I missed skating on TV again | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I missed skating on TV again

Amei

Record Breaker
This. I missed Skate Canada, Skate China, and NHK. Skating isn't even on at the same time every week.

I don't know what kind of TV you have have, U-verse, Comcast, directtv, etc. But I have U-verse and I can hit the info button then scroll to 'more showtimes' and I can see the future times when skating will be on- and can record on DVR.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Just re-watched Patrick Chan's FS - impressive landing of jumps, very good everything else. I still feel nothing, no emotion when I watch. There is no joy or thrill or romance for me. Johnny mentioned that Patrick possesses maturity and that he is 'easy to watch'. His two programs were certainly easy to watch and impressively clean. For his fans and him, I hope that he skates perfectly at the Olympics. It will be grand and fitting for Canada to finally earn that OGM.

yes, Hanyu Yuzuru is skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Aw, Jason was the kiss and cry moment of the day! Not surprised; the sheer delight on his face was awesome to see again!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Aw, Jason was the kiss and cry moment of the day! Not surprised; the sheer delight on his face was awesome to see again!

Loved how he was leaning forward at the monitor to read his scores without his glasses ... before he reacted with such a big gasp.

Also enjoyed seeing Jason's parents -- they look so young. Jason had tweeted (or said in an interview?) that he is staying in France an extra day to visit museums -- hope that means they and Kori are too. Very exciting trip all around for Team Brown. :)

This was my first good look at Jason. I was thrilled. One thing that impressed me was the speed of his spins; another was the complexity of his footwork. I'm really eager to see how he grows. I can see Rohene Ward's inventive influence, and it was so exciting to see something truly different presented.

As for Patrick, how splendid to see him skate a flawless performance. I hope he does this at the Olympics. My one reservation about his skating is that I find his arms rather stiff, especially compared to both Jason Brown and Yuzuru Hanyu. But man, his feet. Such smooth overall skating, and such amazing footwork.

Hanyu did a lovely job except for that beginning, and I can see his style beginning to mature.

Samantha Cesario...wow! I hadn't really seen much of her before, and I loved her elegance and emotional power.

I see what everyone means about the beautiful arrangement of the music that Adelina is using. (The Rondo Capriccioso, I think?) It is an unusually lovely rendition.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I still think that Adelina should change her costume. It is not appropriate, she is a very young, beautiful lady. She did a wonderful job and I am excited for her. These ladies have tremendous pressure to deal with.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Loved how he was leaning forward at the monitor to read his scores without his glasses ... before he reacted with such a big gasp.

Also enjoyed seeing Jason's parents -- they look so young. Jason had tweeted (or said in an interview?) that he is staying in France an extra day to visit museums -- hope that means they and Kori are too. Very exciting trip all around for Team Brown. :)

I don't think that was Jason's parents.

This is is a photo of his parents:https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/385611352305197056

Amei

Record Breaker
I see what everyone means about the beautiful arrangement of the music that Adelina is using. It is an unusually lovely rendition.

I just wish she would get a different costume for the free skate- I'm not a fan of sheer costumes, scratch that, I detest them, add in the nude leotard underneath the brown sheer dress portion :eek:

This was my first good look at Jason. I was thrilled. One thing that impressed me was the speed of his spins; another was the complexity of his footwork. I'm really eager to see how he grows. I can see Rohene Ward's inventive influence, and it was so exciting to see something truly different presented.

he reminds me a lot of Scott Hamilton/Kurt Browning in the sense that he is very entertaining to watch.

I still think that Adelina should change her costume. It is not appropriate, she is a very young, beautiful lady. She did a wonderful job and I am excited for her. These ladies have tremendous pressure to deal with.

Yes, it's way too diaphanous, and it flips up too revealingly. It's just an interruption to the overall effect. If it were just a little more opaque, and tacked down another few inches lower, it would be very elegant.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Anna Pogorilaya is incredible too. She is so womanly and talented already. Russians have tremendous years in figure skating coming up.. wow..

ice coverage

Record Breaker

This is is a photo of his parents:https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/385611352305197056

Oh, thanks, Mrs. P.
When the couple first was shown on NBC, I assumed that they were not Jason's parents.
But I could swear that then Terry Gannon immediately said something like, "There are his parents ...." So I changed my mind and assumed that Gannon was correct.
Maybe I misunderstood what he said.

In any case, I do not want to bash NBC, even it really was(?) Gannon's minor error.
In another thread, some recently were unhappy that Savannah Guthrie momentarily confused Davis/White's last names when they made a live appearance on the Today show. As soon as Guthrie's garbling came out of her mouth, she caught and corrected herself (perhaps with the help of a producer who alerted via her earpiece?? -- only my speculation).
But such bobbles can happen to the best of us. As we saw in one of the TEB dance threads, one of our very knowledgeable GS members accidentally typed, "Davis/White" instead of "Virtue/Moir" -- when reacting directly to V/M's TEB skate. The person obviously knows the difference btwn the two couples. It was a matter of fingers not cooperating with the brain.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Amazing time! I will, however, miss the Japanese superstars immensely. At least we have Hanyu left and some very talented rising Japanese stars to enjoy. All of the veterans will be missed too. Our Jeremy Abbott, and so many others, will leave gaps in my heart.

I know. Isn't it going to be a splendid time for fans all over the world?

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
On my NBC station, TEB was preempted because there's severe weather going through the viewing area (my specific area got very lucky and the weather is not too bad). Consequently, I have an hour and a half of weather updates on my DVR instead. Can anyone upload or post links to the NBC videos so I can hear what the commentators said? (The best thing would be to have the whole thing in one video). I know I'm greedy, since I already know the results and videos of the programs are already online. Johnny Weir, however, has developed into a good enough commentator that I actually want to know what he says.

On my NBC station, TEB was preempted because there's severe weather going through the viewing area (my specific area got very lucky and the weather is not too bad). Consequently, I have an hour and a half of weather updates on my DVR instead. Can anyone upload or post links to the NBC videos so I can hear what the commentators said? (The best thing would be to have the whole thing in one video). I know I'm greedy, since I already know the results and videos of the programs are already online. Johnny Weir, however, has developed into a good enough commentator that I actually want to know what he says.

I'm sorry that I've never been able to find skating video on the NBC site. Innumerable reruns of reality shows, yes, but never the skating. Maybe someone else is smarter about this.

But I'm relieved to hear that your area is okay. The stories are very scary!

Yes, Johnny made some great observations, as did Tara. They are really blossoming as commentators. They seem refreshingly even-handed about skaters from different countries, as well. They pointed out errors in Ashley's program and praised the two Russians generously.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Also enjoyed seeing Jason's parents -- they look so young. Jason had tweeted (or said in an interview?) that he is staying in France an extra day to visit museums -- hope that means they and Kori are too. Very exciting trip all around for Team Brown. :)

Now that I think about it, I wonder whether perhaps NBC misidentified the couple in the stands b/c of where they were sitting. Seem to recall that in Vancouver 2010 coverage, NBC had to give an on-air apology after misidentifying a man as Rochette's grieving father. The explanation for the mistake was that NBC had relied on Papa Rochette's seat number (which was provided by an official source, such as the LOC or Skate Canada, IIRC).

Per Jason's tweeting, the Brown family is enjoying their post-TEB sightseeing. One of their photos :):

And a family photo from ten years ago :cool::

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Now that I think about it, I wonder whether perhaps NBC misidentified the couple in the stands b/c of where they were sitting. Seem to recall that in Vancouver 2010 coverage, NBC had to give an on-air apology after misidentifying a man as Rochette's grieving father. The explanation for the mistake was that NBC had relied on Papa Rochette's seat number (which was provided by an official source, such as the LOC or Skate Canada, IIRC).

Per Jason's tweeting, the Brown family is enjoying their post-TEB sightseeing. One of their photos :):

And a family photo from ten years ago :cool::

That second photo is hilarious. However, what is even more hilarious is their matching Halloween costumes: https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/395977714827399168

Jason seems to have a great family to keep him grounded :)