Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Skating music you can't stand

Tripping on the Podium
    How about they bring back those cheesy disco numbers from the late 70s 80s? I think I remember Robin Cousins in bell-bottom skating britches.

Agree with everyone who has had it with Carmen.

Custom Title
    CARMEN! CARMEN! CARMEN!!

....and any version of Swan Lake....white swan, black swan, deported swan, mute swan, blechhh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    This.

Also, no more swans. Of any composition. And if there must be swans, can we not have feathers on the costume? Just once?
    Someone needs to start making songs about Blue-Footed Boobies.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ I m a fan already!

I m another one who likes Maria's B and Weir's Otonal. I like it for an sp in general.

James Bond. It's way overused, especially this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayuki View Post
    Personally, I really dislike Don Quixote by Ludwig Minkus.
    Me too. There have been several great programs to this music that I love in spite of the music, starting with John Curry, but the music itself I find overly obvious and paint-by-numbers.

My other least favorite is Requiem for a Dream -- just too heavy and oppressive.

Custom Title
    ITA her 1999 rendition for world's was dramatic, breathtaking and inspiriing - even Michelle Kwan would have trouble beating that. the music was dramatic and powerful and Maria worked it. The two became one.

Custom Title
    Anything by a single violin. Anything tuneless that I can't hum along with. I much prefer Carmen, Swan Lake, Take 5, etc. to the soft chamber music string pieces that seem to be favored this year.

Custom Title
    The music for both V/T programs. Anything jazz/blues/swing (snoozefest). Anything tango. Requiem for a Dream (loved it the first time around, but now ).

Custom Title
    Like everyone else I've gotten tired of the Carmen and Swan Lake songs- can we get a 1-2 year ban on those songs?

Gracie Gold's long program music: The Sleeping Beauty by Pyotr Tchaikovsky

Custom Title
    To me this is two questions. Are there pieces that we're sick of because they've been used and used and used, and are there pieces we just don't like. Scheherazade is a favorite piece of mine, but I think it's been done to death by skaters, for example, and I also wish that choreographers would use other Rachmaninoff pieces besides the Second Concerto although it's something I love. Likewise I continue to love Swan Lake, Carmen, and many of the other warhorses, but I too would like to see a moratorium declared on them.

On the other hand, I disliked Otonal (or as I called it to myself, Atonal) the moment I heard it, although I liked Maria B's program that she skated to it. Part of the problem was that the recording she used was a bit distorted and off-key. And, as Doris points out, it's so dirgelike.

The Rachmaninoff Prelude in C sharp minor (Mao's Bells of Moscow) is my least favorite piece by one of my favorite composers. It's a dirge to the nth degree. Even Rachmaninoff got sick of it, and he was always asked to play it at recitals.

I agree that Minkus's Don Quixote is on the insipid side, though for John Curry it was a heavenly piece, and he made it look like diamonds.

There are a lot of pop music standards that I dislike, usually slow and sung by blaring voices, including Whitney Houston's song about "The Greatest Love" (or somesuch), which seems to be delivered on just two notes. She had one of the great voices of our time, but some of her songs had no structure whatever. A lot of Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff and Les Mis stuff can end up sounding overwrought too, but there are other songs by these composers that are charming (and are not used nearly enough). One wonderful song by Lloyd Webber is "Seeing Is Believing" from a lesser known musical, Aspects of Love. Maybe for an exhibition piece....
    Seeing Is Believing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyM9Hj_uukc

I have no problem with Vivaldi, and I love tango and Brubeck's Take Five, so those I can't agree with, but they need to be done right. Not every skater is a great interpreter.

As for Bond, I hate to vote against it because I love John Barry so much, and there's lots of Bond music. Look how Gordeyeva interpreted (appropriately) From Russia with Love with Valeri Bure in Battle of the Blades and tell me you never want to see something like this again. As Christopher Dean says in his critique, "Shaken, stirred, and still standing." It's short because it's for a competition piece with a non-figure skater, but I think it's relevant to our discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWl47OkisCA

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    James Bond. It's way overused, especially this year.
    Well, copying yuna I guess.

go figure
    Anything that's temporarily or continually overused/trending starts to get on my nerves. A few years ago it was Memory, Don't Cry for Me Argentina, Liebestraum and La Vie En Rose, now it's the Phantom of the Opera. My Fair Lady gets close except for when Davis & White are skating to it. I haven't got tired of Swan Lakes and Carmens yet though; as far as I am concerned, keep them coming. I love watching the individual takes on them.

The only thing that annoys me are rehashes of pop songs- not just in skating but in general.

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    I'm very sick of Carmen and would be happy if I never had to listen to it again.

Wailing Christina Aguilera... (I'm looking at you, Sotnikova!)
    LOL you read my mind. I'm sick of Carmen and I literally could not watch Sotnikova's performance with my speaker on.

Custom Title
    Almost any music from a movie soundtrack, with double emphasis on anything Bond. Booorrring. Almost anything rock watered down for competition. Look, I'm a huge hard rock fan, but there is a time and a place, and the ice rink is neither. Generic female ballads, which I don't like on or off the ice. I'm sick of Spanish stuff, but if everybody stopped doing it I could probably like it again in about five years.

Other than that I'm good. I don't mind swans, but firebirds must be good cuts. I also don't think that just because you are doing certain music you have to dress that part. Sleeping Beauty music stands on its own and doesn't require a cute pink costume. Not that I have anything against cute pink costumes, but I think the cliche costumes to certain music (I'm looking at you, feathers) is part of what annoys people about that music. Is there some LAW that requires Phantom of the Opera (music I love) costumes to be black and white?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast