Mao Asada: Olympic Gold Medal Favourite? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada: Olympic Gold Medal Favourite?

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
Her jumps are still under-rotated-- her jumps are too much like Tara Lipinski's. Yuna is favorite. But Julia should and will win.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I hope Mao wins the gold with all my heart, it has been such a difficult quad for her, she came back like a phoenix, i want her to skate her best skate in Sochi and win.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Top should be yuna, mao, Julia, caro, russian? girl, wagner, osmond akiko, gold, kira,

or are these just all my faves?

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
I too am really rooting for Mao, but she still have major problems with her landings. And it's highly improbable they are going to get fix, or get fix enough for her to be consistent and skate clean in time for the Olympics. You know the Olympics are a different animal. Whether the ISU would want to admit it or not, in the Olympics, clean programs are stressed even more so than at any other time in the quad.

nipman

On the Ice
Well, I'm not sure about OGM, but for me Mao will certainly win GPF this year. All she has to do is stay on her feet and jump those underotated triples.

mary01

Final Flight
Well, I'm not sure about OGM, but for me Mao will certainly win GPF this year. All she has to do is stay on her feet and jump those underotated triples.

If you have such a big problem with her having one underrotated jump, you can go watch other watered down layouts, or programs that's filled with major visible mistakes, that is apparently what you looking for.

elif

Medalist

I was going to say, you can't criticize Mao's more than one underrotated triples but looks like I'm too late. :laugh:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Much as I love Mao's beautiful skating, and I think she is definitely a contender... I wouldn't consider her the favourite, when Kim is going to be there.

I personally think Kim's scores get a bit inflated, but I also think that in past victories over Mao that wasn't a factor: she'd still have won regardless (just by smaller margins).

Kim has no particular weaknesses, and the ability (mental strength) to skate a clean program under pressure, when it really matters. I think that's the key, and it makes Kim the favourite.

andyjo24

Medalist
If you have such a big problem with her having one underrotated jump, you can go watch other watered down layouts, or programs that's filled with major visible mistakes, that is apparently what you looking for.

The problem is that she doesn't only have one underrotated jump. She has many jumps that are underrotated and yet she still seems to receive credit for them. I personally like Mao's airy skating a lot and willingness to up her difficulty, but she should receive credit for what she does rotate and not be given breaks.

andyjo24

Medalist
Kostner might pull NHK Dai in COR after poor showing in the first GP.

I completely agree! I feel like she will come back much stronger at the next GP (IMO, she will work her butt off for the next competition in order to not embarass herself again). And as shown at Worlds 2013, she can make a few big mistakes and still receive a PCS of 70+. It's completely ridiculous and unfair how people are already writing her off. Also, although I do admit that she has a good chance at a medal, I still have my doubts about Julia. At SC and Finlandia, she didn't really have that much competition (her main competitors were Akiko, Gracie, etc), but at the Olympics and Worlds, she will be facing Kim, Asada, Kostner, and all the other high-level competitors. She may be intimidated by that. But based off what we've seen so far, she does seem to be a good competitor, so I've decided to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
there can be more than one favorite to win... the two favorites are the same two from Vancouver - like it or not. Only one CAN win, but both outcomes are completely plausible.

mary01

Final Flight
The problem is that she doesn't only have one underrotated jump. She has many jumps that are underrotated and yet she still seems to receive credit for them. I personally like Mao's airy skating a lot and willingness to up her difficulty, but she should receive credit for what she does rotate and not be given breaks.

If you want to talk about the phantom underrotation, you're free to do so. I would rather discuss the actual outcome from the protocols, and there I could only find one. But I do realize that it can be very difficult to criticize a performance to the extend some posters wish, when there is not much to criticize, so in that sense it's very understandable for them to want to create mistakes

elif

Medalist
Creating mistakes you say. :laugh: Nobody underrotating her jumps like Asada. Kim, Gold, Kostner, Russians, Osmond, even Wagner rotating good. Not all time but majority of their jumps are clean. Asada's all jumps looked short. If this is not a mistake I don't know what it is.:laugh:

andyjo24

Medalist
If you want to talk about the phantom underrotation, you're free to do so. I would rather discuss the actual outcome from the protocols, and there I could only find one. But I do realize that it can be very difficult to criticize a performance to the extend some posters wish, when there is not much to criticize, so in that sense it's very understandable for them to want to create mistakes

I don't think the underrotation is "phantom" in any way, considering the great number of posts and threads talking about her underrotations... even Mao fans...

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I don't think the underrotation is "phantom" in any way, considering the great number of posts and threads talking about her underrotations... even Mao fans...

Also,including commentators from all different nationalities.

mary01

Final Flight

All these threads talking about underrotation are just accidentally created from the same person, not suspicious at all :laugh: