Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: Is Romeo and Juliet working for Ashley?

  1. #1
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    585

    Is Romeo and Juliet working for Ashley?

    I remember how excited she was about this program during her interview for the Skating Lesson, but I don't think the program is doing what Ashley wanted to do. JMO. I think this season she wanted to prove that she can compete with the big three on PCS by choosing a different type of program. But I don't think the program is doing its job.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,522
    I do. She is never going to get the same PCS as Yuna, Mao, or Caro if they skate clean. She isn't as good as they are on the criteria judged. However, she is getting among the highest PCS of that next group after the top 3. She is in a great position to win a bronze medal and no other program is going to allow her to take down Mao or Yuna.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    226
    She's doing her best, I feel. She's been doing the triple triples, and really selling her performances (especially the sp). She's been emoting a lot more "naturally" than for Samson and Delilah, and while I've never been a fan, I find myself smiling a couple times throughout the program.

    While I didn't LOVE her long the first time, I must admit, it didn't bother me too much, watching it at the GPF. Sure, it didn't have me giving her a standing ovation, but it is a solid program.

    And quite frankly, it's not like she has a shot at gold.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,882
    No, she is badly miscast as Juliet. True she could (and possibly does) skate the music and not the character, but when one knows what the music is, there is the expectation the character is being portrayed. If she is trying to skate Juliet, it certainly is a one dimensional Juliet she is betraying and imo she is not even doing a good job at that. She needs to call in a program doctor quickly, maybe bring in an acting coach for a consultation. The tragedy and drama are basically no shows. Someone said they feared she was still the "almost girl" and it appears she quite likely is. Does anyone know if she plans on continuing after the Olympics?

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    No, she is badly miscast as Juliet. True she could (and possibly does) skate the music and not the character, but when one knows what the music is, there is the expectation the character is being portrayed. If she is trying to skate Juliet, it certainly is a one dimensional Juliet she is betraying and imo she is not even doing a good job at that. She needs to call in a program doctor quickly, maybe bring in an acting coach for a consultation. The tragedy and drama are basically no shows. Someone said they feared she was still the "almost girl" and it appears she quite likely is. Does anyone know if she plans on continuing after the Olympics?
    Aha. You're right. Honestly, I don't think of this as Romeo and Juliet. Especially since the music isn't that recognizable. To me, she doesn't really personify Juliet in any shape or form (sorry but that ending pose was...). I just think of Ashley as skating to a lesser known classical excerpt.

    But I still feel that she is getting into the music, if you will, USING her arms to express it, instead of some of the more obviously choreographed and awkward transitions in Samson and Delilah.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    average program, but her bigger problem is running out of steam as usual by GPF, she's getting worn out as Olympics approaches
    Gracie should easily knock her by Nationals

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    She should dress like t-Rex and skate to Jurassic Park.

  8. #8
    Custom Title chapis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    658
    the problem is the music, it is like a sedative for me

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    She should dress like t-Rex and skate to Jurassic Park.
    she's better skating to warrior themed programs
    but Jurassic Park ?

  10. #10
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    she's better skating to warrior themed programs
    but Jurassic Park ?
    Tonya Harding skated to Jurassic Park. Is that what FlattFan was aiming at? A Tonya Harding "tribute" performance on the 20th anniversary?

  11. #11
    Blue-footed Booby aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,311
    Okay, Ashley is clearly not Juliet because:

    (1) She is not thirteen.
    (2) Ashley should not be portraying an angsty barely-teenager. She is more than twenty years old.
    (3) This is her own spin on things. I honestly don't want to see overtly-literal portrayals all the time.

    I don't mind the music so much. I have problems with overusing music--I think Nino Rota's version of R&J has been used more than other pieces. I can't say that I'm a little sick of overused pieces and then turn around and complain that she's not using music that's recognizable enough. Ashley isn't a "soft" skater either--so Sasha's music wouldn't work as well.

  12. #12
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,119
    The Jurassic Park music isn't bad at all-but to skate to it, she has to get rid of the ponytail.

  13. #13
    Custom Title chapis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    658
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Okay, Ashley is clearly not Juliet because:

    (1) She is not thirteen.
    (2) Ashley should not be portraying an angsty barely-teenager. She is more than twenty years old.
    I know Romeo and Juliet is fiction but even it is ridiculous a little girl of 13 years old deeply in love and committing suicide for love , I know, the autor is Shakespeare but I don´t mind, the story is absurd and stupid with kids as the main characters , so I prefer imagine the same story but older people.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    I remember how excited she was about this program during her interview for the Skating Lesson, but I don't think the program is doing what Ashley wanted to do. JMO. I think this season she wanted to prove that she can compete with the big three on PCS by choosing a different type of program. But I don't think the program is doing its job.
    I think the program has grown from one event to the next, i really like the cut of the music - there is so much light and shade, transitions are great, Ashley is putting out the triple combo (also she needs to add the axel and triple toe combo) but to be honest her spins need attention - she needs to get more variety and up the level - maybe her dress needs changing again (sometimes that makes the difference) - hopefully for Nationals and Olympics - she will make the team - i think you are looking at the National Champion again, Ashley has been consistent (in general)) this season!! and is very close for that podium spot at Sochi!! She certainly is a contender for that Olympic Bronze and in all fairness the only one from North America that has that chance.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    729
    the Black Swan looks best for her, imo. This program is average. Julia's is better..She should go back to the BS w/o doubt!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •