Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I'm seeing a different Adam Rippon

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I think he is adorable and have loved his skating for years. He is who I watch first this year. Love the programs...did Buttle do his? Who is his coach? I knew he was with Orser- a few people left when YuNa did. Anyone know why he left Orser?

When I look at Javi, I see an Orser clone. Adam is more consistent now, and he outshines Jeremy at his best. I so want him in Sochi. So as far as the most elegant skaters in the world, I think he can outshine Chan and Dai on their best days, Adam at 23 is the real deal. He seems so true to himself, no artifice going on like this year's version national champ.
    Yuna Kim left Orser in August 2010. Adam said at the time that her leaving (and all the media attention) did not affect his training. In the spring of 2011 (March or April) Adam announced he was going to train with Ghislain Briand at the Cricket Club - someone who he worked with regularly - rather than Orser because he needed someone to help control his emotions/nerves. I'm kind of vague on any other reasons he gave for leaving Brian Orser but had noticed that when a skater messed up Brian always seemed very upset in the kiss n cry. Maybe that emotion that Brian showed affected Adam - but that is just my speculation.

Anyway Adam didn't stay with Ghislain very long. In June 2011 he announced the change to Detroit Skating Club and Jason Dungien. His skating did seem to improve and he started landing the 3A more often and announced training of a 4Z. What I noticed as time went on was that overall Adam seemed to lose power and speed and was very tentative with the 3A. He seemed to skate half way down the rink to set up the 3A and then frequently fell on it.

In September 2012 he announced his move to Rafael Arturian in Lake Arrowhead. His programs for this season are SP - Carmen Suite choreographed by Cindy Stuart and FS Prelude to the Afternoon of the Fawn choreographed by Tom Dickson. I think it was in August 2013 that the training facility at Lake Arrowhead closed. Rafael and his skaters are now training at the East West Ice Palace (Kwan family rink) in Artesia, CA. I really think this move to Rafael has helped Adam....he seems much more focused and determined. I remember Michelle Kwan mentioning that when she trained with Rafael that he would chase her around the rink and yell at her to skate faster - something that no one else had done for a long time.

Sorry this is so long...but I wanted to try and answer your questions . Adam has been one of my favorites for quite awhile and I now have some hope that he will make the U. S. Olympic team.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the information, MFaraone. I too noticed at NHK that Adam was skating with new confidence. I'm so excited, because I've always loved his artistry, but he seemed like yet another fabulous skater who couldn't sustain what his talent promised. If he can put the two sides of skating together, what an impact he could make internationally.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    Yuna Kim left Orser in August 2010. Adam said at the time that her leaving (and all the media attention) did not affect his training. In the spring of 2011 (March or April) Adam announced he was going to train with Ghislain Briand at the Cricket Club - someone who he worked with regularly - rather than Orser because he needed someone to help control his emotions/nerves. I'm kind of vague on any other reasons he gave for leaving Brian Orser but had noticed that when a skater messed up Brian always seemed very upset in the kiss n cry. Maybe that emotion that Brian showed affected Adam - but that is just my speculation.

Anyway Adam didn't stay with Ghislain very long. In June 2011 he announced the change to Detroit Skating Club and Jason Dungien. His skating did seem to improve and he started landing the 3A more often and announced training of a 4Z. What I noticed as time went on was that overall Adam seemed to lose power and speed and was very tentative with the 3A. He seemed to skate half way down the rink to set up the 3A and then frequently fell on it.

In September 2012 he announced his move to Rafael Arturian in Lake Arrowhead. His programs for this season are SP - Carmen Suite choreographed by Cindy Stuart and FS Prelude to the Afternoon of the Fawn choreographed by Tom Dickson. I think it was in August 2013 that the training facility at Lake Arrowhead closed. Rafael and his skaters are now training at the East West Ice Palace (Kwan family rink) in Artesia, CA. I really think this move to Rafael has helped Adam....he seems much more focused and determined. I remember Michelle Kwan mentioning that when she trained with Rafael that he would chase her around the rink and yell at her to skate faster - something that no one else had done for a long time.

Sorry this is so long...but I wanted to try and answer your questions . Adam has been one of my favorites for quite awhile and I now have some hope that he will make the U. S. Olympic team.

Adam left Orser's team because he wanted to re-evaluate the way he was paced throughout the season.

♥ My Mirai's Golden Pond ♥ Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KwanIsALegand View Post
    Is it just me ( I hope it's not) or does Adam seem to be attacking his programs with a new vigor? He seems very focused and determined this season. I know he had a few foibles in his LP at NHK, but I think overall he should be happy with his showing so far in the GP. I've been on the Adam train for awhile and would love love love to see him break through. His artistry and fluidity across the ice is gorgeous to watch.
    I think switching to Raphael was a good move for Adam.
    This does seem to be a new Adam, attacking his programs as you say!

May Adam keep it up through to Nationals and on through the Olympics knock wood!! Since my dream of Mirai at the Games is likely not coming true I have to hold on to my dream of Adam making it!

Thank you MFarone for all of the Rippon (and Kwan!) tidbits!

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Is anyone else a big Adam Rippon fan?
    I can't say I am at this point, as I'm relatively new to the figure skating fandom, but his new SP has caught my eye and made me notice him. The choice of music and the well-timed execution (highlighting the nuances of the music which I very much look for in performances, and appreciate) went down with me very well. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of Adam Rippon's skating from now on.

On the Ice
    I watched the CBC recap of NHK and Kurt Browning had great things to say about Adam developing a fierce attack. I agree...Four strong programs! Go Adam!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclare View Post
    I watched the CBC recap of NHK and Kurt Browning had great things to say about Adam developing a fierce attack. I agree...Four strong programs! Go Adam!!
    Oh I wish I could hear Kurt Browning's thoughts on everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2