Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Why Julia will win Olympic Gold

Custom Title
    I don't think Julia will disappear if she wins Olympic gold. Obviously it's the best place to do it, on home ice, and that moment will be hard to recreate, but she'll be 15 only... enough for two more Olympics if she wants. She'll surely want to win Worlds, and the Grand Prix final. Not to mention more GP medals. I can't imagine her cashing in, when she's only just begun to blossom artistically, even if puberty might ruin her 2018 chances if she stays on, but you can't worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I don't think Julia will disappear if she wins Olympic gold. Obviously it's the best place to do it, on home ice, and that moment will be hard to recreate, but she'll be 15 only... enough for two more Olympics if she wants. She'll surely want to win Worlds, and the Grand Prix final. Not to mention more GP medals. I can't imagine her cashing in, when she's only just begun to blossom artistically, even if puberty might ruin her 2018 chances if she stays on, but you can't worry about that.
    Some skaters may wish to continue (like Hughes), but it is very difficult to sustain the motivation when you've won Olympic gold. Very few ladies Olympic champions continue, and they're not the 15 year old's who won pre-maturely. In fact, who besides Witt and Kim have done so in recent decades? (ladies champions, that is.)

I'm sure she won't win the Olympics.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    But then again, OGM winners sometimes DO continue. Yuna and V/M are still around from the last cycle. Yevgeny Plushenko continued for years and years despite having won everything there was to win. I think it just kind of depends on the individual and what they see for their future and how and if skating factors in. Sometimes it does; sometimes it doesn't.
    But most dont, do they? Skaters like Yuna are rare. Plushenko is not the normal type of skater too I think especially ladies, wiining in early age, what is there to be motivated about? I think Mao continued for this reason, Irina, Michelle, for the Olympic Gold, Plushenko after SLC too, had he won there maybe he would have stopped, having won in Vancouver he would have stopped for sure I think Daisuke would have stopped after Vancouver if he had won considering his injuries. (so thank you mr Lysacek for both )

I think the only way Julia could end up winning the Olympics is if the top contenders withdrew due to injury, or they all bombed spectacularly. I see her more as having a chance at the bronze presently.

Custom Title
    It seems that Julia is already the OGM of euphuistic and grandiloquent tributes and serenades.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    It seems that Julia is already the OGM of euphuistic and grandiloquent tributes and serenades.
    no more than Chan in that regard

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    no more than Chan in that regard
    As a 5 time Worlds medalist and 3 time Worlds champion, Chan gets 10 times more bashing and nitpicking than any praise he receives. As for any tribute and serenade as euphuistic and grandiloquent as Julia is offered here, maybe if AllYouDoIsTalk becomes a Chan fan...........

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^Chan he'd better reads Stanislavsky too then.
    Last edited by seniorita; 11-11-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    As a 5 time Worlds medalist and 3 time Worlds champion, Chan gets 10 times more bashing and nitpicking than any praise he receives. As for any tribute and serenade as euphuistic and grandiloquent as Julia is offered here, maybe if AllYouDoIsTalk becomes a Chan fan...........
    That turned me into a more ardent fan. And indeed how nice is AllYouDoIsTalk can be a Chan fan.

Don't worry Julia. Your turn will come. Once you are up there, the hounds will turn on you. Julia's fans will have live with it just like we Chan's fans or we can turn ourselves into hounds in enemy's territories. What do you think, sky-fall? Like they say, if you can't beat them, join them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    We should start a new thread called "Is Julia the new Kaetlyn?" Every season at least one new skater gets overhyped. Last season Kaetlyn was supposed to beat Yuna at Worlds.
    I do not know this old or new Kaetlyn. All I know is that Julia is not a novelty act for her era like Yuna Kim, or pseudo-ballerina like Baiul, or mere competent artisans like Kwan and Yamaguichi. Julia is an artist; she is in the vein of Ludymila Pakhomova and Janet Lynn. Overhyped or not, you will pay respect to Julia all in good time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouDoIsTalk View Post
    I do not know this old or new Kaetlyn. All I know is that Julia is not a novelty act for her era like Yuna Kim, or pseudo-ballerina like Baiul, or mere competent artisans like Kwan and Yamaguichi. Julia is an artist; she is in the vein of Ludymila Pakhomova and Janet Lynn. Overhyped or not, you will pay respect to Julia all in good time.
    OK she is nowhere near as artistic Kim, Baiul, or Kwan. Her clean skates are getting the same artistic marks as Gracie Gold with a few errors.

In fact, there are probably >10 skaters who would get better artistic marks if clean. Adelina, Elena R, Gracie, Ashley, Kanako, Akiko, Caro, Mao, Yuna come immediately to mind.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Okay, I am a huge Julia fan. I think she has some of the most magnificent spins and flexibility that we've seen in years and her Biellman and I-spin are jaw dropping. Her jumps are lacking the height and power of many other skaters, but she lands them with solid consistency and is to be commended for being one of a handful of skaters on the senior circuit who can reliably land 7 triples.

However, she is simply not at the artistic level (though she has improved) of skaters like Kim, Mao, Kostner. To say her skating skills are truer and more diverse than Kim is your fandom showing, and not the reality. Kim generates far more speed and her jumps have way more power, although Julia's spins are better. Skaters like Mao and Kostner have a more mature, solid command of the ice, more intricacy in their transitions, and greater control and finesse in their upper body. Note that Lipnitskaia has a personal best PCS scores of 60.88 in her freeskate, whereas Kim (73.61), Kostner (70.69), Mao (70.23), Wagner (66.01), Sotnikova (63.99), Tuktamysheva (61.65), Suzuki (67.26), Murakami (62.11) , Gold (62.11), even Radionova (61.70), have all earned higher PCS. Her leg up (no pun intended) on them is her jumping consistency and technical content, and difficult spins, not her artistry.

If Julia goes clean on home ice she might stand a chance to beat a very flawed Kim or Kostner or Asada. But it's pretty obvious that she's playing for bronze at this point. I would hope that clean performances of hers beat skaters with better artistry (of which there are several) because I always prefer a technically amazing performance to beat so-so technical performances (even if the latter skaters have better artistry). I firmly believe Tara deserved Gold over Michelle even if Kwan was much more artistic.

Your passion for Julia's skating is nice to see - and certainly puts the "fan" in "fanatic" - but to say she will undoubtedly win gold, given the field being artistically much stronger than her, is setting yourself up for disappointment.

"she has an uncanny knack of letting people realize their own national pride by burying it with her seamless transitions"

Dude, whatever you're smoking, I would love a hit of that.
    I do not do drugs, but I do have strong alcohol almost every day. (I like to have my wits about me whenever I can.) But that is neither here nor there.

What is this having more speed in skating or more power in jumping have to do with being more artistic? The magnitude of a jump or the high speed in skating should not necessarily be an artistic merit in figure skating. If they are not within the context of the program, then they are not merits, but demerits to artistry. Why jump high when you are skating to Bach or Nina Rota-- shouldn't it be more linear for the former (even though he is composing for the on High), and more sprightly for the latter? So are we saying that only variants and juxtapositions and contrasts (from the linear to the planar) have artistic merit?

Quantifying artistic merit is not the way to go. Above all you must be asking yourself which skate is the *true* one; not which pleases you best by its jumps and speed. The question of artistic merit should be: "Does this move me?" or "Does this stir me inside?" not "Does this comply with the quantification of artistry?" This is not really an abstract concept as you make it out to be. You see, what I object to is the tendency to view artistry in isolation-- in other words, to compartmentalize it. If we are going to quantify artistry in figure skating, a proverbial gesture, or at least a special kind of silence has to be found within the skating programs themselves-- to lift a program from the level of a snapshot to that of a brilliant creation.

...And why are you giving me past PCS scores of others? Julia's artistry is ahead of its time; as I have said to another on here, the judges and audience alike will catch up to it in good time. For in Julia, there is at least an attempt to find figure skating that fills something bigger than arenas and clubs-- which shouldn't be an endeavor too young, too slight, and too naïve for the merits of others.

I think if the thrust of the thread was, "Can Julia's already well received LP be a giant killer by the time Sochi arrives?", we might then have something REAL to talk about.

Custom Title
    Well I hope not so she can stay, improve artistically and make more of an impact on skating. I want to see her skate as a young lady like Yuna and Mao. Someone that comes in and win big for the first time doesn't usually have a lasting imprint on skating. Skating needs a jolt in some parts of the world.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast