Short Dance: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Short Dance: 2013 NHK Trophy

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They went down 2.0 points from the SA performance. C/L also lost points from SA. Only the Shibs improved their scores. Interesting...

In reviewing protocols, D/W rated only L3 twizzles for this performance, which is certainly out of the ordinary for them. That accounts for one of the two points on base value.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I/K's BV was only three points higher than S/Z, who lost an entire Finnstep sequence: :eek:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It looks like the technical panel was very particular on all the levels for all the teams.

I think that's great. It saves hearing a lot of arguing over judging bias on the board! :)

My feed went dead about 3 seconds after C/L started skating, which totally bummed me out because I think that may be the best choreographed of all the SDs this year. Mao to the rescue! (yet again!).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In reviewing protocols, D/W rated only L3 twizzles for this performance, which is certainly out of the ordinary for them. That accounts for one of the two points on base value.

D/W had a level three/four step sequence; they had level four on both previously. So there's the other point.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Meryl and Charlie, love them! Shibs skated great tonight much improved.
Anna and Luca imo were not as sharp as SA but nevertheless still fabulous!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
IS anyone else having trouble with the Icenetwork feed. I might as well not be watching the skating. : ( This is getting very frustrating.

I'm sorry you had trouble samson. Icenetwork isn't in the budget for me this year but I remember there was always some kind of hassle or another with their feed, either it was choppy or nothing came on at all making me miss parts of the skating. This time I just stuck to the Russian feed. It's free and I didn't have any problems with the feed at all.

Whose idea was the little box anyway? I haven't decided if it's helpful or annoying.

It reminds me a little bit of the Green light/Red light scoring feature during NBC's coverage of Olympic gymnastics. Only no where near as annoying. It's actually kind of interesting to see the current skater's TES scores adding up versus the Leader. Even if they often have to adjust it at the end! :laugh:

I really enjoyed D/W's SD but for me they've just never found anything to equal their Bollywood SD from the 2010 Olympic season. Technically it was superb of course but "My Fair Lady" has so been done before. And IMO years ago Klimova and Ponomarenko did it much better - although it's true they didn't have COP restrictions on their choreo/creativity. :biggrin:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/W had a level three/four step sequence; they had level four on both previously. So there's the other point.

Thanks! I see it now on the protocol review.

Has anyone gotten L4 on the non-touch steps this season? I can't recall. It must be quite difficult to achieve.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For the record here's the Finnstep levels from Skate America:
Davis/White: 16.07
Cappellini/Lanotte: 15.28
Reeds: 11.43
Shibutanis: 10.72

And now for NHK:
Davis/White: 15.21
Cappellini/Lanotte: 12.64
Shibutanis: 12.64
Gilles/Poirier: 12.00
Ilinykh/Katsalapov: 11.50
Kolbe/Caruso: 11.50
Reeds: 9.93
Sinitsina/Zhiganshin: 5.79.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Has anyone gotten L4 on the non-touch steps this season? I can't recall. It must be quite difficult to achieve.

Cappellini and Lanotte did a Skate America. In fact, that is what put them over D/W in BV there.

The box works fantastically well. It shows the viewers the scores as they happen plus all revisions in real time, which makes a good talking point for commentators and scores don't suddenly appear out of nowhere.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The box works fantastically well. It shows the viewers the scores as they happen plus all revisions in real time, which makes a good talking point for commentators and scores don't suddenly appear out of nowhere.

Yeah, we sadly all saw Oda get lower and lower TES by the second. :(

samson

Medalist
It's funny to think that the difference in base value was exactly the difference in overall score for them here. They had a slightly higher GOE at Skate America but the PCS was just barely stronger here at NHK. Not really relevant for much of anything but still fun to know!

It looks like the Shibs are gaining some momentum again finally. I think the finnstep just suits them really well. It's funny, this SD score moves them up in the season rankings to 7th best SD but it only brings them past junior teams.

Going to have to wait until our hero Mao puts up videos since my Icenetwork feed is still giving me trouble. Is anyone else out there struggling with it?? It's very frustrating!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

Cappellini/Lanotte at Skate America did it and Virtue/Moir at Skate Canada with +3 GOE

A.H.Black

Final Flight
For the record here's the Finnstep levels from Skate America:
Davis/White: 16.07
Cappellini/Lanotte: 15.28
Reeds: 11.43
Shibutanis: 10.72

And now for NHK:
Davis/White: 15.21
Cappellini/Lanotte: 12.64
Shibutanis: 12.64
Gilles/Poirier: 12.00
Ilinykh/Katsalapov: 11.50
Kolbe/Caruso: 11.50
Reeds: 9.93
Sinitsina/Zhiganshin: 5.79.

Thanks. So the Shibutanis were the only team that went up? Didn't they have a problem in Skate America? Or was that the free dance?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks. So the Shibutanis were the only team that went up? Didn't they have a problem in Skate America? Or was that the free dance?

Yes, out of the teams that skated in a previous GP event, which all happen to be Skate America.

Are you referring to Alex's fall in the FD? Luckily the fall didn't come during an element like it did for Sinitsina/Zhiganshin. Speaking of which, what happened to them? Not just with the fall, but overall they seem much less crisp then when I remember them from last season.

So true. They barely beat Virtue and Moir's Skate Canada score.

However, Skate Canada had a much less strict tech caller, just as Skate America did. I'd be interested to see how they score in TEB next week.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's funny to think that the difference in base value was exactly the difference in overall score for them here. They had a slightly higher GOE at Skate America but the PCS was just barely stronger here at NHK. Not really relevant for much of anything but still fun to know!

It looks like the Shibs are gaining some momentum again finally. I think the finnstep just suits them really well. It's funny, this SD score moves them up in the season rankings to 7th best SD but it only brings them past junior teams.

Going to have to wait until our hero Mao puts up videos since my Icenetwork feed is still giving me trouble. Is anyone else out there struggling with it?? It's very frustrating!

Have you tried watching the Russian feed samson? http://tvonsite.org/index.php?kanal=sport2

It worked great for me (I'm in the States).

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
So true. They barely beat Virtue and Moir's Skate Canada score.

But then Voir hasn't skated off home soil yet. So it will be very interesting to see how they do. I think all this shows is how generous the judging panels were at SA and SC.