I missed skating on TV again | Golden Skate

I missed skating on TV again

Johar

Medalist
Wbhere can I go to see when it is on TV? This is the 2nd time I've missed it and I am very upset right now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wbhere can I go to see when it is on TV? This is the 2nd time I've missed it and I am very upset right now.

If you are referring to TV coverage in the U.S.:

I stopped posting updates in the thread below because others lost interest.

The post below (#10 on page 1 of that thread) covered everything of which I was aware at the time that others indicated that they preferred to rely on a non-GS resource. (I had gone back to make revisions to the post below well after the original date/time-stamp.)
ETA, the link below includes the NBC schedule for the entire 2013-2014 season (GPs, GPF, Nats, ISU championships -- everything except the Olympics) + the Disson broadcast schedule.​

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I see you're in Michigan - check your local NBC listings. They have been carrying the GP at a variety of times on Sundays. They've been showing Mans LP, Ladies LP, and sometimes the winner of the dance (D&W or V&M, but they skipped P&B)

If you have the ability to pick up Canadian channels, you definitely want to check there too.

I don't know whether they will be covering any of the other GP's, since NBC has the area here, but TVJapan -it appears to be NHK for overseas-may be on your Cable! It was on mine. I signed up for November. So far, they have shown
1. Mens SP & LP
2. Ladies SP & LP
3. Dance FD
And there's a fourth show this evening. Since I don't read Japanese, it will be a surprise - maybe the Gala, maybe Pairs.

Finally, you could get Direct TV or Dish. Both have Universal Sports.

When all else fails, Icenetwork has all the GP's on demand, so you can't miss them. No commentary though, except for Skam.

Next week the telecast time seems to be back to 4:30 EST. The early afternoon ones are frustrating because one is not in the habit of looking for sports at that time of the day. I missed almost all of them last year.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
all you have to do is go to the competitions thread, there's one for each event. no spoilers are in the titles, so it's "Safe" if you're trying to go unspoiled.

IIRC heather's TV listing has been updated with the little bit of skating coverage happening on TV

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Next week the telecast time seems to be back to 4:30 EST.

NBC's coverage of TEB is from 4:30 - 6:00 pm ET on Sun Nov 17 -- meaning a shorter broadcast of 90 minutes for this one GP.

(NBC's Skate America and Skate Canada broadcasts began at 4:00 pm, and lasted two hours. Cup of China, NHK, Rostelecom, and GPF had or will have earlier starting times for broadcasts of two hours.)

Someone should start a TV coverage thread and sticky it.

In fairness to GS members outside of the U.S., a sticky thread (if the mods wish to establish one) should be open to TV schedules for any countries.

(I do wonder whether my fellow Americans just have a tendency to be "needier." :confused2: :think: I am puzzled at the contrast with Canadians, for example, who never [AFAIK] post on GS about being unaware or forgetful regarding skating telecasts available to them.)

Johar

Medalist
There have been times when skating was supposed to be on TV my our stations decided to air football or hockey.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There have been times when skating was supposed to be on TV my our stations decided to air football or hockey.

Sorry to hear about your local preemptions in the past, which you did not mention in your OP.
Just couldn't help noticing that this thread is the third one this season started by an American in search of TV listings. (Before yours, someone else had started a second one after the one I cited in post #2 already existed.) The absence of any analogous Canadian thread at all is what struck me as worthy of comment.

Hope that you are able to enjoy future broadcasts. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ABC was notorious for preempting or chacking figure skating for other sports (especially basketball)... local markets MAY preempt the taped figure skating competition broadcast to show a live sporting event, but for the most part NBC is free of that - they have Sunday Night football and most of the local markets use FOX or CBS to show the football. Doesn't mean in certain cases the NBC affiliate gets it...

but it makes complete sense to show a LIVE event over a taped one.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Finally, you could get Direct TV or Dish. Both have Universal Sports.

Verizon FiOS also has added Universal Sports.

Free previews of Universal Sports available at the moment (AFAIK):
- DIRECTV - 10/30-11/20
- Dish Network - 10/30-11/12 (ends tomorrow, in other words)
- Verizon FiOS - 10/28-1/1​

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The television schedule for me as a West Coaster can be confusing because sometimes they tape delay (usually regarding live coverage) some skating coverage but not others. So for example, TEB coverage is at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time. In the West Coast, it is aired at the same time, so at 1:30 p.m. Pacific time.

But come nationals, when there's a 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. LIVE segement, they usually tape delay it and air it at 8 p.m. Pacific time (i.e. 11 p.m. Eastern Time).

That said, it probably would be beneficial to have a master "TV/Feeds thread" for each GP event/nationals/olympics, etc....that can be updated. In fact, I'm going to go start one.

ABC was notorious for preempting or chacking figure skating for other sports (especially basketball)... local markets MAY preempt the taped figure skating competition broadcast to show a live sporting event, but for the most part NBC is free of that - they have Sunday Night football and most of the local markets use FOX or CBS to show the football. Doesn't mean in certain cases the NBC affiliate gets it...

but it makes complete sense to show a LIVE event over a taped one.

One year they pre-empted a competition for blizzard coverage. There were local correspondents on TV virtually all day showing various highways covered with snow. It may even have been the World Championships.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The NBC coverage was listed as TBA on the Guide channel until Saturday by my cable provider. It's easy to miss a skating program. There are no teaser advertisements for them, and the networks don't even update the cable providers in a timely fashion.

It's almost as bad as the days when you had no idea what month the World championships would be aired, or if it would be aired at all, being preempted by a fireman's competition, a demolition derby, curling, or roller derby :bang: But those were the days - if skating was going to be on TV, it would be on Saturday at the same time each week.

heyang

Record Breaker
This is why I'm glad I have TiVo. I have mine set to automatically records 'Figure Skating' keywords as part of the show description. Only risk is if something is higher on my season pass list - so, I do check it every so often.

Johar

Medalist
I will NOT miss it today unless high winds/storms knock out our cable or the local affiliates decide to air football/hockey/basketball. Or, they air an infomercial. That happened one year during an mportant horse race. I had an hour of knives.

brightphoton

Medalist
The NBC coverage was listed as TBA on the Guide channel until Saturday by my cable provider. It's easy to miss a skating program. There are no teaser advertisements for them, and the networks don't even update the cable providers in a timely fashion.

This. I missed Skate Canada, Skate China, and NHK. Skating isn't even on at the same time every week.