Thread: Mao Asada: Olympic Gold Medal Favourite?

Hybrid View

Mao Asada: Olympic Gold Medal Favourite?

What a fabulous performance by Mao at the NHK Trophy! A new personal best score in the FS of 136.33 and a new personal best combined total of 207.59.

With Kim having lost a lot of training time, and given Kostner's poor performance at the Cup of China, in my view Mao is now the favourite for the Olympic title in Sochi.

It is also worth noting that Mao's scores in the SP and LP at NHK, were higher than Kostner's personal best SP and LP scores. Hence, even if Kostner is able to get back to her best, so long as Mao maintains her current form, then Kostner cannot beat Mao. Accordingly, the battle for the Olympic gold medal would appear to be a straight fight between Mao and Kim.

Custom Title
    For me, Kim is still the favorite. Mao hasn't yet this season rotated six triples, and Kim can easily do so. I'd prefer Mao to win OGM because I think she and Yuna are two of the most deserving athletes of that title, but Mao needs to clean up all the little mistakes she tends to make in the LP to take the gold.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    For me, Kim is still the favorite. Mao hasn't yet this season rotated six triples, and Kim can easily do so. I'd prefer Mao to win OGM because I think she and Yuna are two of the most deserving athletes of that title, but Mao needs to clean up all the little mistakes she tends to make in the LP to take the gold.
    I'm not Team Mao very much, but I do think she was robbed of the chance to win OGM in 2006. So if she wins, I will be happy for her. However, what she is showing won't hold up to a clean Yuna. Not even close. But good luck.

It's too early. We didn't see Yuna.

Custom Title
    Mao is a lock for silver at least right now. I'd give an edge to Yuna. I think she'll be as strong as ever to the Olympics.

Banned
    depends on how lenient the panels, but I agree she is capitalizing on Yuna's absence in the GP
    right now she has a shot for gold but if Kim shows up clean, she wont beat her, Kim can score 140+ in FS

Kostner is another story, she is a hit or miss
    and tends to bomb in Olympics season

Custom Title
    I love Mao and would love for her to win, but I also love Kim and see that the quality of Kim's jumps (among other things) might weigh overwhelmingly in her favor. For either one to win would be splendid, because they are the two premiere skaters of this generation. The thing about Mao is that she'll never say die and never pull back. This gives a huge boost to her chances to win.

My hope is that both of these ladies give performances in Sochi that are OGM-worthy, and that it comes down to the judges. And maybe that there has to be a tie! Why not dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I love Mao and would love for her to win, but I also love Kim and see that the quality of Kim's jumps (among other things) might weigh overwhelmingly in her favor. For either one to win would be splendid, because they are the two premiere skaters of this generation. The thing about Mao is that she'll never say die and never pull back. This gives a huge boost to her chances to win.

My hope is that both of these ladies give performances in Sochi that are OGM-worthy, and that it comes down to the judges. And maybe that there has to be a tie! Why not dream?
    It is wise to love both on this board or any before their second Olympic showdown.

Both are over rated and usually overscored.

Did you see Kim's SP and fall on double Axel? in Zagreb? Besides her costume, what does Yuna do beside a big 3/3? Mao's SP is beautiful, and would be gorgeous if she were not having to rack up points IJS style. Mao can make simplistic moves beautiful, but IJS requires rushing from this to that. Kim is better at 3x3's and more speed. Mao can do great spin variations, great footwork, and if we could have her skate freely, her skate might be like "Jupiter" her exhibition. Very few skaters perform, can jump cleanly, and have interesting programs. Ashley Wagner is wonderful. Her LP has come along. Sadly, her Black Swan or even Samson and Delilah were better performances, I feel. Her nuances, expression are lovely. I hope she has a miracle and the judges reward her if clean. I wish she had revived Black Swan. No one has an LP with that much power. She is becoming the MK of her generation, and no one really says how good she is. Beautiful, expressive, strong, musical-the whole package. May she get her podium dream. Love her.

I do think that the stars have aligned themselves to put Mao as the prime favorite.

Mao definitely has it in her to beat Yuna. Right now, Mao skating to her potential can beat Yuna even at her best, which probably was during Vancouver season.

But... ice is slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Mao definitely has it in her to beat Yuna. Right now, Mao skating to her potential can beat Yuna even at her best, which probably was during Vancouver season.
    Sorry to turn this into another Mao-Yuna war, but NO WAY Mao can beat Yuna at her best with her pseudo 3-axel. Mao is scoring 207+ not because she became that much better from 2-3 years ago, but only because "another skater" is getting 200+ points so many times.

Custom Title
    It'll not be in Japan so she'll score around 8 points lower so no, not really as long as Kim Yu-Na recovers properly. Even so, she's the favorite for Silver, pretty clearly. If Kim Yu-Na won't recover properly, Mao Asada is the favorite for gold but not that clear of a favorite, and Julia at her best, with home field advantage, has the potential to defeat her.

Custom Title
    Mao has been doing very well, but you have to consider the inflation in the scores this season. If Kim goes clean now, her PCS (and maybe even TES) will be even higher than the one she received in Worlds 2013, which would maybe even beat out her world record in the free of 150.06....

Custom Title
    And plus, we haven't yet seen Kostner at her best. Kostner always makes mistakes in her program. But who knows, if she goes fully clean at the Olympics with 3-3? She'll most likely score higher than Asada.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    What a fabulous performance by Mao at the NHK Trophy! A new personal best score in the FS of 136.33 and a new personal best combined total of 207.59.
    I didn't think Asada's today's performance was that great personally. I hope it will be better at GPF. Compared to her SP, her LP didn't feel really 'gelled'.

On a given day, let the best skate win for any competition. I hope. I suppose two skates over two days really.

Can't say until we see Kim this season, which we haven't yet. It certainly looks like Kim will have more of a challenge than she did last year, though, and competition is always good.