Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Mao Asada: Olympic Gold Medal Favourite?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    I wouldn't call Maos win fabulous at all. On the other hand, I wouldn't say this outing from Yuna cements her status as the clear favorite. Yuna definitly still is the favorite, but that's because I'm sure she'll do better at the Olympics, not because of her skates here. For saying she had trouble with her stamina though, I think she'll managed the LP really well.
    At this point I would say 60% Kim, 35% Mao, and 5% everyone else combined as to who will win in Sochi. Mao does have a real shot and more of one than anyone would have called before the season. There were many before the season who gave Kostner as much or more chance of the gold than Mao.

Maybe i am underestimating Russian ice though and the chances a clean and insprired Russian could have vs a flawed Kim or Mao at the Games, but then again I am not confident in Sotnikova doing a perfect competition, and Julia's scoring potential is not neccessarily enough to even beat a flawed Kim or Mao.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001
    I disagree. I think her win is fabulous because she did not let the mistakes kill her LP. Mao has demonstrated consistency this season. Not yet perfect, but she is selling her very good programs. The double standard of this forum is weird to me, if someone else had Mao's performance some people will be calling it a strong performance.
    She did really well, and I liked the performance. Why is it double standard if I just think it wasn't fabulous? Fabulous is something completly else than good or even strong. It's a lot more than that.

I think Mao's the favorite. If Yuna is not planning to compete until Sochi, mentally, I don't think she'll be ready, particularly as it's going to be held in Russia, and it will be quite a tough environment to compete in if it's not your home country or you're not a regular visitor at least. Food, toilets, water, etc., the strangeness of it will be difficult to manage. Yuna was quite lucky to have had a Canadian coach in Vancouver.

Custom Title
    The mark Kim received today was so b/c she made a mistake in jumps that she almost never misses. This implies that the score she received today is closer to the lower bound of the range of potential scores she would get. As for Asada, there is not much room to improve over the score she got in GPF or even over her season's best. Yet the two scores are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    She did really well, and I liked the performance. Why is it double standard if I just think it wasn't fabulous? Fabulous is something completly else than good or even strong. It's a lot more than that.
    I meant double standard in general it wasn't directed personally at you. At was commenting in the forum overall.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    At this point I would say 60% Kim, 35% Mao, and 5% everyone else combined as to who will win in Sochi. Mao does have a real shot and more of one than anyone would have called before the season. There were many before the season who gave Kostner as much or more chance of the gold than Mao.
    Maybe i am underestimating Russian ice though and the chances a clean and insprired Russian could have vs a flawed Kim or Mao at the Games, but then again I am not confident in Sotnikova doing a perfect competition, and Julia's scoring potential is not neccessarily enough to even beat a flawed Kim or Mao.
    Kostner has a higher chance than 5%. when she is good she is really good

Banned
    As someone said on another thread who is the favorite in a true sense is determined by bookies. We will see what odds bookies make for all the events but I am pretty sure Chan, Volosozhar & Trankov, Kim, and Davis & White will be made the favorites by the bookies. I also think the order of favortism will be V&T, Kim, Chan, and Davis & White in that order (although Chan might have lower odds to win than D&W but they will be further ahead of 2nd best person in the odds than D&W as only D&W or V&M will be given something lower than 30-1 to win gold in dance).

Quote Originally Posted by parma View Post
    The mark Kim received today was so b/c she made a mistake in jumps that she almost never misses. This implies that the score she received today is closer to the lower bound of the range of potential scores she would get. As for Asada, there is not much room to improve over the score she got in GPF or even over her season's best. Yet the two scores are very similar.
    Why there is no room to improve. She scored 136 with an imperfect performance, so everyone has room to improve.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Kostner has a higher chance than 5%. when she is good she is really good
    No she does not. She has never done a competition in her life that would beat almost all the competitions Mao has done this year, or that a very rusty Kim did in Zagreb, and her career PB scores prove this. There is nothing this season that indicates her being in gold medal contention at all.

When Kostner is good is still with only 5 triples max successful in a LP, and lower technical difficulty than Mao and Kim to begin with.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Even 5% is generous I think. Mao has deserved the wins she has earned this season, but I think her margin of victory is too big for what she puts out there. Given that she can score 200+ with errors in both programs and very little GOE on the jumps, it is going to be nearly impossible for anyone besides Yuna to touch her.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Who would that be? Just read her fan forum: http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php...ic=4884&st=760

The comments tend to: over all good, not bad, she seemed tense, she didn't seem to enjoy herself, etc.

Hardly unadulterated praises of a "strong" performance.
    I guess I did not make my point clearly. I did not mean Kim, but imagine if someone like Ashley scored a 131 people would be calling her performance fabulous. I did not mean Yuna Kim at all. It was more a general comment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Even 5% is generous I think. Mao has deserved the wins she has earned this season, but I think her margin of victory is too big for what she puts out there. Given that she can score 200+ with errors in both programs and very little GOE on the jumps, it is going to be nearly impossible for anyone besides Yuna to touch her.
    I concur, although based on the protocals it is hard to question Mao's scores too much. The dificulty is just so high compared to the others that gives her the edge even with mistakes. That and the quality of her spins and spirals. The only question you could have is some of her PCS, and whether some of her competitors are undermarked.

The two scored so closely this weekend despite different judges and different competitions: 204.49 to 204.02. If I didn't know better I'd say the judges were conspiring to keep them neck-and-neck to milk this rivalry for Sochi.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    The two scored so closely this weekend despite different judges and different competitions: 204.49 to 204.02. If I didn't know better I'd say the judges were conspiring to keep them neck-and-neck to milk this rivalry for Sochi.
    Not only that, but in the LP both fell on their impressive opening jump and I think it significantly affected the rest of their performances despite their landing everything else.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    And as a huge Mao fan I can admit Yuna Kim is still the favorite because, we know she can do her current layout clean. However, considering where Mao was during this time at last Olympics, I will say she is doing very well.
    I agree. I think their odds are much closer than in Vancouver, which should make Sochi exciting, BUT

Mao
    Her SP is stunning! It's packed with everything I love about her, and shows off how she's improved as a skater and a performer, especially because it's easy to compare it to Chopin 2007. Simply sublime. But please Mao, don't get stubborn about the "two 3 axel achievement" trap. It hurts your transition. You already did it in Vancouver. You lost. And you are a better skater now. Why not take advantage of it??? It's SOOOOO frustrating! I honestly think the judges want to award her the Gold. But she has got to skate clean!

Yuna
    I just loved her SP in the practice clip. I this will be my all time favourite. Her jumps are still huge but look even more effortless, the inside/outside spread eagle is to die for, the spins are more beautiful, and her strokes look even deeper and smoother. Most of all it's such a lyrical piece with no frills. Amazing! Her LP on the other hand is not so inspiring. Seen it before, done better, by herself. But Yuna is the more strategic and intelligent skater of the two IMO, and although I want Mao to win I think Yuna will deliver once again.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast