Skating music you can't stand | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating music you can't stand

meem

On the Ice
Whatever Gracie Gold is using for her SP this season - Lord have mercy & hit the mute! And add me to the list of Otonal dislikers (especially Maria B's version which sounded as tho' it were recorded underwater). Also Requiem (another hit the mute piece for me).

BlackPack

Medalist
Aside from all the others mentioned... Beatles Medley (no skater ever expressed their true potential or won gold with a Beatles Medley). Please change your program, Dai, please, it's your last season. Jesus Christ Superstar. Votran please... just please.... change it. I just don't get it. :cry:

Moulin Rouge.... Love Piazzolla but can't stand Libertango anymore.

Whatever V&M skate to in their sweet romance mode.

Adagio :cry:

When i hear these and even worse choreography, it's worse than Alex in A Clockwork Orange with the Ludovico technique.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am tired or don't like Take 5, Bolero - really a boring song, Samson and Delialah, Masquerade,

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I like all the warhorses mentioned. If the skater is great, the music sounds fresh-Sasha's Malaguena, Carmen and Swan, R&J were all special. I do agree with Doris' Dislikes-and Maria B was a poor skater, so most music ill suited her.

Well Maria B wasn't the best skater and cerainly wasn't a good competitor but she was decent and she won a few world and European medals.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Muzak versions of rock songs...Bohemian Rhapsody, Ben, Bohemian Rhapsody, every Beatles song you can think of, Bohemian Rhapsody, the Rolling Stones, Bohemian Rhapsody, Jesus Christ Superstar (there is a special place reserved in hell for ALW), Bohemian Rhapsody...

Why doesn't someone skate to the Muppets's version of Bohemian Rhapsody? At least it would be fresh and different...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never liked "Blues for Klook," (although it worked for Daisuke), so that would be on my list.

gimble

On the Ice
And add me to the list of Otonal dislikers (especially Maria B's version which sounded as tho' it were recorded underwater).

Interesting. I particularly liked Otonal especially Maria B's version. I was so happy for her when she nailed all the jumps and won the World in 1999. I re-watched that program so many times... Maybe I'm in the minority. I also liked Weir's Otonal too. I don't think it's been overused...

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Aside from all the others mentioned... Beatles Medley (no skater ever expressed their true potential or won gold with a Beatles Medley) .
+1. I don't know why it doesn't work for me, because I love the Beatles, but Beatles + figure skating leaves me cold more times than not.

I'm a fan of classical music, as well as a relative newbie to the whole world of figure skating, so I don't have those associations like 'overused' with this kind of music as some people seem to have (I'm looking at you, Dutch Eurosport commentator). Give me a Swan Lake, Scheherazade or Rondo Capriccioso any day over that to-me-kind-of-emotionless Michael Jackson I just watched the Shibutanis skate to.

karlowens2

On the Ice
How about they bring back those cheesy disco numbers from the late 70s 80s? I think I remember Robin Cousins in bell-bottom skating britches.

Agree with everyone who has had it with Carmen.

noskates

Record Breaker
CARMEN! CARMEN! CARMEN!!

....and any version of Swan Lake....white swan, black swan, deported swan, mute swan, blechhh!!!!

seniorita

Record Breaker
^:laugh: I m a fan already!

I m another one who likes Maria's B and Weir's Otonal. I like it for an sp in general.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Personally, I really dislike Don Quixote by Ludwig Minkus.

Me too. There have been several great programs to this music that I love in spite of the music, starting with John Curry, but the music itself I find overly obvious and paint-by-numbers.

My other least favorite is Requiem for a Dream -- just too heavy and oppressive.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
ITA her 1999 rendition for world's was dramatic, breathtaking and inspiriing - even Michelle Kwan would have trouble beating that. the music was dramatic and powerful and Maria worked it. The two became one.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Anything by a single violin. Anything tuneless that I can't hum along with. I much prefer Carmen, Swan Lake, Take 5, etc. to the soft chamber music string pieces that seem to be favored this year.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
The music for both V/T programs. Anything jazz/blues/swing (snoozefest). Anything tango. Requiem for a Dream (loved it the first time around, but now :slink: ).

Amei

Record Breaker
Like everyone else I've gotten tired of the Carmen and Swan Lake songs- can we get a 1-2 year ban on those songs?

Gracie Gold's long program music: The Sleeping Beauty by Pyotr Tchaikovsky