Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Skating music you can't stand

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Peach View Post
    LOL you read my mind. I'm sick of Carmen and I literally could not watch Sotnikova's performance with my speaker on.
    Part of the problem is that most young skaters can't really summon up the forcefulness or charisma to evoke this music. I'm not saying that everyone who skates to Carmen has to portray the character of Carmen, but it would be nice if the skater could portray the essence of the music itself, which is intense and commanding. A pout and hands on the hips will not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Part of the problem is that most young skaters can't really summon up the forcefulness or charisma to evoke this music. I'm not saying that everyone who skates to Carmen has to portray the character of Carmen, but it would be nice if the skater could portray the essence of the music itself, which is intense and commanding. A pout and hands on the hips will not do it.
    Evan got the intensity.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    The sad thing about skating music you can't stand is...it will always be around, not because the skaters really choose it, but because of the new system. There are only so many pieces of music that can be used for skating effectively.

Edited to add: One piece I wish more skaters would use is the String Quartet #2 by Borodin. Josee Chouinard used it in 1996 when she returned to amateur competition. A lot of people have used the beginning music in the program (Polovetsian dances), but rarely do we hear String Quartet #2:

http://youtu.be/MxIndK3URY8
    Last edited by blue dog; 11-12-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Evan got the intensity.
    Evan is older, and I think that helped him. Also, he had Lori Nichol giving him pointers. But when the little ones come out and attempt to smolder, it generally falls flat.

(And then there's the matter of Boitano, Witt, and Orser...but I know it's cheating to bring them up, because that was a fully dramatized performance. However, it's the one that spoiled me for many future interpretations.)

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Evan is older, and I think that helped him. Also, he had Lori Nichol giving him pointers. But when the little ones come out and attempt to smolder, it generally falls flat.
    I don't know that 21 (he debuted the program in 2006) is that much older than a teen girl trying to skate to it... but he definitely had fire in that program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    The sad thing about skating music you can't stand is...it will always be around, not because the skaters really choose it, but because of the new system. There are only so many pieces of music that can be used for skating effectively.

Edited to add: One piece I wish more skaters would use is the String Quartet #2 by Borodin. Josee Chouinard used it in 1996 when she returned to amateur competition. A lot of people have used the beginning music in the program (Polovetsian dances), but rarely do we hear String Quartet #2:

http://youtu.be/MxIndK3URY8
    I love love love the Borodin quartet! Possibly the most sublime piece of chamber music ever to have come out of Russia. Every movement is gorgeous, and that third movement is one of the jewels of all music. It would indeed be splendid to see that piece used somehow, even if just as an exhibition program.

I do get tired by overused music, but what tires me more is the poor and inadequate interpretation of the music. Some skaters just skate through the most powerful and emotional moments of a musical piece with no lyrical acknowledgement at all. D&W is a good example of skating to overused music, but they do it brilliantly, so I have no problems with that.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Or, for that matter, V&M skating to Carmen, and even C&L skating another interpretation of Carmen in the same final flight of ice dance.

War horses are war horses for a reason. They can carry you when you're in the midst of battle

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    I do get tired by overused music, but what tires me more is the poor and inadequate interpretation of the music. Some skaters just skate through the most powerful and emotional moments of a musical piece with no lyrical acknowledgement at all. D&W is a good example of skating to overused music, but they do it brilliantly, so I have no problems with that.
    That's it in a nutshell. Especially these days, when so many skaters just mark off the checklist of necessary elements, it's easy to leach a piece of music of its meaning and its emotional impact.

Custom Title
    Don Quixote and Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso.
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    Anything jazz/blues/swing (snoozefest).
    Agreed.

Custom Title
    I wish skaters would be rewarded for creative music and choreography, I particularly like Radionova's SP 5th Element and Gold's SP this season.

Custom Title
    Overused Music I Want Retired
    Spartacus, J C Superstar, Requiem For a Dream, Otonal, Carmen, Malaguena, The Feeling Begins, Four Seasons by anyone, and Swan Lake.
    This season the music I especially cannot tolerate is Chock & Bates vocal Les Miz, and Weaver & Poje’s FD vocal tango music (and I like tangos).

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    I never liked "Blues for Klook," (although it worked for Daisuke), so that would be on my list.
    Don’t worry! I don't think no one but Daisuke wants to use that music.

Anyway, as like many of you mentioned, Carmen is one the top of my list.
    I thought I didn’t like swan either, especially “swan lake”; then I’ve changed my mind.
    I like Japanese swans;
    Daisuke : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YCuZottNEc
    Yuzuru : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYttzwI8nhQ
    Mao : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSBzvkeiIXI

(but I admit that watching three swans in a row is too much)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Overused Music I Want Retired
    Spartacus, J C Superstar, Requiem For a Dream, Otonal, Carmen, Malaguena, The Feeling Begins, Four Seasons by anyone, and Swan Lake.
    This season the music I especially cannot tolerate is Chock & Bates vocal Les Miz, and Weaver & Poje’s FD vocal tango music (and I like tangos).
    Yes, all that stuff about repeating over and over that she is Maria, and from Buenos Aires, is a bit much - but Kaitlyn & Andrew do do a grand job of skating to it. And I really love their 42nd street SD.

Add me to the list of Johnny Weir's Otonal fans.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast