Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Results 76 to 86 of 86

Thread: Skating music you can't stand

  1. #76
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I think Michelle used the third movement (if I recall correctly) in her lovely 1998 SP.

    I do wish people would branch out with Rachmaninoff. Even the third piano concerto would sound new, though entirely characteristic of him, and it's so close to parallel to the second concerto. There's fabulous stuff from the three symphonies also.
    I'd like to never hear Rach 2 or the Rhapsody again. Rach 3 sounds too close to 2 for comfort. If it has to be Rachmaninoff, I would like to see is someone skating to Concerto No.4 (or 1 but we already saw that from Midori) or the Symphonic Dances.

  2. #77
    “Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    272
    When did Carmen first become overused in figure skating? Was it used often before the Battle of the Carmens or did that situation create the mystique around the music that persists to this day?

  3. #78
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,581
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    When did Carmen first become overused in figure skating? Was it used often before the Battle of the Carmens or did that situation create the mystique around the music that persists to this day?
    It had definitely been used before 1988. The most prominent examples that come to mind were Donald Jackson and Charlie Tickner. But yes, I think that "Battle of the Carmens" did create more of a mystique, and it was also around that time that it became more common to try to interpret a character from an opera etc. rather than just the phrasing of the music.

  4. #79
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,988
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    I'd like to never hear Rach 2 or the Rhapsody again. Rach 3 sounds too close to 2 for comfort. If it has to be Rachmaninoff, I would like to see is someone skating to Concerto No.4 (or 1 but we already saw that from Midori) or the Symphonic Dances.
    Do you know any of his three symphonies? The Second is especially sublime, and I'm tremendously fond of the first movement of the Third. And I have no idea whether this is even skateable, but my goodness, the first movement of The Bells, which is a Poe poem (a lyrical poem, not a horror one) set to music. It has vocals in it, but not in an obtrusive way where you have to understand the words, and some variation of tempo. This performance has the words in Russian.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OE59h6OzrE

  5. #80
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,683

  6. #81
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,683

  7. #82
    “Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    It had definitely been used before 1988. The most prominent examples that come to mind were Donald Jackson and Charlie Tickner. But yes, I think that "Battle of the Carmens" did create more of a mystique, and it was also around that time that it became more common to try to interpret a character from an opera etc. rather than just the phrasing of the music.
    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge of figure skating and its history.

  8. #83
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post


    Don't forget the Impossible Dream...

    Someone should start a thread on music that *should* be skated to..

  9. #84
    Custom Title DobrinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    662
    'Papa Can You Hear Me' should not be instrumentalized along with any Beatles and Queen song. Every rendition of all these so far has been awful

  10. #85
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Do you know any of his three symphonies? The Second is especially sublime, and I'm tremendously fond of the first movement of the Third. And I have no idea whether this is even skateable, but my goodness, the first movement of The Bells, which is a Poe poem (a lyrical poem, not a horror one) set to music. It has vocals in it, but not in an obtrusive way where you have to understand the words, and some variation of tempo. This performance has the words in Russian.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OE59h6OzrE
    After this year, vocals will be allowed in all disciplines, so that won't be a problem.

  11. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    61
    Les Miserables, Carmen, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Firebird

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •