Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 202

Thread: Mao Asada: Olympic Gold Medal Favourite?

  1. #91
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,014
    Sometimes I really don't like the figure skating forums

  2. #92
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,481
    When it comes down to it, if Kim goes clean, it doesn't matter how well Mao skates. If Kim makes errors, one would hope that Mao's jumps are indeed rotated such that if Mao does beat Kim it's because she has earned it and not because she's being given the benefit of the doubt. I expect a lot of scrutiny when it comes to landings in the Olympics... this isn't like a national competition where it doesn't matter if the favourites are called for URs because they'll win anyways... the world will be watching and you can bet there will be slow-mo replays of the landings and tech specialists who give favours will be put behind the 8-ball.

  3. #93
    I like pie. Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,728
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Sometimes I really don't like the figure skating forums
    I say that almost daily.

  4. #94
    Custom Title Mao88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,973
    New article entitled: 'Asada relishing showdown with archrival'. It reads:-

    "Since Vancouver I have repeatedly re-adjusted my jumps from scratch," [Asada] told reporters in Tokyo over the weekend, saying she now felt more confident as a result.

    "Now I'm finally beginning to feel the effect of what I have gained in the three years since Vancouver."

    "I believe I have stepped up since Skate America. I want to work hard so that I take my programme to a higher level," she added.

    "I have no worries. I have practised in a way that lets me get rid of those fears," she said.

    "My jumps are getting quite steady so I think I can now aim higher."

    Her silver medal in Vancouver owed much to three triple axels she landed in two programmes, the only woman to have done so.

    Asada said she might repeat the same feat in Sochi. "I have come to believe I can land two triple axels (in the free skate)."

    Looking ahead to the Winter Games, Asada said: "It will really be a huge inspiration for me if I can skate together with (Kim) on the big and supreme stage and at the centre of attention, as we did in Vancouver.

    "It will be great if we can show each other what we have."

  5. #95
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,794
    I wish the skaters' fans could respect each other as much as these rivals do.

  6. #96
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I say that almost daily.
    That would be great if we can love our favorite skaters, and we don't care of any UR jumps, TR's , PCS, levels and so on......As I did for many years. But yet every day we are here because something hooks us..

  7. #97
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    430
    That's the problem when "underrotations" and "wrong edges" are considered a more serious crime against figure skating than "falling." The judges can choose not to scrutinize the favorites as closely as the non-favorites. I'm not saying that they are doing this, but it sounds like some people are accusing them of looking the other way when it's a star ur'ing and wrong edging.

    Frankly, I do not want to see Mao, YuNa or Carolina on the podium. I'm sick to death of the three of them (least sick of YuNa, the best of the three). I'm sick of Mao's dark, heavy music and I'm sick of Carolina messing up and still winning. I'd be happy to see any other three people on that podium--Ashley, Gracie, any one of the Russian girls, Akiko, Miki Ando coming back from maternity leave. . .

    But I think it's pretty much set with YuNa getting her second gold, Mao getting her second silver and Carolina getting her bronze. Possibly one of the Russian girls can unseat Carolina, but it's not likely.

  8. #98
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    But I think it's pretty much set with YuNa getting her second gold, Mao getting her second silver and Carolina getting her bronze. Possibly one of the Russian girls can unseat Carolina, but it's not likely.
    I think it's too early to tell. As others stated earlier, we haven't seen Kim skate yet. With injury and lack of training/competition, who knows how Kim will skate. It's one thing to skate at the Worlds, it's entirely another to skate at the Olympics I would think. Kostner usually starts slow and gets better (hope she doesn't have disastrous experiences as 2009 World or 2010 Olympics). Asada is having a much better season prior to Sochi Olympics, especially compared to the season before Vancouver. So, from what we've seen Asada does seem to be the frontrunner at this point. And of course there are others such as Russians and Wagner.

  9. #99
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    Possibly one of the Russian girls can unseat Carolina, but it's not likely.
    Julia has already topped Carolina's all-time career personal best total (~198) and Ashley and Akiko have come within 5 points of that total this season, even with their mistakes. Carolina has also struggled to skate well at previous Olympics, so I think it is increasing likely that she will be off the podium.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    When it comes down to it, if Kim goes clean, it doesn't matter how well Mao skates. If Kim makes errors, one would hope that Mao's jumps are indeed rotated such that if Mao does beat Kim it's because she has earned it and not because she's being given the benefit of the doubt. I expect a lot of scrutiny when it comes to landings in the Olympics... this isn't like a national competition where it doesn't matter if the favourites are called for URs because they'll win anyways... the world will be watching and you can bet there will be slow-mo replays of the landings and tech specialists who give favours will be put behind the 8-ball.
    I think if Kim and Asada both skated completely clean it would be much more like 2007-2008 when it could go either way. It would not be like 2009-2011 where even a clean Asada had no hope vs a clean Kim. I do agree if Kim skates cleanly no way is Asada beating her, since even a great skate by Asada is not clean, but just in the hypothetical it ever happened it would be extremely close and could go either way, just like it was back in 2007-2008. Worlds last year was in an odd way disconcerting a bit for Kim as it showed while her consistency still makes her the heavy favorite, the judges also don't consider her head and shoulders above her closest challengers if they skated perfectly like they did back in 2009-2010.

    Remember Asada's base value in the LP is like 10 points away. That would not just be easily made up by Kim if Asada skated cleanly.

  11. #101
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,608
    Mao's SP is sublime, my favotite SP thus far. Love Gracies too and Akiko's. Also love love love everything Adam Rippon does. He is the most elegant guy since young Jeremy. He makes Jeremy look like the younger guy. But as for ladies, Mao's SP should get huge numbers if skated well. I like her LP but not as much.

    I would love to see this butterfly win. She's a phenom...a triple axel jumper who also floats. No one like her. Sadly, I think Kim will go clean/minor mistakes and win. It would be a great end to the rivalry to switch spots, but I think a couple Russian girls may upset this podium. Just skate well ladies. If we hap a top 10 like at Vancouver, we will be blessed.

  12. #102
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    At Cup of China, Kostner made as many obvious mistakes as Mao had under-rotations. Saying "when her jumps are clean" doesn't really say much when you accomplished all of 2 clean triples. And of course when Kostner doubles a jump, it's rotated; she's not doing a loop combination, is she? Mao doesn't exactly have issues rotating her doubled Salchows, Flips or Toes, or a doubled Loop that should have been a triple for that matter. Her rather unfortunate 2012 WC championship FS has plenty of clean doubles and singles if that's what you'd rather watch.

    I'd rather watch clean doubles than badly underrotated triple jumps but maybe that's just me.
    And Kostner has done loop combinations in the past and IIRC they were never underrotated unlike Mao's.
    Kostner's jumps are, generally speaking, of very good quality, high and VERY rarely underrotated. Mao OTOH can't even rotate her double loops but some of her fans are turning a blind eye on that. Unfortunately, the judges this season have chosen to do the same.

  13. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Julia has already topped Carolina's all-time career personal best total (~198) and Ashley and Akiko have come within 5 points of that total this season, even with their mistakes. Carolina has also struggled to skate well at previous Olympics, so I think it is increasing likely that she will be off the podium.
    I have absolutely no faith in Ashley or Akiko to put together a perfect competition at the Olympics, as much as I would like Ashley especialy to medal. I wont even get started on Gold whose consistency issues are as bad as the non Julia Russian ladies. I think if Kostner skates somewhat decent, Julia is the only major threat to push her off.

  14. #104
    Custom Title macy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I have absolutely no faith in Ashley or Akiko to put together a perfect competition at the Olympics, as much as I would like Ashley especialy to medal. I wont even get started on Gold whose consistency issues are as bad as the non Julia Russian ladies. I think if Kostner skates somewhat decent, Julia is the only major threat to push her off.
    why not ashley?

  15. #105
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Remember Asada's base value in the LP is like 10 points away. That would not just be easily made up by Kim if Asada skated cleanly.
    This is just not true. Her NHK base value score is just 59 add that 3S maybe 62 at best. Radionova just did one triple jump after the second half of the program still got 61. How she is 10 point ahead? And there is underrotation and GOE. If Kim skates clean her GOE will be very very high. While Asada will not get any GOE from lutz and double footed 3A. I didn't even say her single looking 2Loops.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •