Are I/K done after falling again? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Are I/K done after falling again?

IMO, I/K were gifted on GOE on the twizzles with mainly -2's, considering the second twizzle unison was way off and she fell on the third twizzle. I can't believe one judge gave them a -1!

Typical crappy GOE judging. It was an obvious -3 with synch being off + the fall. Deductions are cumulative.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Mods, can we please change the name of this thread? 1.) I'd rather have the thread reference their future prospects rather than something ominous like being "done forever." 2.) While I know the Shibutanis are not everyone's cup of tea is it really necessary to put their name in their mud too?

Maybe call it "What's ahead for I/K (spelled out of course)" or my go-to "I/K's future prospects"

:thumbsup:

gmyers

Record Breaker
gmyers please stop it with your propoganda already!! They can't pay you enough for this drivel. D/W had at least 9-10 years of working together continuously before they made their senior debut. Also having the best coaches in the world helped. Considering what a mess Zhulin has made with B/S this season I can only imagine how poorly managed they were with him. In fact why do any of us bother to respond to you. It is such a waste of time :scowl:

They've been together a long time now. Not all teams need to be together from the time they were kids. That's not the history of most teams.

So, saying a team is nothing but a failure and calling for their exclusion from the Olympics and retirement is you playing nice. :rolleye:

Oh I didn't say it was nice! Just not hater!

Alisa

On the Ice
Does anybody else think that I/K would benefit from slowing down their twizzles a bit?

jace93

On the Ice
They've been together a long time now. Not all teams need to be together from the time they were kids. That's not the history of most teams.

Oh I didn't say it was nice! Just not hater!

but curiously enough is the story of practically all the top team now competing...:popcorn: ah and by the way nikita is 22 so he following your stement about D/W he shuld be starting to get to the top now or in the next year or so, so far with all of that medals he has already done too much... and old Elena is already 19 :eek: so she has at least 4 years to go before you can even ask her to take home some succes :laugh:

sisinka

Final Flight
Does anybody else think that I/K would benefit from slowing down their twizzles a bit?

I don’t think so, many couples start with low speed towards twizzles not because it would be more safe, but because they are afraid of it. Many people say that twizzles in ice dance are like quad in solo skating, so I will use a comparison in it – with more speed quad is less difficult, because speed helps you to get more energy into take off. While speed in twizzles helps you not to stand on one place (and do a spin) but to move and cover more ice. Understand everybody looses speed during twizzles, somebody more, somebody less, but this is not an element when you can gain speed in turns, it is impossible. If you start twizzles from more speed and then loose some speed during first turns, there is still some speed which remains, so you have to do a bigger technical mistake to stop and stay on one place during the twizzles then when you already start from slow speed and with minor technical mistake you stay on one place immediately. During European Championships Sinitsina & Zhiganshin were doing twizzles in very similar speed to I&K, and they covered the same meters on the ice althought the couple had just two set of twizzles, while I&K had three set of twizzles. How is it possible? If you look carefully especially on skates – blades, you will see that I&K starts with speed for the first set of twizzles, but in next two sets of twizzles they have a very little speed and cover less ice – during second and third set of twizzles I&K have the same speed like most of dancers in the field. Twizzles are about great technique, you have to control your blades perfectly not to stay on one place, if you do everything well in your technique, then you will travel across the ice beautifully like I&K usually in first set of twizzles and Sinitsina & Zhiganshin in both set of twizzles (but not always they do it in such great quality yet). I can’t say on 100% that doing twizzles from low speed is more difficult because loosing that small speed stops you, but I would definitely not say that more speed coming to twizzles makes it more difficult.

Nikita’s problem with twizzles are caused by technical problems with that element, nothing with speed. Lena has usually beautiful twizzles looking at her posture (in second and third set she has that “usual ice dancing“ speed like anyone else), but she made a technical mistake in third set of twizzles during free dance and she would fell even if she would do all sets in small speed. And Nikita would be struggling with twizzles from low speed even more than he is now.

sisinka

Final Flight
Agreed, if just a bit. It just might help Nikity.

Nikita was struggling both in first and second set of twizzles - first set was made in bigger speed, while second set was made in normal or rather slow speed. Lena fell in third set which was done in slow speed and turns covered almost no ice. Nikita is struggling with that element using any speed, unfortunately.

gmyers

Record Breaker
but curiously enough is the story of practically all the top team now competing...:popcorn: ah and by the way nikita is 22 so he following your stement about D/W he shuld be starting to get to the top now or in the next year or so, so far with all of that medals he has already done too much... and old Elena is already 19 :eek: so she has at least 4 years to go before you can even ask her to take home some succes :laugh:

Then if they were only going to be ready for 2018 or 2022 It was pretty stupid to start pushing them now or for them to leave Jrs until they absolutely had to. Everyone was not stupid they saw how teams can go from Jrs to Olympic podium in 4 years and even if they were mistaken there on I/k how about learning something from 4 years in seniors and not in their 4th year being worse then ever in their whole careers which is now the position of I/k.

Chock/bates have been partners briefly but far superior to I/k already.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I don’t think so, many couples start with low speed towards twizzles not because it would be more safe, but because they are afraid of it. Many people say that twizzles in ice dance are like quad in solo skating, so I will use a comparison in it – with more speed quad is less difficult, because speed helps you to get more energy into take off. While speed in twizzles helps you not to stand on one place (and do a spin) but to move and cover more ice.

How about the speed of rotation during twizzles? Zhiganshina/Gazsi are (veeery!) slow in that, despite their speed across the ice being normal. I'm always surprised that they still get good marks for their twizzles (if they get the levels, and if their unison is ok - which it often is not).
Wouldn't that decrease the chances of mistakes?

gmyers

Record Breaker
It has been discussed that Elena was watching Nikita because there no trust from her that he can do it. No trust - no partnership! Chock and bates already have trust that's why there already better than I/k and that's a team that didn't exist when i/k were at their jr best.