Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Asada's 3F, 3FLutz, 3T & 2Lo: underrotated or not

Quote Originally Posted by David21 View Post
    I'm not seeing how Mao has improved her jumps in any way. Her jumps looked more rotated in previous competitions and looked worse at NHK so to speak of an improvement is slighly erroneous in my opinion.
    So are you an expert in figure skating technique?

Sano Minoru (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoru_Sano) was on Japanese television post-NHK and said that men in general spend 0.7 seconds in the air when they jump and that Mao's air time has now probably increased to 0.6 seconds because she is jumping higher than before. He estimated that she is jumping 1-2 centimeters higher now than in the previous season and that that would make all the difference in the world in terms of landing them well. He also said that Mao is actually rotating more quickly than in previous seasons as well.

He seemed quite confident that Mao's jump has improved and is likely to improve more. And why don't people trust the protocol a bit more?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    So are you an expert in figure skating technique?

Sano Minoru (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoru_Sano) was on Japanese television post-NHK and said that men in general spend 0.7 seconds in the air when they jump and that Mao's air time has now probably increased to 0.6 seconds because she is jumping higher than before. He estimated that she is jumping 1-2 centimeters higher now than in the previous season and that that would make all the difference in the world in terms of landing them well. He also said that Mao is actually rotating more quickly than in previous seasons as well.

He seemed quite confident that Mao's jump has improved and is likely to improve more. And why don't people trust the protocol a bit more?

I trust my own eyes the most. Mao's jumps looked small and underrotated to me. But since you are mentioning people from Japanese television: People from German television pointed out that lots of Mao's jumps looked underrotated to them.

And to answer your question: No, I'm not an expert in technique. Just a figure skating fan with an opinion.

Custom Title
    Mao's jumps are definitely not small. When she does under rotate them it's because she doesn't spin fast enough, not for lack of height. Watching NHK I didn't notice much of a difference in her jumps for better or worse, but she is attacking her programs more than I have seen in years and not giving points away with pops.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Mao's jumps are definitely not small.

Well, that's subjective. Compared to other skaters, her jumps look small to me. Look at Harding's or Ito's triple axel and then look at Mao's.

When she does under rotate them it's because she doesn't spin fast enough, not for lack of height.

More height would give her more time to get the rotation as well, no?

Custom Title
    To my eyes, Mao's jumps sure look light and effortless with distance and height (maybe not always with the 2nd or 3rd jump in a combo). If I want to know under rotation or not, I look for the protocols.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't call her jumps small. But sometimes they lack the spring that she is capable of achieving on them.

~high art~
    Mao's jumps still have some height (well, not as good as it was in pre2010, tho) but they cover pretty little distance except her 2A.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by David21 View Post
    Well, that's subjective. Compared to other skaters, her jumps look small to me. Look at Harding's or Ito's triple axel and then look at Mao's.
    Every female skater in history has small jumps compared to Ito and Harding.

Every female skater in history has small jumps compared to Ito and Harding.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5