Mao Asada: Olympic Gold Medal Favourite? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada: Olympic Gold Medal Favourite?

minze

Medalist
Who would that be? Just read her fan forum: http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4884&st=760

The comments tend to: over all good, not bad, she seemed tense, she didn't seem to enjoy herself, etc.

Hardly unadulterated praises of a "strong" performance.

I guess I did not make my point clearly. I did not mean Kim, but imagine if someone like Ashley scored a 131 people would be calling her performance fabulous. I did not mean Yuna Kim at all. It was more a general comment.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Even 5% is generous I think. Mao has deserved the wins she has earned this season, but I think her margin of victory is too big for what she puts out there. Given that she can score 200+ with errors in both programs and very little GOE on the jumps, it is going to be nearly impossible for anyone besides Yuna to touch her.

I concur, although based on the protocals it is hard to question Mao's scores too much. The dificulty is just so high compared to the others that gives her the edge even with mistakes. That and the quality of her spins and spirals. The only question you could have is some of her PCS, and whether some of her competitors are undermarked.

Krislite

Medalist
The two scored so closely this weekend despite different judges and different competitions: 204.49 to 204.02. If I didn't know better I'd say the judges were conspiring to keep them neck-and-neck to milk this rivalry for Sochi.

CarneAsada

Medalist
The two scored so closely this weekend despite different judges and different competitions: 204.49 to 204.02. If I didn't know better I'd say the judges were conspiring to keep them neck-and-neck to milk this rivalry for Sochi.
Not only that, but in the LP both fell on their impressive opening jump and I think it significantly affected the rest of their performances despite their landing everything else.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
And as a huge Mao fan I can admit Yuna Kim is still the favorite because, we know she can do her current layout clean. However, considering where Mao was during this time at last Olympics, I will say she is doing very well.

I agree. I think their odds are much closer than in Vancouver, which should make Sochi exciting, BUT

Mao
Her SP is stunning! It's packed with everything I love about her, and shows off how she's improved as a skater and a performer, especially because it's easy to compare it to Chopin 2007. Simply sublime. But please Mao, don't get stubborn about the "two 3 axel achievement" trap. It hurts your transition. You already did it in Vancouver. You lost. And you are a better skater now. Why not take advantage of it??? It's SOOOOO frustrating! I honestly think the judges want to award her the Gold. But she has got to skate clean!

Yuna
I just loved her SP in the practice clip. I this will be my all time favourite. Her jumps are still huge but look even more effortless, the inside/outside spread eagle is to die for, the spins are more beautiful, and her strokes look even deeper and smoother. Most of all it's such a lyrical piece with no frills. Amazing! Her LP on the other hand is not so inspiring. Seen it before, done better, by herself. But Yuna is the more strategic and intelligent skater of the two IMO, and although I want Mao to win I think Yuna will deliver once again.

Krislite

Medalist
Not only that, but in the LP both fell on their impressive opening jump and I think it significantly affected the rest of their performances despite their landing everything else.

Must be some kind of quantum entanglement thing going on...

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
So not only are the judges conspiring, but so are the figure skating gods.

According to the NBC Olympics site, Asada now has 14 Grand Prix gold medals, passing Michelle Kwan's 13. Irina Slutskaya has the most, 17. :)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
The only reason at this point that I would support Mao Asada for gold is because I think she was highway robbed in 2006. Karma has to exist. I am so disappointed in her development or lack of development. I haven't enjoyed her skating for at least this quad, maybe even leading up to Vancouver. I found her exquisite in the mid-00s but because I was also seeing a beautiful talent with so much more potential. Unfortunately, she didn't hit that potential. For a 23 year old, and let's face it she is a PROFESSIONAL skater, I expect maturity, depth, stronger lines, spins. The jumps come and go, but her jumps are just wimpy. She goes for that 3axel and I know how hard it is, but it's not a pretty jump for her. NONE of her jumps are pretty. There is always either an awkward edge entrance, or when she starts throwing in the double loops that are UR'd, it's pretty bad. It's not even her under-rotated jumps that bother me, it's her spins, her choreo, her apparent lack of belonging to the music (the footwork was good in the LP, I liked that sequence).

The thing with Kwan and Cohen is that they established themselves as adults after being baby ballerinas. I still don't think Mao has. She hasn't tightened up her positions, made each move strong and deliberate. She is still the same. I expected more. I wasn't a fan of Yamaguchi, but dang after one year in pro she convinced me and I was a fan for ages. Mao hasn't done that.

elee63

Final Flight
The only reason at this point that I would support Mao Asada for gold is because I think she was highway robbed in 2006. Karma has to exist. I am so disappointed in her development or lack of development. I haven't enjoyed her skating for at least this quad, maybe even leading up to Vancouver. I found her exquisite in the mid-00s but because I was also seeing a beautiful talent with so much more potential. Unfortunately, she didn't hit that potential. For a 23 year old, and let's face it she is a PROFESSIONAL skater, I expect maturity, depth, stronger lines, spins. The jumps come and go, but her jumps are just wimpy. She goes for that 3axel and I know how hard it is, but it's not a pretty jump for her. NONE of her jumps are pretty. There is always either an awkward edge entrance, or when she starts throwing in the double loops that are UR'd, it's pretty bad. It's not even her under-rotated jumps that bother me, it's her spins, her choreo, her apparent lack of belonging to the music (the footwork was good in the LP, I liked that sequence).

The thing with Kwan and Cohen is that they established themselves as adults after being baby ballerinas. I still don't think Mao has. She hasn't tightened up her positions, made each move strong and deliberate. She is still the same. I expected more. I wasn't a fan of Yamaguchi, but dang after one year in pro she convinced me and I was a fan for ages. Mao hasn't done that.

Agreed. Sort of. No matter the condition of her 3axels, she still will go on as the first lady to land them during the games. But you have a point. I remember when she was REALLY little, she was THE jumping prodigy. I hope I'm remembering correctly, but I think I once saw a clip of a REALLY small Mao throwing out 3axels like no one's business.

That being said, deciding on who did the BEST this weekend is going to be futile. Everyone has different standards and EVERYONE is biased, sad to say.
(Just read through the comments on the previous page. With a straight face; I DARE you)

I found it quite ironic how both Asada and Kim, who technically are like the two Brians, in that they've competed together for around a decade now,
performed so similarly in one of the last outings before the games. Uncanny.

Just makes me more excited. These two talented athletes might not be perfect. But that makes it just that much more nail-bitingly suspenseful.

And for the record, I realize that I haven't done much today, except watch videos from Golden Spin, and the GPF (loving the pairs, talk of suspenseful...). Some might call it wasting time. I don't care :)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I found it quite ironic how both Asada and Kim, who technically are like the two Brians, in that they've competed together for around a decade now,
performed so similarly in one of the last outings before the games. Uncanny.

Did they really perform similarly? Aside from the Grand Prix Final and the Cup of Zagreb being held on the same days, you're comparing apples to oranges. This was Kim's season debut and she came thisclose to outscoring Asada, who has had months to polish of her programs.

elee63

Final Flight
Did they really perform similarly? Aside from the Grand Prix Final and the Cup of Zagreb being held on the same days, you're comparing apples to oranges. This was Kim's season debut and she came thisclose to outscoring Asada, who has had months to polish of her programs.

True. Apples to oranges, especially when Asada has had her fair share of mediocre skates this season.

What I was referring to was not only their scores, which were a point or less different, but the fact that they missed their combo/axel in the free. Their signatures.
Neither performed their best... meaning that neither one has peaked.

Barb

Record Breaker

Are you kidding :unsure: , she is great in all of that, especially in lines :bow:, for me the best lines at the present field.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I love Mao and would love for her to win, but I also love Kim and see that the quality of Kim's jumps (among other things) might weigh overwhelmingly in her favor. For either one to win would be splendid, because they are the two premiere skaters of this generation. The thing about Mao is that she'll never say die and never pull back. This gives a huge boost to her chances to win.

My hope is that both of these ladies give performances in Sochi that are OGM-worthy, and that it comes down to the judges. And maybe that there has to be a tie! Why not dream?

It is wise to love both on this board or any before their second Olympic showdown.

Both are over rated and usually overscored.

Did you see Kim's SP and fall on double Axel? in Zagreb? Besides her costume, what does Yuna do beside a big 3/3? Mao's SP is beautiful, and would be gorgeous if she were not having to rack up points IJS style. Mao can make simplistic moves beautiful, but IJS requires rushing from this to that. Kim is better at 3x3's and more speed. Mao can do great spin variations, great footwork, and if we could have her skate freely, her skate might be like "Jupiter" her exhibition. Very few skaters perform, can jump cleanly, and have interesting programs. Ashley Wagner is wonderful. Her LP has come along. Sadly, her Black Swan or even Samson and Delilah were better performances, I feel. Her nuances, expression are lovely. I hope she has a miracle and the judges reward her if clean. I wish she had revived Black Swan. No one has an LP with that much power. She is becoming the MK of her generation, and no one really says how good she is. Beautiful, expressive, strong, musical-the whole package. May she get her podium dream. Love her.

Mirunna

Record Breaker

You can't compare scores from a Senior B to GPF. Sorry. I don't see Kim getting such big PCS in an ISU competition, IN HER CURRENT STATE (Sochi might be another story). She is not in top form yet and it showed, those PCS were too high.

Also, I agree it is kind of depressing that after 4 years (with Yuna absent most of the times and lacking motivation, and with Mao's jump issues, her mother's illness and more than some very bad performances) it's still all about them. It is kind of sad nobody else took the chance to emerge as a gold medal material. Sure, there are some other ladies who had some brilliant skates in these 4 years, but they came and go.
It's time for another skater of their caliber to emerge!

Come to think off, it's the same story in ice dance and pairs too, when top 2 retire there will be a big hole for a while
Only in men things are looking good, with Yuzuru and Han Yan being immensely talented

enzet

On the Ice
Are you kidding :unsure: , she is great in all of that, especially in lines :bow:, for me the best lines at the present field.

Absolutely!

If, for example, this is not an amazing display of maturity, lines and spins, I don't know what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXXq8zoTk3E

Also, if these are wimpy and ugly jumps, that would make the jumps of most other skaters downright unwatchable.

I'm not saying she is technically the best jumper out there, of course she has some issues,
but the way her jumping ability is constantly being downplayed is beyond me.

I saw her live this year and her jumps looked pretty solid and had good height and distance to them.
I was actually quite surprised, after reading all the criticism on the forums, I expected her jumps to be somewhat underwhelming compared to the other top skaters, but that was most definitely not the case.

Her jumps do belong among the best. Not the very best but good enough!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
right now after watching both of them competing
they are in a almost in a deadlock for the gold with Yuna in a slight advantage as the reigning OGM

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kim still has the advantage. Kim errs on a 2A and gets a higher scores in her SP. Asada has yet to do a clean FS. I'm going to take Zagreb with a grain of salt since Kim was (other than the FS) landing her 3-3 with ease, whereas Mao is still hit or miss on her 3A in practices and competition.

ks777

Record Breaker
no, Mao isn't the favorite. Yuna is definitley the favorite. Mao is so inconsistant with her jumps plus her tendency to underrotate will keep her from winning the gold. I am thinking it's going to be between Yuna and Julia.

NMURA

Medalist
Kim still has the advantage. Kim errs on a 2A and gets a higher scores in her SP. Asada has yet to do a clean FS. I'm going to take Zagreb with a grain of salt since Kim was (other than the FS) landing her 3-3 with ease, whereas Mao is still hit or miss on her 3A in practices and competition.

Are you taking that score seriously? Ando was given 32+ in PCS and it alone makes everything dubious.
69 points is the right estimate in Sochi.