Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Mao Asada: Olympic Gold Medal Favourite?

Mao is definitely a favorite, but not the "prime" favorite. People here have a tendency to put way too much weight in such few competition results. One comp they're a medal favorite, the next they're doomed. You can't really do that with highly inconsistent skaters like Gold, Asada or Kostner. You never really know what you'll get from competition to competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Mao is definitely a favorite, but not the "prime" favorite. People here have a tendency to put way too much weight in such few competition results. One comp their a medal favorite, the next they're doomed. You can't really do that with highly inconsistent skaters like Gold, Asada or Kostner. You never really know what you'll get from competition to competition.
    I agree with this.

Give Mao some credit, she is becoming more consistent and we not see meltdowns from her in a long time. Even at 2013 worlds she pulled her self together after an ok SP to the podium. Also, Mao is a skater who progress it thought the season. Last season her performances kept getting better and better after each competition. So after two competitions, I think she is on the right track. One good sing for Asada is that the judges are rewarding her presentation and that is well deserved

Custom Title
    People here have a tendency to put way too much weight in such few competition results. One comp they're a medal favorite.
    One competition? It's 3 convincing wins out of 3 for Mao this season. Winner of the Japan Open. Winner of Skate America with a score of 204.55. Winner of the NHK Trophy with a score of 207.59. She is performing consistently well, is getting better and better, and the momentum is with her

Custom Title
    Yes, Mao is getting more consistent, but you can't rule out Kostner yet just based off of COC results. She may come back stronger than ever in the next competition. And also, Kim has stated that she is able to land all her triples, so it does not seem that the injury was too major. Nothing is guaranteed. But yes, I do agree that Mao is one of the favorites for the gold but as Krislite stated, she is definitely not the "prime favorite" IMO. Maybe, later throughout the season, if Kim performs horribly at her senior-B event.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    One competition? It's 3 convincing wins out of 3 for Mao this season. Winner of the Japan Open. Winner of Skate America with a score of 204.55. Winner of the NHK Trophy with a score of 207.59. She is performing consistently well, is getting better and better, and the momentum is with her
    She had the "momentum" last year leading up all the way to 4CC but didn't get it done at Worlds. I love her but I will only call Mao a favorite when I see her land 8 triples in a free skate. Getting the 3A and the 3F-3Lo landed (and credited) in the same competition would also convince me.

Custom Title
    People here have a tendency to put way too much weight in such few competition results.
    I completely agree with you! That is why I do not believe in the hype people have for Julia (i.e., Julia having the killer instinct, etc). She has been doing very well in recent competitions, but Skate Canada and Finlandia are just two competitions. There are a lot more competitions to go. In addition, we don't know how Julia will perform in the big stage (Worlds, Olympics). She hasn't had that experience yet.

Custom Title
    Mao is doing considerably well but I would hate for her to win the Olympics with the wins she has had this year. It's great that she's going for the 3A but until we see Yu Na skate, Kim is still the overwhelming favourite. But without Kim, Mao is the clear favourite for gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    What did her unbeaten streak and momentum in 2012 do for her at Worlds 2013 against Kostner who skipped the Grand Prix and Kim who didn't compete since 2011?

What did her unbeaten streak and momentum in 2012 do for her at Worlds 2013 against Kostner who skipped the Grand Prix and Kim who didn't compete since 2011?
    It got her back on the world podium. And moved up from 6th to 3rd.

Custard Title
    Exactly what I've been saying this entire time. It's nice that she was improving all season, but you need to do more than that to beat Kim.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjo24 View Post
    I completely agree with you! That is why I do not believe in the hype people have for Julia (i.e., Julia having the killer instinct, etc). She has been doing very well in recent competitions, but Skate Canada and Finlandia are just two competitions. There are a lot more competitions to go. In addition, we don't know how Julia will perform in the big stage (Worlds, Olympics). She hasn't had that experience yet.

You really shouldn't forget Lipnitskaia sweeping the junior 2011-2012 season with clean skates all over the place.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    No, Yuna is still the favorite, Mao didn't beat her scores from worlds 2013.

That said, this thread might just invite the ubers in. Smells like another battle field for fan wars.

Actually, the whole situation could work out great for the TV people who want to hype the Olympics. If Asada continues her run, sweeping everything in sight including the Grand Prix final, that will set up the Ultimate Sochi Smackdown, Monster Mao versus Krusher Kim!

Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    It got her back on the world podium. And moved up from 6th to 3rd.
    You didn't answer the question directly. What did it do for her against Kostner and Kim, both of whom skipped the Grand Prix that season, while she was winning all her Grand Prix events, Japanese Nationals and 4CC?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast