Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: I missed skating on TV again

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I see what everyone means about the beautiful arrangement of the music that Adelina is using. It is an unusually lovely rendition.
    I just wish she would get a different costume for the free skate- I'm not a fan of sheer costumes, scratch that, I detest them, add in the nude leotard underneath the brown sheer dress portion

    This was my first good look at Jason. I was thrilled. One thing that impressed me was the speed of his spins; another was the complexity of his footwork. I'm really eager to see how he grows. I can see Rohene Ward's inventive influence, and it was so exciting to see something truly different presented.
    he reminds me a lot of Scott Hamilton/Kurt Browning in the sense that he is very entertaining to watch.

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,450
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    I still think that Adelina should change her costume. It is not appropriate, she is a very young, beautiful lady. She did a wonderful job and I am excited for her. These ladies have tremendous pressure to deal with.
    Yes, it's way too diaphanous, and it flips up too revealingly. It's just an interruption to the overall effect. If it were just a little more opaque, and tacked down another few inches lower, it would be very elegant.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    908
    Anna Pogorilaya is incredible too. She is so womanly and talented already. Russians have tremendous years in figure skating coming up.. wow..

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,450
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    Anna Pogorilaya is incredible too. She is so womanly and talented already. Russians have tremendous years in figure skating coming up.. wow..
    I know. Isn't it going to be a splendid time for fans all over the world?

  5. #35
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I don't think that was Jason's parents.

    This is is a photo of his parents:https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonbska...11352305197056
    Oh, thanks, Mrs. P.
    When the couple first was shown on NBC, I assumed that they were not Jason's parents.
    But I could swear that then Terry Gannon immediately said something like, "There are his parents ...." So I changed my mind and assumed that Gannon was correct.
    Maybe I misunderstood what he said.

    In any case, I do not want to bash NBC, even it really was(?) Gannon's minor error.
    In another thread, some recently were unhappy that Savannah Guthrie momentarily confused Davis/White's last names when they made a live appearance on the Today show. As soon as Guthrie's garbling came out of her mouth, she caught and corrected herself (perhaps with the help of a producer who alerted via her earpiece?? -- only my speculation).
    But such bobbles can happen to the best of us. As we saw in one of the TEB dance threads, one of our very knowledgeable GS members accidentally typed, "Davis/White" instead of "Virtue/Moir" -- when reacting directly to V/M's TEB skate. The person obviously knows the difference btwn the two couples. It was a matter of fingers not cooperating with the brain.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    908
    Amazing time! I will, however, miss the Japanese superstars immensely. At least we have Hanyu left and some very talented rising Japanese stars to enjoy. All of the veterans will be missed too. Our Jeremy Abbott, and so many others, will leave gaps in my heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I know. Isn't it going to be a splendid time for fans all over the world?

  7. #37
    “Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    288
    On my NBC station, TEB was preempted because there's severe weather going through the viewing area (my specific area got very lucky and the weather is not too bad). Consequently, I have an hour and a half of weather updates on my DVR instead. Can anyone upload or post links to the NBC videos so I can hear what the commentators said? (The best thing would be to have the whole thing in one video). I know I'm greedy, since I already know the results and videos of the programs are already online. Johnny Weir, however, has developed into a good enough commentator that I actually want to know what he says.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,450
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    On my NBC station, TEB was preempted because there's severe weather going through the viewing area (my specific area got very lucky and the weather is not too bad). Consequently, I have an hour and a half of weather updates on my DVR instead. Can anyone upload or post links to the NBC videos so I can hear what the commentators said? (The best thing would be to have the whole thing in one video). I know I'm greedy, since I already know the results and videos of the programs are already online. Johnny Weir, however, has developed into a good enough commentator that I actually want to know what he says.
    I'm sorry that I've never been able to find skating video on the NBC site. Innumerable reruns of reality shows, yes, but never the skating. Maybe someone else is smarter about this.

    But I'm relieved to hear that your area is okay. The stories are very scary!

    Yes, Johnny made some great observations, as did Tara. They are really blossoming as commentators. They seem refreshingly even-handed about skaters from different countries, as well. They pointed out errors in Ashley's program and praised the two Russians generously.

  9. #39
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    .... Also enjoyed seeing Jason's parents -- they look so young. Jason had tweeted (or said in an interview?) that he is staying in France an extra day to visit museums -- hope that means they and Kori are too. Very exciting trip all around for Team Brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I don't think that was Jason's parents.

    This is is a photo of his parents:https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonbska...11352305197056
    Now that I think about it, I wonder whether perhaps NBC misidentified the couple in the stands b/c of where they were sitting. Seem to recall that in Vancouver 2010 coverage, NBC had to give an on-air apology after misidentifying a man as Rochette's grieving father. The explanation for the mistake was that NBC had relied on Papa Rochette's seat number (which was provided by an official source, such as the LOC or Skate Canada, IIRC).

    Per Jason's tweeting, the Brown family is enjoying their post-TEB sightseeing. One of their photos :

    And a family photo from ten years ago :

  10. #40
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,994
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Now that I think about it, I wonder whether perhaps NBC misidentified the couple in the stands b/c of where they were sitting. Seem to recall that in Vancouver 2010 coverage, NBC had to give an on-air apology after misidentifying a man as Rochette's grieving father. The explanation for the mistake was that NBC had relied on Papa Rochette's seat number (which was provided by an official source, such as the LOC or Skate Canada, IIRC).

    Per Jason's tweeting, the Brown family is enjoying their post-TEB sightseeing. One of their photos :

    And a family photo from ten years ago :
    That second photo is hilarious. However, what is even more hilarious is their matching Halloween costumes: https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/sta...77714827399168

    Jason seems to have a great family to keep him grounded

  11. #41
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,742
    I got to see skating at last!

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    I got to see skating at last!
    What did you think of everyone?

  13. #43
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,742
    I was very impressed by Jason Brown. Almost had tears after his performance.

    Ashley--good but needs more polishing. Her triples were fun to watch but her two-footing the landings are a tsk tsk.

    Adelina SOTNIKOVA--Liked it but her see-through costume was distracting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •