Viktor Petrenko arrested for DUI | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Viktor Petrenko arrested for DUI

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It means anything that impairs your ability, not only alcohol.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Bronxgirl,

I completely agree with what you are saying. I don't think anything is wrong with strict drunk driving laws, etc. What I do find completely bewildering is that they seem to place a crime like child molestation on the same level and tend to hand out comparable punishments. The laws for drunk driving are strict and could stand to be even more so, but those for child molestation are a complete joke. LOL...sorry, a little off topic, but I thought Berthes Ghost raised a valid point concerning child molestation.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Oksana... Alexei... Viktor... hmm....

In all the years I lived in Israel, alcoholism was a non-issue. Period. Then came the HUGE wave of Russian immigration once Russian emigration laws relaxed, and now it is a huge problem in Israel. I found and continue to find this incredibly disturbing.

I'd like to hear a Russian's point of view on alcohol and alcoholism with regard to how it is viewed in Russian culture. Anyone?

Last edited:

bronxgirl

Medalist
Bronzeisgolden,

You don't want to get me started on what I think the sentence for child molestation should be...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Hmmm, I wonder how biiiig that one glass of wine might have been if drinking just that made him to fail in sobriety tests? Well, I have the opinion that one should not drink anything if one plans to drive the same night. And I have been told that the street conditions were not good, which is one more reason for one to stay very sober.

I have to say that I´m disappointed and surprised that Viktor shows this kind of lack in his judgment. He ought to have known better, as well as of course these other skaters (or anyone) who are no longer teenagers... IMO there are no valid excuses for something like this.

Marjaana

Johar

Medalist
I am angry and disappointed in his lack of judgment. I had two friends (brothers) killed by by a drunk driver on Christmas eve. The driver was barely hurt and walked away.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Russia & alcoholism

Certainly, Russia has a problem with alcoholism. There are several reasons for that.

One is the climate. In the winter, when days are very short, people get more depreseed. This has been proven scientifically; that's why in many parts of Alaska people sit under special lamps for an hour or so each day in the winter to prevent this kind of depression. Indeed, alcoholism is the problem primarily in the Northern regions, where winters are the longest. Nor is the problem limited to Russia alone: all Scandinavian countries have this problem to one degree or another; anyone growing up in St. Petersburg has seen the drunk Finns escaping their strict alcohol laws in hospitable Russia.

Another reason is genetic. Russian people have a predesposition to alcoholism, similar to Native Americans. Therefore, for many Russians drinking anything is dangerous, as it may quickly lead to addiction.

Economics conditions. When people live in hopelessness they are more likely to drink. Also, the alcohol problem is the most pronounced in the rural areas, where indeed most men have a problem (and women have the problem of dealing with the drunk men). In the cities, the problems (while certainly there) is far less severe.

Having said all this, I do believe that some of those factors (such as genetics) have contributed to Oksana's problems. I do not, however, believe that Victor's and Alexei's troubles have anything to do with this.

RealtorGal, I hear what you are saying. Back about ten years ago, my cousin moved to Israel and entered military (he is now a leutenant in the marines:)). I recall him saying with awe how during the Sabbath meal there would be wine bottles on the tables, and at the end of the meal they would hardly be touched :).

Finally, I just have to comment on that BBC article. Even though he it fully truthful, there are several things there that are a bit misleading. For instance, they have their the picture of Zhirinovsky advertising his vodka. It just calls Zhirinovsky a "national politician", which is true (is is a member of the Duma). What it fails to mention is that Zhirinovsky is a National joke, kind of the laughing stock of the country. He is racist, an anti-semite (even though he is half-Jewish) and an oppostunist. There are things like that in the article.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Re: Russia & alcoholism

Ptichka said:
Nor is the problem limited to Russia alone: all Scandinavian countries have this problem to one degree or another; anyone growing up in St. Petersburg has seen the drunk Finns escaping their strict alcohol laws in hospitable Russia.

What do you mean by strict alcohol laws in Finland? Those laws don´t prevent people in legal age from drinking... It is just that the alchohol is rather expensive in our country.

Marjaana

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Re: Re: Russia & alcoholism

Jaana said:
What do you mean by strict alcohol laws in Finland? Those laws don´t prevent people in legal age from drinking... It is just that the alchohol is rather expensive in our country.
Jaana, I ment the old pre-1995 (?) laws. I believe Finland has had a complicated set of laws involving when (times of day and days of week), where (stores vs. cafes), what (alcohol content), and to whom (different legal ages of different kinds of liquor) it can be sold.

Here is a quote about Finland and its alcohol laws:The Nordic countries, with the exception of Denmark, have been particularly strong proponents of the Control of Availability theory. For instance, in Finland there was total prohibition between 1919 and 1932. The 1932 Alcohol Act placed alcohol control in the hands of a state-owned alcohol monopoly called Alko. In 1969 a new Alcohol Act allowed the sale of beverage alcohol in ordinary grocery stores and cafes. (Osterberg, 1994) According to statistics from Alko, between 1989 and 1992, the number of retail outlets selling all types of beverage alcohol increased by 8% and per capita consumption in the same period dropped by 5,5%. (Alko Ltd, 1994)

This also is about the challenges facing Finland as it merges into the EU: Also the northwestern countries around the Baltic Sea are undergoing changes that may influence the prevalence of problem drinking there. Denmark, Sweden and Finland must adapt themselves to the slowly proceeding European Union (EU) harmonization that applies also to alcohol sales and has thereby an effect on alcohol consumption and alcohol-related harm (Holder et al., 1995, 1998). For Denmark, the adaptation has meant reduced alcohol taxes to meet the lower German price levels. Sweden and Finland are facing more fundamental challenges, as they have to remould their strict alcohol control policies and state monopolies to changing conditions. In the case of Finland, an additional important element is the opening of borders to the south (Estonia) and east (Russia) that has led to a rapid increase in tourist import of alcoholic beverages, contributing to a rise in aggregate alcohol consumption since 1995.

Another exerpt:In Finland and Sweden, alcohol has been an important policy issue for more than a century, and the temperance movement was a central part of the rise of modern political institutions . [...]In terms of alcohol-related harm, both countries showed an increasing trend in alcohol consumption and alcohol-related harm in the mid-1990s. Contrary to most stereotypical beliefs, the dominant beverage type here is not distilled beverages: beer is clearly the most popular alcoholic drink in Finland, and beer and wines together dominate in Sweden (see e.g. Nordic Alcohol Statistics, 1998). The era of spirits drinking as a dominant feature in the Scandinavian countries ended in the 1960s. This statement hides, however, the fact that spirits drinking did not disappear — only its relative position became weaker. New beverages (beer, wine) came as additions to, not as substitutes for, the traditional beverages.

For more information, this website, though very boring, contains a lot of interesting information on alcohol consumption and laws in Baltic countries.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
bronxgirl said:
Bronzeisgolden,

You don't want to get me started on what I think the sentence for child molestation should be...

my foster brother is enough proof that people that do those things to children should... yeah maybe I won't started either LOL I'd end up getting way off topic and saying more than I should LOL

soogar

Record Breaker
That doesn't surprise me that Viktor had a DUI. Russian athletes commonly get into car accidents. The gymnast Dmitry Bilozerchev (broke his leg in 20 places) and another Russian rythmic gymnast (died in car accident) immediately come to mind. Not to mention the swimmer Alexander Popov getting stabbed in the stomach by a watermelon vender which probably was fueled by alcohol.
It seems to me that Russians are really proud of their ability to drink a lot of vodka. I know people who went there on business trips and at business dinners it was customary to drink tons of vodka. The guy I knew had to develop a way of drinking where it looked like he was drinking but not actually consume the alcohol because it was too much to handle.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Soogar, why are you jumping to conclusions like this? Irish and Russians drink, Americans can't dress, French are rude etc. Some of my friends once ran into Petrenko at a Russian restaurant in Boston; they did not get an impression that he drank a lot.