Pairs Free Skating: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skating: 2013 NHK Trophy

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Mens free skate starting momentarily so I'm hopping over to that thread. Hope to see many of you there. Thanks for a great discussion of the pairs!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Since they are the only tiny pair in the world first I thought they could get away with it, with the lady being light overall.
But when I think back at SA, Han didn't look very cheerful (which he usually does even with a bad performance) after skating but exhausted… He was hanging on there. So tragic…his only fault is he couldn't grow several inches taller.

Sui isn't light anymore, she grew and filled out and will probably grow taller
hence the aborted lifts, jump and throw problems

baically their root problem is Han is a midget for a male pairs compared with Sui

metatron

Spectator
:cry:Since my heart is really broken by Sui/Han today, I have to imagine some sort of conspiracy theory here:
1) Right before the competition, Peng/Zhang and Sui/Han was told whichever pair got the 2nd, goes Sochi. Therefore, Han got super super nervous and broke down;
2) Han was told Sui will be competing with another partner.
3) Han senses Sui is still growing and felt hopeless for the future. :cry:

1. Which pair goes to Sochi depend on the highest score they get, 70% from international and 30% from national competition. PZ has much higher score than SH in national competition and got enough score in COC to beat SH.
2. Not possible, currently no better male partner than Han. Similarly, just see how diffcult Narumi find a new partner and how they perform now.
3. Sui grew last year and had serious bone problem caused by her growth. She is not likely to recover unless the growth stops.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Remind me of the Italian dancer some years ago, at a leaser scale. By the way, is that dancer coaching one of the current top dance team? I think I saw her a couple of times by the board.

Barbara Fusar-Poli and yes, she is a coach who collaborates with Igor Shpilband.

oleada

Record Breaker
V/T are amazing. Skating after Sui/Han, their lines & basics look even better than they already are (which is very, very good). I find that the program is growing on me. And live, they, to me, had more flow, speed and power than almost any other team. And I saw them in their second season together so I imagine this is even stronger now. I also think they seem like nice people and come across as super appreciative of their fans.

Sui/Han have made improvements (which are very noticeable on the SP), but I find this LP doesn't highlight their best qualities. And of course, this performance was a mess. I think that if she grows a bit (either heightwise & width wise) he will have even more trouble lifting her.

Re Sui/Han, I just looked them up on Wikipedia to see their ages and heights and found this (!):

Age controversy

In February 2011, Sui's and her partner's ages became the subject of controversy. Although her ISU bio lists Sui as born on July 18, 1995, a Chinese website suggested she was born on May 7, 1997.[2] This would mean she was 12 and thus, too young to compete in junior events during the 2009–10 season, including the 2010 World Junior Championships, as well as senior Grand Prix events during the 2010–11 season.[2] Her partner's age also came under scrutiny. His ISU bio states that he was born on August 6, 1992 but the Chinese website suggested he was born in March 1989, making him too old to compete in junior events during the 2010–11 season.[2]

This is well known. I think other athletes whose ages were questioned were Yu/Jin, Zhang/Zhang & Bingwa Geng.

gold12345

Medalist
Sometimes Sui/Han rush into their lifts and I worry they aren't going to get up. And it's become even more glaring now that she's closer to him in size.

Pair skating is cruel. Han is a great pair skater, but at 5'7", he doesn't really belong in Sr pairs. Sui must really be feeling the pressure to stay extra small.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sui/han had a really rough skate. If looks could kill the ones she was throwing his way would definitely do harm. Hope all is alright with him (there was no chance that last lift was ever getting up).

This reminds me I think of that Italian coach with Shipland - didn't she give her partner the stare of death at the Olympics in I believe 2006? I just remember this woman with a rather harsh look giving the Joan Collins/Susan Lucci stare. I think it is her - well it looks like her - that was a moment that will long be remembered in Olymic history. She really had that witch with a capital B look (oops sorry if that is too nasty).

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order)

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Anastasia MARTIUSHEVA / Alexei ROGONOV (RUS) Long Program
2. Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA (JPN) Long Program
3. Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS (CAN) Long Program, 2nd Copy
4. Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR (USA) Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER (USA) Long Program, 2nd Copy
6. Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG (CHN) Long Program, 2nd Copy
7. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) Long Program, 2nd Copy
8. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, Interview

Medal Ceremony

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

jacob145

Spectator
I think all of your theories are possible!!! Very possible, actually, especially 3 given what I just found on Wikipedia. If she's only 14 or 15 she could still grow quite a bit more.

As a skate fan from China, I agree with @metatron 's remarks. Han is curently the best suitable partner for Sui. And in China, pairs don't break or form that frequently as in European and Northen America, unless in the rare case like Zhangdan with Zhanghao.
And for their height issue, he is 3 years older than she. As we know that girls reach their puberty earlier that boys. If Sui continues to grow, there's no reason why he stops growing.
The competitive situation between S/H and P/Z is favoring the latter, with 21 points lead in Nationals. Sui had a serious problem with her blade. Although the highest score of international competitions weighs more than that of the nationals(70%: 30%), S/H stills have to beat P/Z at least 10 points in Internationals.
As for the terrible performance of this pair, news confirms that Han has got a bad fever arriving in Japan and is sent to hospital right after the LP. I hope him welll.

Last edited by a moderator:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
NEWS (I think?), re Sui/Han:

Han has been feeling ill, according to the ISU's official recap of the FS.
(Sorry, I have not read this thread -- don't know if his condition already has been discussed.)

Excerpt:
Sui/Han’s program to “Kalinka” included a quadruple twist, a throw triple Salchow and two level-four lifts, but they made several errors including her falling from a lift. The three-time World Junior Champions received 101.19 points and slipped to third at 171.32 points. “It was not a good competition for us. Yesterday I started having a headache and a fever. I ended up getting up at 2 am and couldn’t go back to bed until 5 am. I had to be on the 6 am bus. I’m feeling very bad”, Han explained.

tulosai

Record Breaker
That was their most horrible skate. The pressure got to them.

Good news is both teams have a silver and a bronze (24 points) and Sui & Han break the tie with a 193 total. Both teams come out ahead of the Italians.

Besides V&T who now have officially made GPF, it looks like the most likely contenders for GPF are the Germans, P&T and the two Canadian teams. That leaves Sui & Han as the 6th team to qualify for the GPF UNLESS Denney & Coughlin wins in France (ahead of Pang & Tong and Duhamel & Radford) or Stolboa & Klimov wins silver or above (ahead of the Germans or MT&T) in Russia.

Don't forget B/L. It depends how it shakes out but they are very capable of 2 silvers or a silver and a bronze with (maybe) higher score than S/H. They are also capable of 4th though we'll have to see.

shuchong

Spectator
According to Sui Wenjing, Han cong has a fever and was sent to hospital right after the competition....
NEWS (I think?), re Sui/Han:

Han has been feeling ill, according to the ISU's official recap.
(Sorry, I have not read this thread -- don't know if his condition already has been discussed.)

Excerpt:
Sui/Han’s program to “Kalinka” included a quadruple twist, a throw triple Salchow and two level-four lifts, but they made several errors including her falling from a lift. The three-time World Junior Champions received 101.19 points and slipped to third at 171.32 points. “It was not a good competition for us. Yesterday I started having a headache and a fever. I ended up getting up at 2 am and couldn’t go back to bed until 5 am. I had to be on the 6 am bus. I’m feeling very bad”, Han explained.

shuchong

Spectator
I feel much better after I know that too. I really love this pair and hope they will be on the podium in the future include the WC and OG. I feel weird since Han Cong made nearly no mistakes in the competition these years. A GP can't make him that nervous and awkward. Must be some reason there.
Thank you for the update. I feel much better for this pair now.