Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Skating music you can't stand

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    17 Moments of Spring - 4 minutes of that music feels like 17 days! Several Russian skaters have used it (thankfully, quite some time ago.)
    I also dislike Otonal-and anything else that is a painful dirge.
    My Butyrskaya fave programs.

I m tired of anythign jazzy, with jazzy hands and cute choreo, even cuter costume with suspenders. And Tangos, Flamencos etc. And the incomprehensive music cuts of Amodio the last 3 seasons. Probably soundtracks too. And I would add Romeo and Juliet but it is Hanyu who is using it so I ll pass. No more Sherezade and Firebirds, i have grown an allergy.
    I like Carmen(not strange arrangements), Nutracker and Swan Lake, so i dont mind, feathers or not!

Carmen is the all-time best skating music. There is no reason for anyone to skate to anything else. Every song is tuneful, swingy, bouncy, striding along with a strong skating beat. I think Bizet had figure skating in mind when he composed it.

I like all the warhorses mentioned. If the skater is great, the music sounds fresh-Sasha's Malaguena, Carmen and Swan, R&J were all special. I do agree with Doris' Dislikes-and Maria B was a poor skater, so most music ill suited her.

Liebestraum, just ugh. Someone should burn all copies in existence.

Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I like the music, but in skating I just can't stand it anymore. It's been done so often.

Custom Title
    Whatever Gracie Gold is using for her SP this season - Lord have mercy & hit the mute! And add me to the list of Otonal dislikers (especially Maria B's version which sounded as tho' it were recorded underwater). Also Requiem (another hit the mute piece for me).

Aside from all the others mentioned... Beatles Medley (no skater ever expressed their true potential or won gold with a Beatles Medley). Please change your program, Dai, please, it's your last season. Jesus Christ Superstar. Votran please... just please.... change it. I just don't get it.

Moulin Rouge.... Love Piazzolla but can't stand Libertango anymore.

Whatever V&M skate to in their sweet romance mode.

Adagio

When i hear these and even worse choreography, it's worse than Alex in A Clockwork Orange with the Ludovico technique.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    But no feathers what will Johnny Weir wear? LOL Okay no more feathers. What about reducing the sequins, fake flesh, and bugle beads too?

Custom Title
    I am tired or don't like Take 5, Bolero - really a boring song, Samson and Delialah, Masquerade,

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I like all the warhorses mentioned. If the skater is great, the music sounds fresh-Sasha's Malaguena, Carmen and Swan, R&J were all special. I do agree with Doris' Dislikes-and Maria B was a poor skater, so most music ill suited her.
    Well Maria B wasn't the best skater and cerainly wasn't a good competitor but she was decent and she won a few world and European medals.

Custom Title
    Muzak versions of rock songs...Bohemian Rhapsody, Ben, Bohemian Rhapsody, every Beatles song you can think of, Bohemian Rhapsody, the Rolling Stones, Bohemian Rhapsody, Jesus Christ Superstar (there is a special place reserved in hell for ALW), Bohemian Rhapsody...

Why doesn't someone skate to the Muppets's version of Bohemian Rhapsody? At least it would be fresh and different...

I never liked "Blues for Klook," (although it worked for Daisuke), so that would be on my list.

Gracie's music choices this season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by meem View Post
    And add me to the list of Otonal dislikers (especially Maria B's version which sounded as tho' it were recorded underwater).
    Interesting. I particularly liked Otonal especially Maria B's version. I was so happy for her when she nailed all the jumps and won the World in 1999. I re-watched that program so many times... Maybe I'm in the minority. I also liked Weir's Otonal too. I don't think it's been overused...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Aside from all the others mentioned... Beatles Medley (no skater ever expressed their true potential or won gold with a Beatles Medley) .
    +1. I don't know why it doesn't work for me, because I love the Beatles, but Beatles + figure skating leaves me cold more times than not.

I'm a fan of classical music, as well as a relative newbie to the whole world of figure skating, so I don't have those associations like 'overused' with this kind of music as some people seem to have (I'm looking at you, Dutch Eurosport commentator). Give me a Swan Lake, Scheherazade or Rondo Capriccioso any day over that to-me-kind-of-emotionless Michael Jackson I just watched the Shibutanis skate to.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast