I'm seeing a different Adam Rippon | Golden Skate

I'm seeing a different Adam Rippon

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Is it just me ( I hope it's not) or does Adam seem to be attacking his programs with a new vigor? He seems very focused and determined this season. I know he had a few foibles in his LP at NHK, but I think overall he should be happy with his showing so far in the GP. I've been on the Adam train for awhile and would love love love to see him break through. His artistry and fluidity across the ice is gorgeous to watch.
I think switching to Raphael was a good move for Adam.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Is it just me ( I hope it's not) or does Adam seem to be attacking his programs with a new vigor? He seems very focused and determined this season. I know he had a few foibles in his LP at NHK, but I think overall he should be happy with his showing so far in the GP. I've been on the Adam train for awhile and would love love love to see him break through. His artistry and fluidity across the ice is gorgeous to watch.

Couldn't agree more with everything you say! I was cautiously optimistic abt the 2013-2014 season for Adam after watching his interview with The Skating Lesson (filmed sometime this summer) and my optimism has proven to be warranted. I think he could be a future World medalist if he keeps his confidence and focus. Watch the interview if you haven't yet- you will be enchanted by him. He's so honest, vulnerable, smart, and sweet. and a GREAT skater!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I had never really been a fan, but these two programs are wonderful - he definitely understands the choreography and what each movement means. He also seems to be faster across the ice than before and looks much stronger. I think these are two of the best programs of the season

noskates

Record Breaker
I have been a fan of Adam's since the first time I saw him skate. Seeing him "live" at the 2012 Nats just proved how utterly graceful he is on the ice. I'm so glad to see him getting some consistency back in his skating. Moving to Artoonian (sp?) was a great move for him. Adam's style of skating is pleasing to me (versus Max Aaron's herky jerky movements for example) He finishs every move, his spins are tight and he just has a polish about him. Even tho he had some problems in his LP at NHK, he never let up or gave up. He does seem to have a new determination this season and I'm glad for it.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am on the Rippon bandwagon this season too. Adam has taken his skating to a new level. He seemed delicate to me in previous seasons but this year there is a strength and confidence to his skating while he has retained his artistry. He has the whole package. I hope he makes the Olympic team.

Sara

On the Ice
Adam has improved a lot since last season. I love everything about his skating and the new programmes are great! I really hope he wins nationals and makes the Olympic team. Btw, today is Adam's birthday! :hb:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
by far best male out there this season re programs-adore this kid-really coming to his peak this season I hope.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I've always enjoyed Adam's skating and agree that he seems more powerful and faster this season. It appears that Rafael has helped him gain consistency with the 3A and progress on the 4T and 4Z. Really hope Adam makes the Olympic team!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Is anyone else a big Adam Rippon fan?

I think he is adorable and have loved his skating for years. He is who I watch first this year. Love the programs...did Buttle do his? Who is his coach? I knew he was with Orser- a few people left when YuNa did. Anyone know why he left Orser?

When I look at Javi, I see an Orser clone. Adam is more consistent now, and he outshines Jeremy at his best. I so want him in Sochi. So as far as the most elegant skaters in the world, I think he can outshine Chan and Dai on their best days, Adam at 23 is the real deal. He seems so true to himself, no artifice going on like this year's version national champ.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I am, skateluvr! He's really come into his own this year and I'm so impressed with his programs, maturity, poise, and charisma. Love him! My 11 yr old stepdaughter has a huge crush on him! :)

mjames

Rinkside
I've always enjoyed Adam's skating and agree that he seems more powerful and faster this season. It appears that Rafael has helped him gain consistency with the 3A and progress on the 4T and 4Z. Really hope Adam makes the Olympic team!

Agree all around. The fierce fighter that oozed with confidence that I remember from Hackensack has reemerged. He is a nice guy and a hard worker. I hope he is the National champ this year!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always liked him since the first time I saw him (don't remember the exact year/competition). In 2010 we attended the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA for the first time. Adam wasn't competing there, but he was being monitored by the USFS (this was also when Brian Orser was coaching him). We got to see Adam skating for about a half hour straight through on one of the practice rinks. What a joy to watch him! :love:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think he is adorable and have loved his skating for years. He is who I watch first this year. Love the programs...did Buttle do his? Who is his coach? I knew he was with Orser- a few people left when YuNa did. Anyone know why he left Orser?

When I look at Javi, I see an Orser clone. Adam is more consistent now, and he outshines Jeremy at his best. I so want him in Sochi. So as far as the most elegant skaters in the world, I think he can outshine Chan and Dai on their best days, Adam at 23 is the real deal. He seems so true to himself, no artifice going on like this year's version national champ.

Yuna Kim left Orser in August 2010. Adam said at the time that her leaving (and all the media attention) did not affect his training. In the spring of 2011 (March or April) Adam announced he was going to train with Ghislain Briand at the Cricket Club - someone who he worked with regularly - rather than Orser because he needed someone to help control his emotions/nerves. I'm kind of vague on any other reasons he gave for leaving Brian Orser but had noticed that when a skater messed up Brian always seemed very upset in the kiss n cry. Maybe that emotion that Brian showed affected Adam - but that is just my speculation.

Anyway Adam didn't stay with Ghislain very long. In June 2011 he announced the change to Detroit Skating Club and Jason Dungien. His skating did seem to improve and he started landing the 3A more often and announced training of a 4Z. What I noticed as time went on was that overall Adam seemed to lose power and speed and was very tentative with the 3A. He seemed to skate half way down the rink to set up the 3A and then frequently fell on it.

In September 2012 he announced his move to Rafael Arturian in Lake Arrowhead. His programs for this season are SP - Carmen Suite choreographed by Cindy Stuart and FS Prelude to the Afternoon of the Fawn choreographed by Tom Dickson. I think it was in August 2013 that the training facility at Lake Arrowhead closed. Rafael and his skaters are now training at the East West Ice Palace (Kwan family rink) in Artesia, CA. I really think this move to Rafael has helped Adam....he seems much more focused and determined. I remember Michelle Kwan mentioning that when she trained with Rafael that he would chase her around the rink and yell at her to skate faster - something that no one else had done for a long time.

Sorry this is so long...but I wanted to try and answer your questions :). Adam has been one of my favorites for quite awhile and I now have some hope that he will make the U. S. Olympic team.

Thanks for the information, MFaraone. I too noticed at NHK that Adam was skating with new confidence. I'm so excited, because I've always loved his artistry, but he seemed like yet another fabulous skater who couldn't sustain what his talent promised. If he can put the two sides of skating together, what an impact he could make internationally.

Sara

On the Ice
Yuna Kim left Orser in August 2010. Adam said at the time that her leaving (and all the media attention) did not affect his training. In the spring of 2011 (March or April) Adam announced he was going to train with Ghislain Briand at the Cricket Club - someone who he worked with regularly - rather than Orser because he needed someone to help control his emotions/nerves. I'm kind of vague on any other reasons he gave for leaving Brian Orser but had noticed that when a skater messed up Brian always seemed very upset in the kiss n cry. Maybe that emotion that Brian showed affected Adam - but that is just my speculation.

Anyway Adam didn't stay with Ghislain very long. In June 2011 he announced the change to Detroit Skating Club and Jason Dungien. His skating did seem to improve and he started landing the 3A more often and announced training of a 4Z. What I noticed as time went on was that overall Adam seemed to lose power and speed and was very tentative with the 3A. He seemed to skate half way down the rink to set up the 3A and then frequently fell on it.

In September 2012 he announced his move to Rafael Arturian in Lake Arrowhead. His programs for this season are SP - Carmen Suite choreographed by Cindy Stuart and FS Prelude to the Afternoon of the Fawn choreographed by Tom Dickson. I think it was in August 2013 that the training facility at Lake Arrowhead closed. Rafael and his skaters are now training at the East West Ice Palace (Kwan family rink) in Artesia, CA. I really think this move to Rafael has helped Adam....he seems much more focused and determined. I remember Michelle Kwan mentioning that when she trained with Rafael that he would chase her around the rink and yell at her to skate faster - something that no one else had done for a long time.

Sorry this is so long...but I wanted to try and answer your questions :). Adam has been one of my favorites for quite awhile and I now have some hope that he will make the U. S. Olympic team.

Adam left Orser's team because he wanted to re-evaluate the way he was paced throughout the season.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

This does seem to be a new Adam, attacking his programs as you say!

May Adam keep it up through to Nationals and on through the Olympics knock wood!! Since my dream of Mirai at the Games is likely not coming true I have to hold on to my dream of Adam making it! :biggrin:

Thank you MFarone for all of the Rippon (and Kwan!) tidbits! :rock:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Is anyone else a big Adam Rippon fan?

I can't say I am at this point, as I'm relatively new to the figure skating fandom, but his new SP has caught my eye and made me notice him. The choice of music and the well-timed execution (highlighting the nuances of the music which I very much look for in performances, and appreciate) went down with me very well. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of Adam Rippon's skating from now on.