Pairs Free Skating: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skating: 2013 NHK Trophy

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
V and T were sensational :) i thought that was better than skate america even though it was a slightly lower score.

words, seeing them live at SA and watching their interview they too seemed very gracious towards everyone.

Oh, Macy, lucky you to see them live! I saw their interview there and that's when I started to really like them. They don't seem at all diva like to me, either of them. He is incredibly sweet towards her, so protective and gallant.

apple123

On the Ice
Read some of the interviews with Trankov. They are very amusing. ;)

Example: Him throwing a fit and screaming at his coach telling her that her training program doesn't work.

You tell the truth, even if it's ugly!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
That was their most horrible skate. The pressure got to them.

Good news is both teams have a silver and a bronze (24 points) and Sui & Han break the tie with a 193 total. Both teams come out ahead of the Italians.

Besides V&T who now have officially made GPF, it looks like the most likely contenders for GPF are the Germans, P&T and the two Canadian teams. That leaves Sui & Han as the 6th team to qualify for the GPF UNLESS Denney & Coughlin wins in France (ahead of Pang & Tong and Duhamel & Radford) or Stolboa & Klimov wins silver or above (ahead of the Germans or MT&T) in Russia.
No, I don't think so: the tiebreaker is the TOTAL amount of points that a skater receives during the two GPs and S/H are behind P/Z with this extremely low score here... P/Z will be the 6th pair to make it to the final I think (not completely sure, though) unless something disastrous happens to one of the top couples

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
SUI/Han they are still so small
I think their height similarity has caught up with them

Yu/Jin the junior pairs have a better future than these two

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Read some of the interviews with Trankov. They are very amusing. ;)

Example: Him throwing a fit and screaming at his coach telling her that her training program doesn't work.

Can you post them?? In any case, he seems gracious with the fans and with her, and she seems like a really sweet girl.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No, I don't think so: the tiebreaker is the TOTAL amount of points that a skater receives during the two GPs and S/H are behind P/Z with this extremely low score here... P/Z will be the 6th pair to make it to the final I think (not completely sure, though) unless something disastrous happens to one of the top couples

you forgot B/L who haven't skated yet

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
SUI/Han they are still so small
I think their height similarity has caught up with them

Yu/Jin the junior pairs have a better future than these two

yes, they are too similar in height- that's also part of what I was getting at. They just look a little awkward together.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
:cry:Since my heart is really broken by Sui/Han today, I have to imagine some sort of conspiracy theory here:
1) Right before the competition, Peng/Zhang and Sui/Han was told whichever pair got the 2nd, goes Sochi. Therefore, Han got super super nervous and broke down;
2) Han was told Sui will be competing with another partner.
3) Han senses Sui is still growing and felt hopeless for the future. :cry:

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Re Sui/Han, I just looked them up on Wikipedia to see their ages and heights and found this (!):

Age controversy

In February 2011, Sui's and her partner's ages became the subject of controversy. Although her ISU bio lists Sui as born on July 18, 1995, a Chinese website suggested she was born on May 7, 1997.[2] This would mean she was 12 and thus, too young to compete in junior events during the 2009–10 season, including the 2010 World Junior Championships, as well as senior Grand Prix events during the 2010–11 season.[2] Her partner's age also came under scrutiny. His ISU bio states that he was born on August 6, 1992 but the Chinese website suggested he was born in March 1989, making him too old to compete in junior events during the 2010–11 season.[2]

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
:cry:Since my heart is really broken by Sui/Han today, I have to imagine some sort of conspiracy theory here:
1) Right before the competition, Peng/Zhang and Sui/Han was told whichever pair got the 2nd, goes Sochi. Therefore, Han got super super nervous and broke down;
2) Han was told Sui will be competing with another partner.
3) Han senses Sui is still growing and felt hopeless for the future. :cry:

I think all of your theories are possible!!! Very possible, actually, especially 3 given what I just found on Wikipedia. If she's only 14 or 15 she could still grow quite a bit more.

flaneur

On the Ice
Haha, now this is a proper joke. T is a total Diva. Niceness has nothing to do with him.

Oh I don't know about that. From what I can glean from interviews, while it is obvious that Trankov is the diva of the pair, he also comes off as fairly nice.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Oh my gosh, that look was LETHAL! That's what I was referring to all along.

Remind me of the Italian dancer some years ago, at a leaser scale. By the way, is that dancer coaching one of the current top dance team? I think I saw her a couple of times by the board.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think all of your theories are possible!!! Very possible, actually, especially 3 given what I just found on Wikipedia. If she's only 14 or 15 she could still grow quite a bit more.

she cant afford to grow another inch or else their done for good
anyways similar height teams have no future, I don't see a long term partnership with Sui/Han

rule no.1 in Pairs: You have No future with similar height

flaneur

On the Ice
anyways similar height teams have no future, I don't see a long term partnership with Sui/Han

the only exception i can think of is Yamaguchi and Galindo... although they didn't last for that long.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker

Since they are the only tiny pair in the world first I thought they could get away with it, with the lady being light overall.
But when I think back at SA, Han didn't look very cheerful (which he usually does even with a bad performance) after skating but exhausted… He was hanging on there. So tragic…his only fault is he couldn't grow several inches taller.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
the only exception i can think of is Yamaguchi and Galindo... although they didn't last for that long.

True, and Gardner/Babilonia to some extent. They both had excellent coaches/choreographers who found ways to make the height similarity work as a positive- I recently heard an interview with Tai and read one with Rudy in which they talked about this. But in this day and age with a higher technical content required, I think height similarity is even more of an issue.