Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mao changing her FP jump layout to include two 3-axel!?

So she is thinking about it. So we cannot the drama and doom predictions. But Mao do what you want👏

Well, whatever she chooses, we're talking about choosing between an 8-triple layout or 7-triple layout with 2 triple-axels included. Or actually, she could theroetically attempt an 8-triple layout with 2 triple-axels, which... even I think is too much of a dream.

Custom Title
    I think everything will be clarify after the grand prix final if she is capable of landing the 8 planned jumps she might keep the same layout as now

Custom Title
    I don't think Mao is capable of an 8-triple program. That being said, a 7-triple program with two 3A is exceptionally impressive and certainly not taking the easy way out.

Mao never takes the easy way out. For someone who had the highest scores of season SO FAR, she still aiming to improve her skating

Well, when I think of ways Mao can improve her skating, more triple Axels in her program is definitely not the first (or second, or third) thing that comes to mind. As for whether it increases the risk of her program, I say that's ambiguous, since her 3F/3Lo is less likely to be ratified than a 3Axel+2Toe anyways. As it stands, her strategy now is practically identical to what she did in Vancouver, though her solo 3Axel in the SP can make a huge difference.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Well, when I think of ways Mao can improve her skating, more triple Axels in her program is definitely not the first (or second, or third) thing that comes to mind. As for whether it increases the risk of her program, I say that's ambiguous, since her 3F/3Lo is less likely to be ratified than a 3Axel+2Toe anyways. As it stands, her strategy now is practically identical to what she did in Vancouver, though her solo 3Axel in the SP can make a huge difference.
    can't count?
    7 triples planned vs. 6 triples planned.

Thanks for the translation hurrah, I found the interview very interesting. finally an interviewer who asked some really interesting questions.
    As for her FP layout, If anyone can pull these layouts it's Mao, her jumps looked strong and solid. I personally think the current layout is awesome as it is, so I would prefer if she doesn't change it. But it's still good to think about her options. I trust that Sato and Mao will make the best decision for them.

no wonder she re-used an old costume, it really isn't optimal to be skating with a costume that's heavy and hard to move in, what was the designer thinking

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    can't count?
    7 triples planned vs. 6 triples planned.
    Can't read? "Practically identical" strategy doesn't mean the exact same jump layout. She could put the rest of her program at risk as she did in Vancouver by going for two triple Axels at the beginning of her free skate.

Custard Title
    Can't read? "Practically identical" strategy doesn't mean the exact same jump layout. She could put the rest of her program at risk as she did in Vancouver by going for two triple Axels at the beginning of her free skate.
    No more at risk than when she plans a triple Axel and a 3F-3Lo right off the top. And I wouldn't call it "identical." Last time, the jumps in her repertoire were 3F, 3A, 3Lo, and 3T. Now, she's contemplating doing two triple Axels just because she can.

Custom Title
    Me in 2009-2010: Mao needs a reliable triple-triple combination more than she needs two triple axels.

Me Now: Mao needs a reliable triple-triple combination more than she needs two triple axels.

The post-Vancouver changes in Ladies made a quality 3A important due to the increased BV, the changes in the SP, and the shift in GOE scaling. However, she hasn't been able to take advantage of these changes due to her difficulty landing it cleanly. There's a risk of a sequence penalty if one of the triple axels isn't done in combination. She might feel that two triple axels is the only way see can secure the gold if Yuna skates clean. You know, as a YOLO backup plan.

Custom Title
    dont be foolish, 6 triples and 7 triples are not practically the same. If any of the upcoming younguns only do 6 tripkes, no one will talk about them.

7 triples and 6 triples lp are not practically the same. Cant comprehend?

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Whatever changes are made, I really hope they do not revert back to Asada's Vancouver LP layout, which I found startlingly lacking. I am not a fan of skaters who are capable of attempting each jump omitting two types of triples, such as the Lutz, or flutz in Mao's case, and the Salchow in place of two 3Axels.

Hopefully, it will be something like:

3Axel+2toe
    3Axel
    3flip+2loop+2toe (perhaps if she replaced one of the 2loops with a 2toe, she could maybe avoid the UR call)
    3flutz
    x2Axel+3toe
    x3flip
    x3loop

Unfortunately, this would omit the 3Salchow.

In order to do 8 triples with 2 3Axels, she'd have to attempt something like:

3Axel+2toe
    3Axel
    3flip+1loop+3Salchow (Mao has never attempted this jump pass in competition though)
    3flutz
    x2Axel+3toe
    x3flip
    x3loop

or

3Axel+2toe
    3Axel
    3loop+1loop+3Salchow (again, Mao has never attempted this jump pass in competition)
    3flutz
    x2Axel+3toe
    x3flip
    x3loop

or

3Axel+2toe
    3Axel
    3toe+1loop+3Salchow (Mao has never attempted this in competition)
    3flutz
    x3loop+step+2Axel+SEQ (Mao has never attempted this in competition)
    x3flip
    x3loop

If a woman ever attempted one of the above 8 triples layouts, it would bar none be the most difficult jump layout ever attempted by a woman in figure skating history.

Custom Title
    Mao URd the 3a as the first jump in her NHK FS. If she does another 3a, she has to do it in combination. If she can't pull off the combo and URs it again, she'll wind up with less value than if she did a 2a, to say nothing of the disruption to the program.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Whatever changes are made, I really hope they do not revert back to Asada's Vancouver LP layout, which I found startlingly lacking. I am not a fan of skaters who are capable of attempting each jump omitting two types of triples, such as the Lutz, or flutz in Mao's case, and the Salchow in place of two 3Axels.
    None of those 8-triple layouts are realistic for a skater who has never attempted a 1/2 loop-Salchow combination in front of a camera in her life, let alone in competition. An 8-triple layout like this would be easier for Mao than any of the ones you suggest:
    3A-2T
    3A
    3F-3Lo
    3fLz
    2A-3T(-2Lo)
    3S
    3Lo or 3F

No jumping passes that she hasn't done before, except for the little issue of where to put the 2Loop. If she wanted 7 triples and a 3-jump combination she has done in the past, then she could do:
    3A-2T
    3A
    3F-2Lo-2Lo
    3fLz
    2A-3T
    3S
    3Lo

The main disadvantage of this one is that she doesn't repeat the loop or the flip. If she had hips of iron and a smart team, she might try this:

3A-2T
    3A
    3F-3T
    3Lo-3Lo
    3fLz
    3S
    2A

And tack on a 2Lo to any of those combinations. Note that being capable of either triple-triple in this layout would add several points to her SP base value. Alas, her hips are not iron, so she's stopped training the triple loop-triple loop, and apparently her team is not smart so she's not attempting 3F-3T. It's amazing how many jumps Mao has accomplished, but it's depressing to think of how much more she could have accomplished if she could have put it all together in one program instead of being forced to fix her jumps due to iffy technique.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast