Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86

Thread: Skating music you can't stand

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    139

    Skating music you can't stand

    What are the pieces of music used in figure skating, over used or not, that you just can't stand?
    Mine are Schindler's list and Rondo Capriccio - too whiney andqor heavy.

  2. #2
    can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by daphna View Post
    What are the pieces of music used in figure skating, over used or not, that you just can't stand?
    Mine are Schindler's list and Rondo Capriccio - too whiney andqor heavy.
    The music from Schindler's List is beautiful but I'm concerned about it becoming a warhorse and diminishing its thematic significance. A sober, moving program by Jonathan Cassar or Julia Lipnitskaia--yes. Blah programs/skates, sorry...then it's just being "used." :(

    I'm very sick of Carmen and would be happy if I never had to listen to it again.

    Wailing Christina Aguilera... (I'm looking at you, Sotnikova!)

  3. #3
    Custom Title chapis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    727
    Sherezade

  4. #4
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    Wailing Christina Aguilera... (I'm looking at you, Sotnikova!)
    Ugh, YES! THIS!

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Bluegrass State:)
    Posts
    235
    The Feeling Begins. I have no feeling left after being subjected to 4 and half minutes of The Feeling Begins.

    Vocal versions of Les Miserables

    Lacrimosa

  6. #6
    Medalist Peach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    I'm very sick of Carmen and would be happy if I never had to listen to it again.

    Wailing Christina Aguilera... (I'm looking at you, Sotnikova!)
    LOL you read my mind. I'm sick of Carmen and I literally could not watch Sotnikova's performance with my speaker on.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    106
    Almost any music from a movie soundtrack, with double emphasis on anything Bond. Booorrring. Almost anything rock watered down for competition. Look, I'm a huge hard rock fan, but there is a time and a place, and the ice rink is neither. Generic female ballads, which I don't like on or off the ice. I'm sick of Spanish stuff, but if everybody stopped doing it I could probably like it again in about five years.

    Other than that I'm good. I don't mind swans, but firebirds must be good cuts. I also don't think that just because you are doing certain music you have to dress that part. Sleeping Beauty music stands on its own and doesn't require a cute pink costume. Not that I have anything against cute pink costumes, but I think the cliche costumes to certain music (I'm looking at you, feathers) is part of what annoys people about that music. Is there some LAW that requires Phantom of the Opera (music I love) costumes to be black and white?

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Peach View Post
    LOL you read my mind. I'm sick of Carmen and I literally could not watch Sotnikova's performance with my speaker on.
    Part of the problem is that most young skaters can't really summon up the forcefulness or charisma to evoke this music. I'm not saying that everyone who skates to Carmen has to portray the character of Carmen, but it would be nice if the skater could portray the essence of the music itself, which is intense and commanding. A pout and hands on the hips will not do it.

  9. #9
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Part of the problem is that most young skaters can't really summon up the forcefulness or charisma to evoke this music. I'm not saying that everyone who skates to Carmen has to portray the character of Carmen, but it would be nice if the skater could portray the essence of the music itself, which is intense and commanding. A pout and hands on the hips will not do it.
    Evan got the intensity.

  10. #10
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,087
    The sad thing about skating music you can't stand is...it will always be around, not because the skaters really choose it, but because of the new system. There are only so many pieces of music that can be used for skating effectively.

    Edited to add: One piece I wish more skaters would use is the String Quartet #2 by Borodin. Josee Chouinard used it in 1996 when she returned to amateur competition. A lot of people have used the beginning music in the program (Polovetsian dances), but rarely do we hear String Quartet #2:

    http://youtu.be/MxIndK3URY8
    Last edited by blue dog; 11-12-2013 at 12:57 PM.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Evan got the intensity.
    Evan is older, and I think that helped him. Also, he had Lori Nichol giving him pointers. But when the little ones come out and attempt to smolder, it generally falls flat.

    (And then there's the matter of Boitano, Witt, and Orser...but I know it's cheating to bring them up, because that was a fully dramatized performance. However, it's the one that spoiled me for many future interpretations.)

  12. #12
    On the Ice Tippi1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    26
    Enough Firebirds already. Retire that piece.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    272
    Personally, I really dislike Don Quixote by Ludwig Minkus.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippi1963 View Post
    Enough Firebirds already. Retire that piece.
    This.

    Also, no more swans. Of any composition. And if there must be swans, can we not have feathers on the costume? Just once?

  15. #15
    Custom Title chapis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    This.

    Also, no more swans. Of any composition. And if there must be swans, can we not have feathers on the costume? Just once?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •