Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Mao Asada: Olympic Gold Medal Favourite?

Yuna is the favorite, she is more consistent, with their record is more likely Yuna will get a clean program or less mistakes, but Mao even has a big chance, and if both go clean I would give the gold to Mao

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    A lot of us YuNa fans are anxious to see her new programs and the shape she's in. If she has any decent showing, she and Mao will be co-favourites. If YuNa has a great debut for this season (e.g. 5-6 triples landed clean in the FS and other things being alright) and a FS score of at least 135, she will be The Favourite (which isn't an enviable position for the Olympics, really.)

Mao would certainly be the one to watch for an upset, though.

I wonder if Carolina is crashing. :( If she has another poor outing then there will probably be another skater marked as likely to be on the podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Monster Mao versus Krusher Kim!
    Just digressing: I still kinda wish Yuna had skated to The Terminator for the 2012-13 season SP. That would've made a perfect memorandum to mark the year.

Custom Title
    Thanks to the magic powers of COP, we now know that skating is like an arcade game and the person with the highest score is the winner. So the question is whether or not Mao can get a higher score than Yuna at the Olympics. We saw Yuna score about 218 at Worlds with clean skates except for an edge deduction in the SP. Mao's PB recent NHK Trophy with 207.59. Assuming Yuna is free of major injuries and skates clean, Mao will have to make up over ten points from her PB to secure the gold.

We previously established that a clean Mao should out BV a clean Yuna but GOE and PCS are major wildcards.

Quote Originally Posted by bebevia View Post
    Just digressing: I still kinda wish Yuna had skated to The Terminator for the 2012-13 season SP. That would've made a perfect memorandum to mark the year.
    Couldn't hurt to have the Imperial March from Star Wars as her FS. I wonder if the other skaters think Yuna competing is like Darth Vader visiting the Death Star.

Custom Title
    Someone has already pointed out that we can't base our judgement on one competition, but for me personally, I would factor out Kostner and put in Lipnitskaia for now for the podium mix. Carolina's SP is nice but her Scheherazade is awful and empty. We'll have to see how she fares in her next GP event but I wouldn't call Kostner's free programme Olympic worthy.

Custom Title
    Kim is practicing now and doing triples and will compete in a month a Zagreb. She is still the favorite imo.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...n-spin-zagreb/

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    You didn't answer the question directly. What did it do for her against Kostner and Kim, both of whom skipped the Grand Prix that season, while she was winning all her Grand Prix events, Japanese Nationals and 4CC?
    Not avoiding your question, just putting it in perspective. Maybe to some people it did nothing for Mao But I think, JMO: it reminded the judges that Mao is one of the best skaters in the world. (just in case they had forgotten) Sure, she got bronze, but it was a very successful season. She was on the podium the whole season

Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
    Someone has already pointed out that we can't base our judgement on one competition, but for me personally, I would factor out Kostner and put in Lipnitskaia for now for the podium mix. Carolina's SP is nice but her Scheherazade is awful and empty. We'll have to see how she fares in her next GP event but I wouldn't call Kostner's free programme Olympic worthy.
    Julia should be in the conversation about the podium, but I think people are factoring out Carolina too early. Julia is very good, but her skating does not the quality of Carolina's skating. Caro had one bad outing, she is not an early season skater. I think she can do it

Custom Title
    Deleted- wrong thread!

Too early to tell. Maybe after GPF and Yuna's Senior B comp, we'll be able to tell if she's a gold favorite.

Banned
    Her jumps are still under-rotated-- her jumps are too much like Tara Lipinski's. Yuna is favorite. But Julia should and will win.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I hope Mao wins the gold with all my heart, it has been such a difficult quad for her, she came back like a phoenix, i want her to skate her best skate in Sochi and win.

On the Ice
    Well, reigning world and Olympic champion is favorite.

Top should be yuna, mao, Julia, caro, russian? girl, wagner, osmond akiko, gold, kira,

or are these just all my faves?

Kostner might pull NHK Dai in COR after poor showing in the first GP.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast