Mathman pointed out, there already IS a system in place. I think the real problem with IJS (at least probably the most glaring one) is the anonymous judging, because with it accountability to fans of the sport goes out the window.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Btw., are there any official communication channels between the competitiors and the judges, even if relayed anonymously through ISU? I wonder what skaters can do if they have questions regarding their marks, can they request an explanation from "judge #3", for example? It might be helpful for ISU too to find out whose judgement the athletes find difficult to comprehend. If one judge is asked particularly often by many different skaters, ISU might want to investigate. Is there any such system in place?

Sorry but there is no way in hell that his jump should get anything more than a -2, in fact Asada should get a -3 for it which only one single judge out of 9 had the courage to do. Two judges awarded this an element even a -1 which is simply wrong judging.

I think you will have to find a better example if you want to complain about the judging. Six of the nine judges saw it as a -2 (a fall would have been -3). One thought it was a little worse than that, two thought it was not quite so bad. Throwing out highest and lowest leaves -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2. -1.

I'm not exactly tearing my hair out about the vagaries of the judging system. ;)

David21

On the Ice
I think you will have to find a better example if you want to complain about the judging. Six of the nine judges saw it as a -2 (a fall would have been -3). One thought it was a little worse than that, two thought it was not quite so bad. Throwing out highest and lowest leaves -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2. -1.

I'm not exactly tearing my hair out about the vagaries of the judging system. ;)

Like I said, the jump should have gotten a minus 3 since deductions are cumulative. Not a single minus 3 was counted for the jump (instead even one minus 1 was counted) which is a shame. Of course some other marks were also dubious but at least the PCS are more subjective and more open to debate.

Like I said, the jump should have gotten a minus 3 since deductions are cumulative. Not a single minus 3 was counted for the jump (instead even one minus 1 was counted) which is a shame. Of course some other marks were also dubious but at least the PCS are more subjective and more open to debate.

Looking at the published criteria for negative GOE, I think the judges took off -1 for "under-rotation, no <", and -1 for "weak landing." The "landed on two feet" error (-3 all by itself) means actually coming down plop with the weight on both feet.

In addition some of the judges might have felt that there were mitigating positive features, such as good height and distance, good air position. element timed to the musical structure, etc.

Of all the questions that can be raised about the judging so far, this one has to be pretty far down the list, IMHO.

David21

On the Ice
Looking at the published criteria for negative GOE, I think the judges took off -1 for "under-rotation, no <", and -1 for "weak landing." The "landed on two feet" error (-3 all by itself) means actually coming down plop with the weight on both feet.

In addition some of the judges might have felt that there were mitigating positive features, such as good height and distance, good air position. element timed to the musical structure, etc.

"Weak landing" does not mean turnout + touch down of free foot. Those are errors are listed separately.

For each of them you get at least -1, for the underrotation another -1, that makes it -3 overall and that is already generous. And positive features for that axel which wasn't very high, did not have a difficult entry etc. I totally disagree with that.

shine

Record Breaker
The performance was wonderful. Her jump technique is bad, though. I thought she had fixed a lot of it, but in this performance she reverted back to the crazy pre-rotations on her jumps. Her combo really could have been called as 3Lutz<+3Toe<<.

Still, the steps and spins were technically superb. Great program, beautifully delivered. I'm actually happy she didn't get that harsh of an underrotation call (even though it was deserved), because the judges held her down a ridiculous amount on the PCS and also a bit on the scores of the non-jump elements. That combination spin she did was incredibly difficult.

I would have put her 3rd or 4th here.

I agree. Between her and Radionova, there really shouldn't be that much of a gap PCS, if at all. Actually I think she deserves higher PCS than Elena. Although I love both, Satoko is way more polished and has better lines and maturity. I think she gets undermarked because of her physical size. She really should be getting 7s in PCS.

miki88

Medalist
Oh the nitpicking on scores, which neither changes the final result or standing. It's things like this that I feel nostalgic about 6.0 when fans would just enjoy performances instead of questioning judges' scores on individual elements.

Oh the nitpicking on scores, which neither changes the final result or standing. It's things like this that I feel nostalgic about 6.0 when fans would just enjoy performances instead of questioning judges' scores on individual elements.

So true. Back then we could only holler and scream about the judging overall, not element by element. :)

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
If I did the math correctly, not until 5:10 AM eastern.

I'll be back tomorrow for my post-competition PBP reading-fest. :biggrin: If I weren't just getting over the flu I'd have more energy to stay up for the early bird competitions!

elif

Medalist
Why judges using underrotated < jumps for only lower ranked skaters? I think Asada's 3A and Gold's 3Lo looked underrotated. This is Olympic year. I hope this not a trend for this year. :confused:

mary01

Final Flight
Why judges using underrotated < jumps for only lower ranked skaters? I think Asada's 3A and Gold's 3Lo looked underrotated. This is Olympic year. I hope this not a trend for this year. :confused:

Mao's 3A was rotated enough to get full base value, every commentator whether British, German, or Russian said so, and more importantly so did the technical panel, so why don't you finally accept it !