Gracie's SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gracie's SP

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Gracie Gold can you stop moving your arms so much? Her arm movements are very distracting and it's not even pretty. It's like a crazy lady swinging her arms left and right. That music sucks too.....

I agree about the arm flailing, it is too much.

meem

On the Ice
Someone needs to tell GG to "stop with the flailing arms" - it's so irritating (along with her fingernails-on-a-blackboard music). Some folks complained about Dick Button's comments back in the day but his observations of OTT things like this are missed (wasn't Dick the one who called it "hanging laundry"?)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Personally I don´t like her sp music, but I don´t have to, LOL. The main thing is that she has a good programme which - if skated faultlessly - will bring her excellent scores. And she interprets the music really well and the choreography (including the arms) suits the music perfectly, in my opinion.

I hope Gracie has the sense to keep away from skating forums and concentrate only on the feedback she is getting from the judges.....

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Personally I don´t like her sp music, but I don´t have to, LOL. The main thing is that she has a good programme which - if skated faultlessly - will bring her excellent scores. And she interprets the music really well and the choreography (including the arms) suits the music perfectly, in my opinion...

I am tremendously impressed with this program now that I can lower the volume on my tv. Her arms ARE constantly moving, but so is her entire body. Maybe you have to have skated or danced to get it. She's not just doing Urmanov or Lysacek flailing arms, her entire body is into it. This has probably now become my favorite SP of the season, due to its obstinance and universal hatred. I love it.

Selene

On the Ice
Her short program music is too screachy and frantic. It's not good skating music. And she looks like a windmill with all of her arm flailing, trying to interpret it.

Her programs are both bad, but she could score very well with them if she had any jump consistency. But her technical ability has all but vanished. She is lucky to land 3 clean triples in her long programs now. She had no 3Lz-3T or 2A-3T in her programs at NHK. She won't beat Ashley Wagner or anyone of note (and she hasn't, all season) if she doesn't sort out her jump issues. Her technical ability is non-existent right now. And I don't think Frank slowing her down (and she looks as slow as molasses out there now) is doing anything to help her jumps. I wish she would skate to showcase her strengths, rather than reduce her speed and skate to programs that don't suit her in a futile effort to be considered an artist.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Um, didn't she land the 3Lz+3T at SC just two weeks ago in both programs? I wouldn't say that it's "gone". :rolleye:

thinspread

On the Ice
I'm optimistic on Gracie. She is making progress with her presentation. I think she's a diligent and motivated learner. She already has the jumps -- the scale, the rotations -- and that's a huge asset to capitalize on when she go forward with improving on other aspects of her skating. It might be a much bigger asset in the long run, than some pre-puberty consistency with smaller jumps. She's young, and I hope she continue with the competitive career until 2018, no matter she end up on the podium at Sochi or not.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Um, didn't she land the 3Lz+3T at SC just two weeks ago in both programs? I wouldn't say that it's "gone". :rolleye:

Too bad she didn't have the rest of her jumps two weeks ago either.

She has potential, sure. But she's not going to go the way she wants to if she doesn't sort out her "jump" issues.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
I like the music, and Ekaterina Gordeeva did a fantastic job with it.

I'm sorry, since when is Gracie Gold even remotely near or on the same level as Ekaterina Gordeeva when it comes to artistry and interpretation?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Too bad she didn't have the rest of her jumps two weeks ago either.

She has potential, sure. But she's not going to go the way she wants to if she doesn't sort out her "jump" issues.

That was in response to "her jumps are gone, esp her 3+3". I don't think it's that they are gone, I think it's that she's getting settled in a new training environment and style and just isn't there yet with that training method. Give her the time between now and Nationals as she and FrankC learn each other more and she gets more settled. She looked a lot more settled at SCI with FrankC at the boards and a little unsettled with Scott Brown this past weekend. I am sure that FrankC is working on her mental game - which is where she needs the most focus - as he's been good with that for a self motivated skater that just needs confidence (which is how I'd describe her).

Moment

Final Flight
I'm sorry, since when is Gracie Gold even remotely near or on the same level as Ekaterina Gordeeva when it comes to artistry and interpretation?

I didn't say something like that though? Please don't twist my words.

Yes, the problem is Gracie/her inability to interpret "unusual" music. She could use some other pieces that could help her.