Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 211

Thread: Are I/K done after falling again?

  1. #76
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    This is where westerners don't understand leftover Communist mentalities. Seniority is at least 1 point a year in PCS.
    I don't think it's highway robbery that I&K have consistently fallen behind B&S. I understand people are saying that I&K should have beaten B&S at least once sometime in a segment in the past few years for the sake of "fair judging." However, I don't think I&K have done anything extraordinary that calls for catapulting them ahead of B&S, and it's been fair that B&S have been Russia's #1.

  2. #77
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    wherever life takes me
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    The great thing about Ice Dance nowadays is that there is so much room for friendly disagreement.

    My second favorite US team is H/D... I'm sure they're a technical step or two behind the podium, but I'm always caught up in their performance. If I said I thought the Shibs wouldn't be #3, it would be because they were bumped to #4, not jumped to #2.

    I will say, however, that the Shibs improvement is very apparent to me.

    I don't have much of an opinion of C/B, other than she definitely has the "it factor." I find her to be stunning.
    I find her annoying so there you go
    She just seems very self-absorbed, the "it's all about me" kind of performer. Poor Evan is just a background for her (or at least I see it that way). And I still miss Emily.

    As for I/K, someone in the Russian Fed should start working hard to get their priorities straight before the country's dance teams fall even lower than they are now. At this point, a no medal for Russia seems not only possible, but also probable and if I'm not wrong, it would be the first time in history. If I were in the Russian Fed, I'd start worrying.

  3. #78
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,759
    First, I don't think I and k should be completely written off. I am not sure about their work ethic - though I am sure this website hasn't helped but blow things up even more and perhaps out of proportion.

    Second, there is still time for them to up the ante/tes. This is only their first event they have skated.

  4. #79
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,722
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    I don't think it's highway robbery that I&K have consistently fallen behind B&S. I understand people are saying that I&K should have beaten B&S at least once sometime in a segment in the past few years for the sake of "fair judging." However, I don't think I&K have done anything extraordinary that calls for catapulting them ahead of B&S, and it's been fair that B&S have been Russia's #1.
    Outside of Russia I/k have beaten b/s in SDs and FDs and it's happened at gpf worlds euros but never in Russian nationals ever for 2011, 2012, 2013!

  5. #80
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,722
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    This is where westerners don't understand leftover Communist mentalities. Seniority is at least 1 point a year in PCS.
    Is it really communist?

  6. #81
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Outside of Russia I/k have beaten b/s in SDs and FDs and it's happened at gpf worlds euros but never in Russian nationals ever for 2011, 2012, 2013!
    But even I&K haven't beat B&S internationally for a long time now. I remember when I&K had a lot of hype as juniors. People were so impressed with them when they did the Native American dance (skated to the Duchesnays' Missing music ) years ago, but now not many people see them as contenders.

  7. #82
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    wherever life takes me
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    But even I&K haven't beat B&S internationally for a long time now. I remember when I&K had a lot of hype as juniors. People were so impressed with them when they did the Native American dance (skated to the Duchesnays' Missing music ) years ago, but now not many people see them as contenders.
    When they first came out of juniors I remember people stating they would challenge VM and DW for the 2014 gold. Little did they know.

  8. #83
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,722
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    But even I&K haven't beat B&S internationally for a long time now. I remember when I&K had a lot of hype as juniors. People were so impressed with them when they did the Native American dance (skated to the Duchesnays' Missing music ) years ago, but now not many people see them as contenders.
    2013 euros free dance! I don't mean total victories where I/k beat b/s overall just in a segment. Just earlier this year! Which I think is amazing has never happened in Russia at all. of course they are not contenders now. The team at this point should consider breaking up.

  9. #84
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,722
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    When they first came out of juniors I remember people stating they would challenge VM and DW for the 2014 gold. Little did they know.
    They have showed they don't want to work hard at all. What mind of senior team gets as many level 2s as they do? They are a pathetic team.

  10. #85
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,722
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I remember being one of those. I was super excited about them coming out of juniors. They are the biggest dissapointments of this quadrennial in any discipline probably.

    Continuing to hear they are super lazy is disconcerting too. It is clear at this point they had better start to do the work or they are going to go into freefall soon, even in Russia.
    There's certainly no rival in dance! Any potential rivals have already broken up for one reason or another. There's barely any rivals at all.

  11. #86
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,618
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    There's certainly no rival in dance! Any potential rivals have already broken up for one reason or another. There's barely any rivals at all.
    While I disagree with you on most your points, it is a fair statement to say that I/K has had some breathing room because even with their level issues, they are still far and above the other Russian dance teams. They are a secure Russia No. 2. This is a far different situation than in the U.S. where aside from Davis and White the other teams' scores are quite close to one another.

  12. #87
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,722
    B/S have been treated as if they were D/W! I/K treated like a great number 2 team. R/T can't even go below third or above third after 2011. Some Russian judges were seemingly desperate to get khokhlova/Andreev to 2011 euros but failed.

  13. #88
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    B/S have been treated as if they were D/W! I/K treated like a great number 2 team. R/T can't even go below third or above third after 2011. Some Russian judges were seemingly desperate to get khokhlova/Andreev to 2011 euros but failed.
    You recognize that I&K aren't beating B&S because of lower levels, lackluster programs, lack of political favoritism, and rumors of laziness. But no one cares because they mostly deserve to be where they are. Why are you complaining like it's news? It's getting circular and redundant.

    B&S aren't skating geniuses, but at least it's evident they put in the effort to improve and their levels are recognized by the judges.

    I&K's Swan Lake had gorgeous highlights, but there was very little complex content in between the tricks. Elena seems to be in much better shape than Nikita who seems to struggle lifting her and sustaining positions. They can't ride on looking good and natural basics forever.

  14. #89
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,722
    What you are saying is right! I'm just saying at this point why are I/K still in the sport? Now that they do SDs with 4 level 2 elements and are back behind the shibutanis and don't like to even practice why are they going to gp events and blocking other Russian teams. They can be on ice shows on tv in Russia and the pro stuff there is seemingly very active. Can you believe this team is actually considered locked into a spot at Sochi! With mostly level 2s in a SD! I forgot zhulin has power over a lot of those ice shows and because they may like to skate but not train or compete competing may be the only thing I/k can do! A big question is why do they stay and change nothing when they get 4 level 2 technical elements and not retire?

  15. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    I guess one way to look at is if I/K was as weak as they have become are still a lock for the Russian team, it shows the teams behind them are really weak and don't even deserve the opportunity anyway. Russian dance is so strange right now. They are producing many World Junior winners, and all go Senior and do nothing. Coaching seems bad, choreography seems outdated, and they just don't seem to get anywhere. When V&M and D&W retire things will be fairly open again, but right now the Russians seem in no position to capatilize that much.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •