Skating music you can't stand | Golden Skate

Skating music you can't stand

daphna

On the Ice
What are the pieces of music used in figure skating, over used or not, that you just can't stand?
Mine are Schindler's list and Rondo Capriccio - too whiney andqor heavy.

prettykeys

Medalist
What are the pieces of music used in figure skating, over used or not, that you just can't stand?
The music from Schindler's List is beautiful but I'm concerned about it becoming a warhorse and diminishing its thematic significance. A sober, moving program by Jonathan Cassar or Julia Lipnitskaia--yes. Blah programs/skates, sorry...then it's just being "used." :(

I'm very sick of Carmen and would be happy if I never had to listen to it again.

Wailing Christina Aguilera... ;) (I'm looking at you, Sotnikova!)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
17 Moments of Spring - 4 minutes of that music feels like 17 days! Several Russian skaters have used it (thankfully, quite some time ago.)

I also dislike Otonal-and anything else that is a painful dirge.

Also Requiem for a Dream.

And the song I Will wait for You from the Umbrellas of Cherbourg, especially if the original loud caterwauling singer is used.

Almost any song which a bandoneon is played (most tangos)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Not a fan of Masquerade Waltz.... It sounds awfully repetitive (and not in a good way that builds like Bolero) and laboured.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Retreads of modern or popular tunes or themes, like Bond or Chaplin. It's only "unique and original" the first time it's used. Even Jason Brown's Prince SP music is starting to get around.

I tend to like more classic, or at least classic sounding, pieces.

That said, there is a huge library of music in this genre that is not Rach II, Carmen, Nessum Dorma, Swan Lake, etc.

Edit: Oh! and add Les Mis to the list of options I could live without.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
The Feeling Begins. I have no feeling left after being subjected to 4 and half minutes of The Feeling Begins.

Vocal versions of Les Miserables

Lacrimosa

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty

Not Julia with Schindler's List is it whiny or heavy. Julia imbues Schindler's List with startling sentimentality. When Julia performs Schindler's List, there is ecstasy, a correct sense of pathos: a stirring up of one’s feelings, an interpretation of innocence so intense that it almost hurts-- not unlike Pavlova's latter days performing Swan Lake in Cairo. There is a mercurial quality of sudden changes from naiviete to tragedy, which Julia lends Schinder's List a freedom to roam into supermelodiousness (even though patterns in the piece only lend itself into guarded polytonality). Julia approaches the swelling modulation to fluctuate it between gossamer and a kind of endearing grandiloquence. Julia turns a typical Spielberg(?)-Williams mope job into something approaching Nino Rota's, or of much that is Kurt Weill, that even would bring a WWII fascist to tears. Julia and Schindler's List is an image of our life: a touchingly brief joy that arises out of nothing and dissolves into everything to whomever are known as shy and melancholy.

seniorita

Record Breaker
17 Moments of Spring - 4 minutes of that music feels like 17 days! Several Russian skaters have used it (thankfully, quite some time ago.)
I also dislike Otonal-and anything else that is a painful dirge.
My Butyrskaya fave programs.:)

I m tired of anythign jazzy, with jazzy hands and cute choreo, even cuter costume with suspenders. And Tangos, Flamencos etc. And the incomprehensive music cuts of Amodio the last 3 seasons. Probably soundtracks too. And I would add Romeo and Juliet but it is Hanyu :love:who is using it so I ll pass. No more Sherezade and Firebirds, i have grown an allergy.
I like Carmen(not strange arrangements), Nutracker and Swan Lake, so i dont mind, feathers or not!
:laugh:

Carmen is the all-time best skating music. There is no reason for anyone to skate to anything else. Every song is tuneful, swingy, bouncy, striding along with a strong skating beat. I think Bizet had figure skating in mind when he composed it. :yes:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I like all the warhorses mentioned. If the skater is great, the music sounds fresh-Sasha's Malaguena, Carmen and Swan, R&J were all special. I do agree with Doris' Dislikes-and Maria B was a poor skater, so most music ill suited her.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liebestraum, just ugh. Someone should burn all copies in existence.

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I like the music, but in skating I just can't stand it anymore. It's been done so often.