Thread: I missed skating on TV again

Hybrid View

I missed skating on TV again

Wbhere can I go to see when it is on TV? This is the 2nd time I've missed it and I am very upset right now.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Wbhere can I go to see when it is on TV? This is the 2nd time I've missed it and I am very upset right now.
    If you are referring to TV coverage in the U.S.:

I stopped posting updates in the thread below because others lost interest.

The post below (#10 on page 1 of that thread) covered everything of which I was aware at the time that others indicated that they preferred to rely on a non-GS resource. (I had gone back to make revisions to the post below well after the original date/time-stamp.)
    ETA, the link below includes the NBC schedule for the entire 2013-2014 season (GPs, GPF, Nats, ISU championships -- everything except the Olympics) + the Disson broadcast schedule.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I see you're in Michigan - check your local NBC listings. They have been carrying the GP at a variety of times on Sundays. They've been showing Mans LP, Ladies LP, and sometimes the winner of the dance (D&W or V&M, but they skipped P&B)

If you have the ability to pick up Canadian channels, you definitely want to check there too.

I don't know whether they will be covering any of the other GP's, since NBC has the area here, but TVJapan -it appears to be NHK for overseas-may be on your Cable! It was on mine. I signed up for November. So far, they have shown
    1. Mens SP & LP
    2. Ladies SP & LP
    3. Dance FD
    And there's a fourth show this evening. Since I don't read Japanese, it will be a surprise - maybe the Gala, maybe Pairs.

Finally, you could get Direct TV or Dish. Both have Universal Sports.

When all else fails, Icenetwork has all the GP's on demand, so you can't miss them. No commentary though, except for Skam.

Custom Title
    Next week the telecast time seems to be back to 4:30 EST. The early afternoon ones are frustrating because one is not in the habit of looking for sports at that time of the day. I missed almost all of them last year.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I use the Search function &Dvr it

Someone should start a TV coverage thread and sticky it.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Next week the telecast time seems to be back to 4:30 EST.
    NBC's coverage of TEB is from 4:30 - 6:00 pm ET on Sun Nov 17 -- meaning a shorter broadcast of 90 minutes for this one GP.

(NBC's Skate America and Skate Canada broadcasts began at 4:00 pm, and lasted two hours. Cup of China, NHK, Rostelecom, and GPF had or will have earlier starting times for broadcasts of two hours.)

Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Someone should start a TV coverage thread and sticky it.
    In fairness to GS members outside of the U.S., a sticky thread (if the mods wish to establish one) should be open to TV schedules for any countries.

(I do wonder whether my fellow Americans just have a tendency to be "needier." I am puzzled at the contrast with Canadians, for example, who never [AFAIK] post on GS about being unaware or forgetful regarding skating telecasts available to them.)

There have been times when skating was supposed to be on TV my our stations decided to air football or hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Finally, you could get Direct TV or Dish. Both have Universal Sports.
    Verizon FiOS also has added Universal Sports.

Free previews of Universal Sports available at the moment (AFAIK):
    - DIRECTV - 10/30-11/20
    - Dish Network - 10/30-11/12 (ends tomorrow, in other words)
    - Verizon FiOS - 10/28-1/1

The television schedule for me as a West Coaster can be confusing because sometimes they tape delay (usually regarding live coverage) some skating coverage but not others. So for example, TEB coverage is at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time. In the West Coast, it is aired at the same time, so at 1:30 p.m. Pacific time.

But come nationals, when there's a 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. LIVE segement, they usually tape delay it and air it at 8 p.m. Pacific time (i.e. 11 p.m. Eastern Time).

That said, it probably would be beneficial to have a master "TV/Feeds thread" for each GP event/nationals/olympics, etc....that can be updated. In fact, I'm going to go start one.