Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Why Julia will win Olympic Gold

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Speaking of which, I would love a skater to skate "Yumeji's Theme" from "In the Mood for Love"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuTd2qoSrdg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    We should start a new thread called "Is Julia the new Kaetlyn?" Every season at least one new skater gets overhyped. Last season Kaetlyn was supposed to beat Yuna at Worlds.
    that already happened with Julia in 2011 even still in juniors
    besides Julia can actually skate 2 clean programs

but kudos to the thread starter, I have learned new english vocabularies
    that I had to google most of the words and what they mean, lol

Custom Title
    Julia is great, but not as great as you see her. She has a chance to podium but no gold for her yet. I think she'll shine in 2018.

Custom Title
    Wow! Who is Kaetlyn? Not Osmond or was someone smoking something???? As for Julia winning gold the only real thing she has going for her it is in her home nation. Sheis a young lady still developing with a good chance the puberty monster will hit and hurt her sadly. her jumps are small and her spins travel She doesn't have nough power yet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Wow! Who is Kaetlyn? Not Osmond or was someone smoking something???? As for Julia winning gold the only real thing she has going for her it is in her home nation. Sheis a young lady still developing with a good chance the puberty monster will hit and hurt her sadly. her jumps are small and her spins travel She doesn't have nough power yet.
    No other than your beloved overhyped Osmond, who cannot skate a clean program in FS and only get inflated marks on home ice falling on her butt the same one you keep bragging will crush all the Russians, , Osmond's scores should reflect that outside home ice in 140-150 range with 3 falls the scores that she should be getting

Julia is landing her jumps and have one of the best spins
    puberty will hit her, maybe wishful for now ? boo hoo
    Julia unlike many can actually skate clean programs

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    No other than your beloved overhyped Osmond, who cannot skate a clean program in FS and only get inflated marks on home ice falling on her butt the same one you keep bragging will crush all the Russians, , Osmond's scores should reflect that outside home ice in 140-150 range with 3 falls the scores that she should be getting
    What is wrong with you sky_fly? Did a Canadian stuff too much maple syrup down your throat? I wouldn't mind a durian falling on you.

Custom Title
    Okay, I am a huge Julia fan. I think she has some of the most magnificent spins and flexibility that we've seen in years and her Biellman and I-spin are jaw dropping. Her jumps are lacking the height and power of many other skaters, but she lands them with solid consistency and is to be commended for being one of a handful of skaters on the senior circuit who can reliably land 7 triples.

However, she is simply not at the artistic level (though she has improved) of skaters like Kim, Mao, Kostner. To say her skating skills are truer and more diverse than Kim is your fandom showing, and not the reality. Kim generates far more speed and her jumps have way more power, although Julia's spins are better. Skaters like Mao and Kostner have a more mature, solid command of the ice, more intricacy in their transitions, and greater control and finesse in their upper body. Note that Lipnitskaia has a personal best PCS scores of 60.88 in her freeskate, whereas Kim (73.61), Kostner (70.69), Mao (70.23), Wagner (66.01), Sotnikova (63.99), Tuktamysheva (61.65), Suzuki (67.26), Murakami (62.11) , Gold (62.11), even Radionova (61.70), have all earned higher PCS. Her leg up (no pun intended) on them is her jumping consistency and technical content, and difficult spins, not her artistry.

If Julia goes clean on home ice she might stand a chance to beat a very flawed Kim or Kostner or Asada. But it's pretty obvious that she's playing for bronze at this point. I would hope that clean performances of hers beat skaters with better artistry (of which there are several) because I always prefer a technically amazing performance to beat so-so technical performances (even if the latter skaters have better artistry). I firmly believe Tara deserved Gold over Michelle even if Kwan was much more artistic.

Your passion for Julia's skating is nice to see - and certainly puts the "fan" in "fanatic" - but to say she will undoubtedly win gold, given the field being artistically much stronger than her, is setting yourself up for disappointment.

"she has an uncanny knack of letting people realize their own national pride by burying it with her seamless transitions"

Dude, whatever you're smoking, I would love a hit of that.

Custom Title
    This reminds me of the "Kaetlyn Will Win Worlds" thread of last year. Some of you have very eloquent language to describe Julia's skating but it is too slow and blasé at the moment. She is a potential OGM, but in 2018 not 2014.

Mashimaro on Ice
    It's good that she already has such dedicated fans.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Note that Lipnitskaia has a personal best PCS scores of 60.88 in her freeskate, whereas Kim (73.61), Kostner (70.69), Mao (70.23), Wagner (66.01), Sotnikova (63.99), Tuktamysheva (61.65), Suzuki (67.26), Murakami (62.11) , Gold (62.11), even Radionova (61.70), have all earned higher PCS. Her leg up (no pun intended) on them is her jumping consistency and technical content, and difficult spins, not her artistry.
    I'm not saying Julia will win OGM but I want to say about PCS.
    PCS always moving up and down with good/bad performances. Gold's 62 PCS at the Skate Canada, only became 60 at the NHK. Same as Suzuki (66 to 63) Murakami got 57 this year at the Cup Of China. Almost same as Pogorilaya. Sotnikova only got 60 (CoC), Tuktamisheva 59 (SA) Kostner 65 (CoC) I think. Good performers like Radionova raised her PCS 59 to 61. I don't think she is better than Julia. Julia programs, costumes are beautiful. Even Leonova's best PCS is 61.82. So If Lipnitskaia skate clean at Cup Of Russia I don't think we will see bad PCS.

Figure skating fans know about speed, edges but for outside of that fans most impressive skater is probably Julia because of her incredible spins and positions.

Custom Title
    The among of gush on the opening post is infectious and a delight, although the comparison to Kim seems unnecessary. Julia has been my fav young skaters from Russia, and it is great to see her coming back so strong this season with her FS program. Not sure about the SP, but to have a great memorable program is very rare in this sport - one of conservatism instead of progression.

Although to be fair I do not think all the qualities you mentioned should be there in the performance (I keep imagine Julia's furrowed brow reading your elaborate gush), for it would certainly convoluted the performance, when its beauty is in its simplicity and general good will. It does not try to be pretentious, and murky the purity or artistic intent that is the music.

By the way, I cried buckets at Ponette, but I think Julia is far from helpless, defensiveness or innocent as that girl. What I like that most about Julia is her fighting and competitive spirit and her being truthful to both her strength and weaknesses, this comes cross in her interview which I enjoy reading. Good luck to her at Grand Prix Finals. I'd love to see her podium and bring a big happy smile instead of that 'look' at Cup of China last year. (which admitted was also lol delightful)

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Figure skating fans know about speed, edges but for outside of that fans most impressive skater is probably Julia because of her incredible spins and positions.
    Once they see her trying her jumps they start to think otherwise.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I dont want to see Julia winning Gold at this age, cause i want to see more of her in the future, for once I like that Mao and Yuna didnt compete in 2006 cause we saw after great performances by them, Mao for the last 8 years in seniors, it is an amazing treat.Had she won in Torino, what would have been her motive to continue? Same for Julia etc. Those girls are too young, can very well skate in 2018 and 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I dont want to see Julia winning Gold at this age, cause i want to see more of her in the future, for once I like that Mao and Yuna didnt compete in 2006 cause we saw after great performances by them, Mao for the last 8 years in seniors, it is an amazing treat.Had she won in Torino, what would have been her motive to continue? Same for Julia etc. Those girls are too young, can very well skate in 2018 and 2022.
    But then again, OGM winners sometimes DO continue. Yuna and V/M are still around from the last cycle. Yevgeny Plushenko continued for years and years despite having won everything there was to win. I think it just kind of depends on the individual and what they see for their future and how and if skating factors in. Sometimes it does; sometimes it doesn't.

Custom Title
    I strongly hope that Julia will not win OGM right now, because I'm too selfish.
    I want to see her growing up to a lovely young woman, capitalizing her technique and beauty performing great programs in the future.
    If she wins gold she will disappear.
    I always would love to see Baiul, Lipinski,Hughes in competitive form in the recent age of Mao, Arakawa or Kostner.
    It would have been a gift for us.

Julia is special in many ways, if she were blooming, do it in your prime time when you are a lady.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast