Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 125

Thread: Why Julia will win Olympic Gold

  1. #76
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,385
    Gee, I will miss AUDIT. He was so much fun and entertainment, intentional or not, and he's an unique character on this board. He got on some people's nerves but he was certainly not alone in that aspect when other annoying posters stay forever, or seemingly forever before their eventual overdue ouster.

    I said on another thread he started which is now closed, that I didn't think he was mean, stupid, and trollish in response to Mathman's comment (about AUDIT's banished post) not to contradict MM but because being mean and trollish is a metter of intention which I was in no position to assess. As for stupidity, I don't think he is low in IQ but likely low in some other Qs such Emotional and Social so he says obnoxious and stupid stuff like we all do at various times, some more than others.

    All in all, I think AUDIT is a hoot, whatever else monikers one may want to add, and wish he could have stayed longer until he proves himself absolutely intolerable. Oooops, he already did?

  2. #77
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,967
    The forum needs to have a poll of who should be banned. I don't think this person would have received the most votes.

  3. #78
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I don't know if I agree with AUDIT (thanks, SkateFiguring) being banned from the boards. I mean he (she?) drove us all crazy with his (her) pretentious drivel and maybe the interpretation of Julia's skating was a bit much, but I never saw any posts that were particularly horrible. Also, this poster never personally attacked any of the skaters, which I can't say the same for some people who still can post on these boards.

    Admins, can you reconsider?
    I admit that AllYouDoIsTalk made me laugh more than once; on the other hand, posts that are incomprehensible/make no sense are trollish by their very nature. And a few of the more idolatrous posts about his worship of Julia bordered on creepy to me in their tone.

    While I am not absolutely committed to an opinion on it, I'm not sure that I agree with this emerging movement to see him as some kind of pet, a tame troll, the jester we like to laugh at, cap and bells and all, the bear we like to bait.

    First of all, I think it's a patronizing attitude, and more for our benefit than his.

    Second, while it seems a source of endless diversion now, I am also not sure that it would remain so upon prolonged exposure. The novelty may wear thin.

    Have you read the short story, "The Monkey's Paw", Mrs. P? The moral it illustrates is: be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

  4. #79
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,385
    Oh come on, Robeye, besides serving those functions you mentioned, I'm sure AUDIT actually sent a few people to the dictionary sites which must be a good thing.

  5. #80
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    I admit that AllYouDoIsTalk made me laugh more than once; on the other hand, posts that are incomprehensible/make no sense are trollish by their very nature. And a few of the more idolatrous posts about his worship of Julia bordered on creepy to me in their tone.

    While I am not absolutely committed to an opinion on it, I'm not sure that I agree with this emerging movement to see him as some kind of pet, a tame troll, the jester we like to laugh at, cap and bells and all, the bear we like to bait.

    First of all, I think it's a patronizing attitude, and more for our benefit than his.

    Second, while it seems a source of endless diversion now, I am also not sure that it would remain so upon prolonged exposure. The novelty may wear thin.

    Have you read the short story, "The Monkey's Paw", Mrs. P? The moral it illustrates is: be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.
    That is true.

    However, as other folks pointed out, he is no worse than other posters who haven't been banned and honestly if the posts get to much, I can always use the ignore feature.

    And he wasn't completely useless either...I do think if you remove all the big words, he did make some useful points.

  6. #81
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,385
    Better an entertaining and hilarious troll than hateful and mean spirited trolls. They have opposite effects on other members' health and spirits.

  7. #82
    Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bible Belt
    Posts
    403
    I thought AUDIT was female, and not North American???? I have found that many who have learned English as a second language are far more into vocabulary and into the mathematics so to speak of the English language to the point where the average American is put off because it sounds so obnoxious and unnatural. I admit, I did have to look up some of those words!!!

  8. #83
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    I thought AUDIT was female, and not North American???? I have found that many who have learned English as a second language are far more into vocabulary and into the mathematics so to speak of the English language to the point where the average American is put off because it sounds so obnoxious and unnatural. I admit, I did have to look up some of those words!!!
    From his attitude I had thought he was a foreign male but then he made some language mistakes usually made by native English speakers (which of course often go unnoticed by most fellow native speakers) which got me curious until he revealed that he was Russian American.

  9. #84
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,858
    I don't think his wordiness to the point of incomprehensibility was the issue. It was more his superiority complex over Americans and the like that I found off-putting, and his assumptions about people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    And a few of the more idolatrous posts about his worship of Julia bordered on creepy to me in their tone.
    Yeah, I thought so too, but didn't want to point that out since it could just be his way of expressing himself. But yeah, there's gushing about a skater, and then there's AYDIT.

  10. #85
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    From his attitude I had thought he was a foreign male but then he made some language mistakes usually made by native English speakers (which of course often go unnoticed by most fellow native speakers) which got me curious until he revealed that he was Russian American.
    Me, as a native Russian, wants to know what kind of mistakes are considered as "Eng speakers' mistakes"?? If that's not a hardship, of course

  11. #86
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    987
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Yeah, I thought so too, but didn't want to point that out since it could just be his way of expressing himself. But yeah, there's gushing about a skater, and then there's AYDIT.
    I am all for freedom of religion. Really sad that the Cult of Julia was destroyed before I could convert. I know I'm not the only one.

  12. #87
    Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bible Belt
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    From his attitude I had thought he was a foreign male but then he made some language mistakes usually made by native English speakers (which of course often go unnoticed by most fellow native speakers) which got me curious until he revealed that he was Russian American.
    Hmm, I wonder how long he has been American, and are we sure AYDIT was male??? It's funny because I usually find ESL'ers especially from Eastern Europe to have a severe command on the English language. Martina Navratilova comes to mind. You could tell in her commentary everything had to be just perfect, while Pam Shriver would go all "American" which would probably confuse someone who learned English in their 20s. Ten years ago I was at a meet and greet with Martina, and I'd read all the books on her, and when introduced I said "It is such a pleasure Ms. Nav-ra-TEEL-o-vah." Which is the correct Czech way to prounounce it. She spent a few extra minutes with me because of my attention to detail and we were both active in several gay rights organizations. But Martina's English is better than mine, because she studied it, where all I did was absorb it. It seemed AUDIT had studied it.

  13. #88
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Gee, I will miss AUDIT. He was so much fun and entertainment, intentional or not, and he's an unique character on this board. He got on some people's nerves but he was certainly not alone in that aspect when other annoying posters stay forever, or seemingly forever before their eventual overdue ouster.

    I said on another thread he started which is now closed, that I didn't think he was mean, stupid, and trollish in response to Mathman's comment (about AUDIT's banished post) not to contradict MM but because being mean and trollish is a metter of intention which I was in no position to assess. As for stupidity, I don't think he is low in IQ but likely low in some other Qs such Emotional and Social so he says obnoxious and stupid stuff like we all do at various times, some more than others.

    All in all, I think AUDIT is a hoot, whatever else monikers one may want to add, and wish he could have stayed longer until he proves himself absolutely intolerable. Oooops, he already did?
    Did he delete his account or what?? Is he banned?

  14. #89
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I don't know if I agree with AUDIT (thanks, SkateFiguring) being banned from the boards. I mean he (she?) drove us all crazy with his (her) pretentious drivel and maybe the interpretation of Julia's skating was a bit much, but I never saw any posts that were particularly horrible. Also, this poster never personally attacked any of the skaters, which I can't say the same for some people who still can post on these boards.

    Though I guess you can consider AUDIT's stating that Gracie lacked knowledge regarding colonialism and imperialism as a personal attack?

    Admins, can you reconsider?
    I think the real issue is he/she was pretty clearly a troll, albeit a bit of an unconventional one. There was no way he/she was serious in terms of what s/he was saying, and it is doubtful that he/she wanted to have a 'real' discussion so much as that he/she wanted to sort of rile things up.

    That is just my take. I have no real opinion on the banning and if it should/should not have happened, but I do understand (I think) why it did.

  15. #90
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,428
    I found him to be extremely pretentious and whatever big (or small) word you would use to describe someone with their head way too far up their own tushy, but I don't think he deserved to be banned. I hardly understood any point he tried to make (far too complex for my tiny brain to handle) but he was well within his right to express his lond-winded and meandering opinions on this forum.

    He aggravated the snot out of me but I'd throw in my two cents and say the mods should reconsider...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •