Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Pairs Free Skating: 2013 NHK Trophy

Custom Title
    So much politiking from a non-fan of V/T, hmmmm

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
    Sui/han had a really rough skate. If looks could kill the ones she was throwing his way would definitely do harm. Hope all is alright with him (there was no chance that last lift was ever getting up).
    This reminds me I think of that Italian coach with Shipland - didn't she give her partner the stare of death at the Olympics in I believe 2006? I just remember this woman with a rather harsh look giving the Joan Collins/Susan Lucci stare. I think it is her - well it looks like her - that was a moment that will long be remembered in Olymic history. She really had that witch with a capital B look (oops sorry if that is too nasty).

PAIRS FREE SKATE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order)

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Anastasia MARTIUSHEVA / Alexei ROGONOV (RUS) Long Program
    2. Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA (JPN) Long Program
    3. Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS (CAN) Long Program, 2nd Copy
    4. Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR (USA) Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER (USA) Long Program, 2nd Copy
    6. Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG (CHN) Long Program, 2nd Copy
    7. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) Long Program, 2nd Copy
    8. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, Interview

Medal Ceremony

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

Rinkside

Pairs Free Skating: 2013 NHK Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    I think all of your theories are possible!!! Very possible, actually, especially 3 given what I just found on Wikipedia. If she's only 14 or 15 she could still grow quite a bit more.
    As a skate fan from China, I agree with @metatron 's remarks. Han is curently the best suitable partner for Sui. And in China, pairs don't break or form that frequently as in European and Northen America, unless in the rare case like Zhangdan with Zhanghao.
    And for their height issue, he is 3 years older than she. As we know that girls reach their puberty earlier that boys. If Sui continues to grow, there's no reason why he stops growing.
    The competitive situation between S/H and P/Z is favoring the latter, with 21 points lead in Nationals. Sui had a serious problem with her blade. Although the highest score of international competitions weighs more than that of the nationals(70%: 30%), S/H stills have to beat P/Z at least 10 points in Internationals.
    As for the terrible performance of this pair, news confirms that Han has got a bad fever arriving in Japan and is sent to hospital right after the LP. I hope him welll.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-09-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    NEWS (I think?), re Sui/Han:

Han has been feeling ill, according to the ISU's official recap of the FS.
    (Sorry, I have not read this thread -- don't know if his condition already has been discussed.)

Excerpt:
    Sui/Han’s program to “Kalinka” included a quadruple twist, a throw triple Salchow and two level-four lifts, but they made several errors including her falling from a lift. The three-time World Junior Champions received 101.19 points and slipped to third at 171.32 points. “It was not a good competition for us. Yesterday I started having a headache and a fever. I ended up getting up at 2 am and couldn’t go back to bed until 5 am. I had to be on the 6 am bus. I’m feeling very bad”, Han explained.

Quote Originally Posted by marcolee925 View Post
    That was their most horrible skate. The pressure got to them.

Good news is both teams have a silver and a bronze (24 points) and Sui & Han break the tie with a 193 total. Both teams come out ahead of the Italians.

Besides V&T who now have officially made GPF, it looks like the most likely contenders for GPF are the Germans, P&T and the two Canadian teams. That leaves Sui & Han as the 6th team to qualify for the GPF UNLESS Denney & Coughlin wins in France (ahead of Pang & Tong and Duhamel & Radford) or Stolboa & Klimov wins silver or above (ahead of the Germans or MT&T) in Russia.
    Don't forget B/L. It depends how it shakes out but they are very capable of 2 silvers or a silver and a bronze with (maybe) higher score than S/H. They are also capable of 4th though we'll have to see.

Custom Title
    is anyone else having trouble viewing Denney/Frazier video link?

Rinkside
    According to Sui Wenjing, Han cong has a fever and was sent to hospital right after the competition....
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    NEWS (I think?), re Sui/Han:

Han has been feeling ill, according to the ISU's official recap.
    (Sorry, I have not read this thread -- don't know if his condition already has been discussed.)

Excerpt:
    Sui/Han’s program to “Kalinka” included a quadruple twist, a throw triple Salchow and two level-four lifts, but they made several errors including her falling from a lift. The three-time World Junior Champions received 101.19 points and slipped to third at 171.32 points. “It was not a good competition for us. Yesterday I started having a headache and a fever. I ended up getting up at 2 am and couldn’t go back to bed until 5 am. I had to be on the 6 am bus. I’m feeling very bad”, Han explained.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shuchong View Post
    According to Sui Wenjing, Han cong has a fever and was sent to hospital right after the competition....
    Thank you for the update. I feel much better for this pair now.

Rinkside
    I feel much better after I know that too. I really love this pair and hope they will be on the podium in the future include the WC and OG. I feel weird since Han Cong made nearly no mistakes in the competition these years. A GP can't make him that nervous and awkward. Must be some reason there.
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    Thank you for the update. I feel much better for this pair now.

Tripping on the Podium
    Poor Sui/Han...I hope Han gets better soon, and that Sui wasn't hurt too much from all those falls. Eek. It seems like he probably didn't have the strength to lift/throw...

V/T- It's amazing how they do what they do. Their throws, to die for...omg. I can watch those throws over and over on replay.
    They obviously know they're good though- and he's not the most humble person I hear...
    They have a lot of confidence going into the OG- and that's probably the most important factor: To know that you are good and the judges like you.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    No, I don't think so: the tiebreaker is the TOTAL amount of points that a skater receives during the two GPs and S/H are behind P/Z with this extremely low score here... P/Z will be the 6th pair to make it to the final I think (not completely sure, though) unless something disastrous happens to one of the top couples
    You are absolutely right. Thanks for that.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2013/gpspairs.htm

Custom Title
    Still not a fan of V/T's FS but there's no denying they are in a league of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    This reminds me I think of that Italian coach with Shipland - didn't she give her partner the stare of death at the Olympics in I believe 2006? I just remember this woman with a rather harsh look giving the Joan Collins/Susan Lucci stare. I think it is her - well it looks like her - that was a moment that will long be remembered in Olymic history. She really had that witch with a capital B look (oops sorry if that is too nasty).
    Yes that is Babs - as others have pointed out. The same one who did the death stare down of her partner after the OD in 2006.

I recently noticed when you start to type "Barbara Fusar-Poli" into google, the first three suggestions that pop up are "Barbara Fusar-Poli stare," "Barbara Fusar-Poli death stare" and "Barbara Fusar-Poli glare."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11