Asada: 2010 v.s. 2013/14 Personal Growth Going to Sochi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Asada: 2010 v.s. 2013/14 Personal Growth Going to Sochi

Sara

On the Ice
In my opinion Mao has improved in many ways and I love her skating, but I think she is behind Kim and Kostner what comes to her artistic skills. I predict that whoever of these ladies wins in Sochi, she won't be winning with a clear margin, not like in Vancouver.

minze

Medalist
And Melon showed up just in time too.

Of course, 'Asada XX Jump, underrotated?!' in multiple versions is fine, but hell forbid if there is a thread that's supposed to be positive about Mao. Positive things about Mao need to be taken to the Fan Feast Thread, which of course wouldn't count for every other skater.

And btw, nobody said you're just allowed to hail Mao in this thread, it was just supposed to keep all the hate out. Which of course didn't work, since os168 needed to give one of these weird 'politik'-speeches again. GS is full of unneededhate these days, and it doesn't really make this a nice place to be at.

I will be mad too if the skater I "dislike"was dominating the GP series. The haters are hating more cause Mao is winning!!!

The double standards of some people here are laughable.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
And Melon showed up just in time too.

Of course, 'Asada XX Jump, underrotated?!' in multiple versions is fine, but hell forbid if there is a thread that's supposed to be positive about Mao. Positive things about Mao need to be taken to the Fan Feast Thread, which of course wouldn't count for every other skater.

And btw, nobody said you're just allowed to hail Mao in this thread, it was just supposed to keep all the hate out. Which of course didn't work, since os168 needed to give one of these weird 'politik'-speeches again. GS is full of unneededhate these days, and it doesn't really make this a nice place to be at.

Name one thing I've said is hateful.

You may disagree with my views, it is another to continue to brand me as a hater when I have always been among the firsts to give her praises where she deserves them, such as her Jupiter program, and how an early exhibition fan clip of her SP hadn't had the right dubbed track (I was the first person on this forum give her the benefit of the doubt) and suggested she should be more musical than what the video suggests. That clip has since been rectified with the correct track and proved I was right.

Politiks matters in this sport. It is more weird to me you continue to blindly worship a skater so much you refuse to see the whole picture.

To put it simply - answer me this:

Forget about the rules.

Do you think her NHK personal bests with many questionable UR deserve a higher score and is objectively BETTER than her historical Vancouver performances with the 3 x fully rotated 3As? Would her performance here beat Joannie at the Olympics? I'd be very interested to ask Mao this myself, and would be very curious what her heart on her chest answer would be without a PR agent.

minze

Medalist
Mao already had great artistry but she has become even more musical , her step sequence in her LP is to die for love it. She also has exquisite ballerina movements in the SP.
The op did ask us to try to ignore the haters, I know is hard to do but maybe if we don't engage them they will post in the many hate Mao threads.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
os168 said:
Politiks matters in this sport. It is more weird to me you continue to blindly worship a skater so much you refuse to see the whole picture.

I don't think you know what I do or don't do - worshipping isn't generally my thing. Yes, there are reputation and politics factoring in, this is a judged sport after all. But by far not to the amount you're always proclaiming, and definitly not just for the skaters you want to pin the blame on. Talking about how all this rule changes were only there for Mao. Or, if I remember correctly, you were all 'Yuzuru's win over Daisuke was all politics' after last seasons japanese nationals (with some 'it was obvious through the whole GP series the JSF would play it like that' or whatever, wasn't it?). I just think your childish 'whole picture' of conspiracy theories doesn't exist.

Do you think her NHK personal bests with many questionable UR deserve a higher score and is objectively BETTER than her historical Vancouver performances with the 3 x fully rotated 3As? Would her performance here beat Joannie at the Olympics? I'd be very interested to ask Mao this myself, and would be very curious what her heart on her chest answer would be without a PR agent.

Oh gosh, what an overdramatic way to put that. It's obvious looking at Mao's face: she doesn't like getting this high scores when she didn't skate as well as she could have. And I doubt she was disappointed about the score.
And do you think in 2010 we would have seen so many high scores in general? Kostner scored a very high score (even a PB?) at 2013 worlds too with a fall and a popped triple. Do you think so many women would have scored 69+ (near 70) in the SP if clean, like Ashley and Gracie did? The scores went up in general, so there's no use comparing Mao's 2013 NHK score to 2010. But I guess this isn't a good 'whole picture', it just doesn't fit into conspiracy land.

miki88

Medalist
And do you think in 2010 we would have seen so many high scores in general? Kostner scored a very high score (even a PB?) at 2013 worlds too with a fall and a popped triple. Do you think so many women would have scored 69+ (near 70) in the SP if clean, like Ashley and Gracie did? The scores went up in general, so there's no use comparing Mao's 2013 NHK score to 2010. But I guess this isn't a good 'whole picture', it just doesn't fit into conspiracy land.

I remember back in 2010 it was hard to get 65 plus for the PCS. Now getting in the low to mid 60s seem to be the average (at least for top 10 skaters). Artistry is subjective; it really depends on what type of style you prefer. For me, her Ballade Ex and Jupiter showed her growth as an artist. There were seasons that were hard to watch her in competitions especially as her fan, but for these two programs alone, I am glad she continued after Vancouver.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

To be fair, Mao is skating much better at this point in her Olypmic season than 2010, when her GP placements were 2nd and 5th. She didn't position herself to win gold in Vancouver whereas she is doing so now.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Asada 2014 is better than Asada 2010 by a wide margin.

Here are the noticeable improvements
1. skating skills
2. speed
3. footwork
4. Salchow, 2A-3T
5. performance

Noticeable regression
1. Spins. Used to have better looking spins.
2. 3As used to be clean
3. lightness in her skate
4. loop isn't as effortless and easy

Same
1. flutz
2. flip

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
To be fair, Mao is skating much better at this point in her Olypmic season than 2010, when her GP placements were 2nd and 5th. She didn't position herself to win gold in Vancouver whereas she is doing so now.

Yes she did, she did in the absence of Yuna, Carolina, Miki, Joannie on the scene. Kanako proved to be unreliable, Akiko can never be a threat at home anyway. So she faced a bunch of newbies on the scene + Ashley Wagner. Home events are about containment as well as propping someone up. I am not debating her wins by default of lack of strong field, but I do believe false inflated bench marking and lenient calls create somewhat false sense of magic improvements her ubers are claiming. Luckily you can't mess with facts, historical legacy and relative judging, and importantly public opinions beyond this board, like member of the press, sport veterans who will certainly be talking behind the scenes.

I don't think you know what I do or don't do - worshipping isn't generally my thing. Yes, there are reputation and politics factoring in, this is a judged sport after all. But by far not to the amount you're always proclaiming, and definitly not just for the skaters you want to pin the blame on. Talking about how all this rule changes were only there for Mao. Or, if I remember correctly, you were all 'Yuzuru's win over Daisuke was all politics' after last seasons japanese nationals (with some 'it was obvious through the whole GP series the JSF would play it like that' or whatever, wasn't it?). I just think your childish 'whole picture' of conspiracy theories doesn't exist.

Oh gosh, what an overdramatic way to put that. It's obvious looking at Mao's face: she doesn't like getting this high scores when she didn't skate as well as she could have. And I doubt she was disappointed about the score.

So who else among all the ladies attempts the 3A except Mao? If she does not skate for Japan, say skate for Haiti, do you honestly think the rules would have changed to the extreme and as extensive as it did? So much so the technical judging now considered a 2footed 3A as qualified pass? Why not make 2footed landing the new acceptable standards for 3Lutz, 3 FLip, 3Loop, 3T as well? For it certainly benefit all the skaters. What should the new standard be now? Lets have all tiny pre 15 Russian/Chinese/US babies 'going for' 4T, since apparently 2 fted versions and generous calls boarder lined on 1/4 can be accepted now otherwise it seems hardly fair. And why be so gender bias, lets do it with the Men too and just watch their score improve as much as Mao. All those B level skaters who been marked down for 2 footed landings, sooo sorry, you've all been wronged!! Why bother with perfect technique. Complain to the coaches and judges now!! It seems utterly ridiculous, where will it end?

Yes I remember the thread where Yuzuru won over Daisuke where I've attribute to federation politics AND poor judging (you left that judging part out. Federation politics will always be there, good judging would being cool headed enough to make the right call based on what happened on the ice ON the day, despite the reputation and despite the politics), when Daisuke had among the best skates of his life (admittedly mediocre choreography :slink:) and Yuzuru had a poor outing and won by the crazy inflated PCS boosts over one season that someone like Chan took 2 or 3 years to earn them with superior skating skills and wider range of work. The judgement was wrong then and I still stand by my view today and tomorrow. To have the federation / official stand behind a skater over another has proven to distort rankings time and time again. Mao and Akiko over NHK last year was another prime example. (Please note I have never blamed the skater, but the judging, or particularly the funny goings that may influence the judging.) This happened at other competitions too, e.g last year's US nationals, and Johnny Weir's scoring at Vancouver being another instance. No conspiracy necessary, there are enough historical data to back up this trend.

So you haven't answered my 'melodramatic' question, or rather you imply

A) She doesn't like getting high scores when she didn't skate as well as she could have. (So you admit it was wrong to receive high score when Mao could have skated better)
B) You doubt she was disappointed about the score. (Yes, I doubt anyone would be disappointed receiving high scores. Gotta love those home cooking baby!)

even when a skater has consistently only demonstrate 4 triples at 50% failure rate in this sport with literally little impact on her scoring; without a 3/3, continues to flutz, and apparent much hyped 3A on 2 foot landing prone to under rotation. As great as her improvements on footwork, better practices doing the same Mao program every year end, I don't see how her recent improvements should be enough to compensate for her deteriorating jumps and surpass her previous historical Olympic performance or goes anywhere near it. It might be the reason herself is very aware of this and explained her recent announcement of 2 x 3A in her FS. The fact general inflation are made necessary to accommodate these new 'trends' makes a complete mockery of this sport on what it used to mean with a 200+ performance. I am clearly not the only one think so, just ask seasoned watchers like Phil Hersh who continues to tweet about them.

True worthy performance that justifies high score will have commentators/journalists/skating community gushes from world wide press without biases or agendas. Those who stays largely silent, and even makes disagreeable remarks among veterans in the industry (commentators, journalists, coaches) perhaps indicate where the true value of the numeric lie, much hot air about nothing until the real test at the Olympics.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Noticeable regression
1. Spins. Used to have better looking spins.
2. 3As used to be clean
3. lightness in her skate
4. loop isn't as effortless and easy
5. Spirals. Used to have great spirals in every program. There should be a monument of her perfect fan spiral. RIP, Mao's Level 4 Spirals.

Edit: Forget that. Don't rest in peace. Come back, Mao's Level 4 spirals! Get with the programs for GPF!

CarneAsada

Medalist
Yes she did, she did in the absence of Yuna, Carolina, Miki, Joannie on the scene. Kanako proved to be unreliable, Akiko can never be a threat at home anyway. So she faced a bunch of newbies on the scene + Ashley Wagner. Home events are about containment as well as propping someone up. I am not debating her wins by default of lack of strong field, but I do believe false inflated bench marking and lenient calls create somewhat false sense of magic improvements her ubers are claiming. Luckily you can't mess with facts, historical legacy and relative judging, and importantly public opinions beyond this board, like member of the press, sport veterans who will certainly be talking behind the scenes.
So you agree she deserved her wins against weak competition and everyone else agrees that the scores were slightly high? What is the controversy? In the end, what matters is the win, right? GOE, PCS, and credit for borderline jumps are always going to vary. I've long since given up expecting the judges to conform to some magic "reference state" that remains consistent between competitions after seeing the discrepancy between the judging of Mao's Vancouver and Torino free skates. Didn't you claim to have given up long ago, I don't know, 3 times already? You'd think that just saying "overscored" is fine without bringing up conspiracies. Judges can be influenced by reputation without being under the JSF's payroll. :laugh:

And obviously there has been improvement since late 2010, when Asada fell on 2 triple flips, did a single flutz and Axel and a waltz jump and landed a Sal and Loop of dubious quality at NHK Trophy. We can even do a comparison that's not silly/doesn't have laughably low standards: at Vancouver, Mao was attempting 4 different kinds of triples. In her Vancouver FS, she landed 4 credited triples total. At Worlds 2013, she was attempting 6 different kinds, and she landed 6. A flutz and a stepout yes, but still 6 different jumps of 3 revolutions.

So who else among all the ladies attempts the 3A except Mao? If she does not skate for Japan, say skate for Haiti, do you honestly think the rules would have changed to the extreme and as extensive as it did? So much so the technical judging now considered a 2footed 3A as qualified pass? Why not make 2footed landing the new acceptable standards for 3Lutz, 3 FLip, 3Loop, 3T as well? For it certainly benefit all the skaters. What should the new standard be now? Lets have all tiny pre 15 Russian/Chinese/US babies 'going for' 4T, since apparently 2 fted versions and generous calls boarder lined on 1/4 can be accepted now otherwise it seems hardly fair. And why be so gender bias, lets do it with the Men too and just watch their score improve as much as Mao. All those B level skaters who been marked down for 2 footed landings, sooo sorry, you've all been wronged!! Why bother with perfect technique. Complain to the coaches and judges now!! It seems utterly ridiculous, where will it end?
What? A 2 footed 3A was always considered a qualified pass under CoP. This isn't anything new. In 2007, Mao won a World silver with a 2-footed 3A. Obviously 2 footing is not the acceptable standard since your GOE is going to be negative. And borderline 1/4-turn short jumps have always been considered qualified. That was where people drew the line for downgrades. Over 1/4 turn short was a downgrade, and now it is a <. If you haven't forgotten, her Olympics and Worlds 3A-2T combinations had the 3A right at the boundary too. Are you suffering from dementia? Why all this outrage now and not back then? The greater leniency doesn't only benefit Mao. It would've benefited Mirai at 2010 US Nationals. And why doesn't it benefit Mirai now? Obviously because she's too much of a mess for leniency to do her good. In 2010-2011, Mao was frequently too much of a mess as well.

So you haven't answered my 'melodramatic' question, or rather you imply

A) She doesn't like getting high scores when she didn't skate as well as she could have. (So you admit it was wrong to receive high score when Mao could have skated better)
B) You doubt she was disappointed about the score. (Yes, I doubt anyone would be disappointed receiving high scores. Gotta love those home cooking baby!)

even when a skater has consistently only demonstrate 4 triples at 50% failure rate in this sport with literally little impact on her scoring; without a 3/3, continues to flutz, and apparent much hyped 3A on 2 foot landing prone to under rotation. As great as her improvements on footwork, better practices doing the same Mao program every year end, I don't see how her recent improvements should be enough to compensate for her deteriorating jumps and surpass her previous historical Olympic performance or goes anywhere near it. It might be the reason herself is very aware of this and explained her recent announcement of 2 x 3A in her FS. The fact general inflation are made necessary to accommodate these new 'trends' makes a complete mockery of this sport on what it used to mean with a 200+ performance. I am clearly not the only one think so, just ask seasoned watchers like Phil Hersh who continues to tweet about them.

True worthy performance that justifies high score will have commentators/journalists/skating community gushes from world wide press without biases or agendas. Those who stays largely silent, and even makes disagreeable remarks among veterans in the industry (commentators, journalists, coaches) perhaps indicate where the true value of the numeric lie, much hot air about nothing until the real test at the Olympics.
4 triples at 50% failure rate, you make me laugh. 4 triples at 50% failure rate is 2 triples. This year, has Mao been going for 4-triple LPs and instead doing 2-triple LPs? It's fine to be disappointed in the success rate of Mao's triples, but you needn't exaggerate. Her "deteriorating jumps" are really not much worse than the state they were in pre-Vancouver, where she didn't even bother with the flutz or the Salchow, and she got every Loop downgraded in her 2009 TEB LP. For someone who is so harsh on Mao this year, you're certainly quite easy on the 2009/2010 Mao with a Flip and Axel which might not have lasted her another year had she not retooled them. And for the remainder, you can just read above about the scoring.

Too long, didn't read? Here's the important part. Unless she does 8 clean triples, Mao Asada will not win in Sochi. I simply refuse to believe it. So don't worry. No need to do this... conspiracy awareness campaign?

guanchi

On the Ice
Don't really have a care about any specific skater's technical issues at this point- whether it's Mao or Yuna or Gracie or the russians, we can just argue endlessly in circles.
But Mao did have to endure and deal with a personal tragedy that doesn't often happen to someone her age, her mother's illness and death.
That no doubt had to have an effect on her skating for the past couple of years, plus she was reworking her jumps.
But that she could endure this, and continue to skate at the top level of this sport (perhaps submerging herself into it as a dedication to her mom, just a thought) is a testament to her character. Actually, it's a testament to anyone who had to endure a family crisis or tragedy. Some skating quibbles aside, Mao is simply a beautiful person. That is all.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Her triple axel were perfect and consistent at 2010. I don't know why she change her Technic, her triple axel in 2013 are not great and inconsistent (always two foot landing or fall)
She have regressed and was in better shape at Vancouver for the triple axel.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Don't really have a care about any specific skater's technical issues at this point- whether it's Mao or Yuna or Gracie or the russians, we can just argue endlessly in circles.
But Mao did have to endure and deal with a personal tragedy that doesn't often happen to someone her age, her mother's illness and death.
That no doubt had to have an effect on her skating for the past couple of years, plus she was reworking her jumps.
But that she could endure this, and continue to skate at the top level of this sport (perhaps submerging herself into it as a dedication to her mom, just a thought) is a testament to her character. Actually, it's a testament to anyone who had to endure a family crisis or tragedy. Some skating quibbles aside, Mao is simply a beautiful person. That is all.
Thank you. I for one am glad Mao is still skating after enduring disappointment after disappointment from 2010 to 2012: the slow, painful process of bringing back her jumps, showing apparent progress by 4CC only to get knocked nearly back to zero a month later by the Tohoku earthquake in 2011, losing her mother after a prolonged illness later that year, landing zero out of 48 attempted triple Axels at Worlds in Nice. She might not be the cleanest or the most flawless, but she is certainly tough.

Her triple axel were perfect and consistent at 2010. I don't know why she change her Technic, her triple axel in 2013 are not great and inconsistent (always two foot landing or fall)
In one of the other 8 billions threads about Mao, everyone is pointing out that in Vancouver, it was the other jumps that let her down, not the Axel. I'm not too fussed about mistakes on the Axel as long as she lands everything else.

Colanboy

Rinkside

Her triple axels were not perfect in 2010. They were not even close to consistent. If anything, she consistently missed them all Grand Prix season, got it downgraded in the SP at Nationals and got it downgraded again in the 4CC SP.
In fact, the Olympics were the only competition all season where Mao had all her triple axels ratified.

She changed her technique because her old technique was getting close to 0 GOE. It had great pop, but no distance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Mao has a chance definitely for Oly gold. There appears to be some key issues some within her control some not. If Yuna skates her best I do think Mao would also have to skate clean that includes no edges or UR's and the triple axel. Has Mao developed since 2010 - I am not sure about that BUT her jumps are still dubious - edges, technique, ur's. It appears she is trying to control her 3A so it isn't wild which is a smart move. Artistically i don't see her developing further. If the judges (tech experts) hit her hard she could be off the podium ala Mirai Nagasu. If Yuna makes a mistake or two Mao can win without a perfect performances. But she, Mao has so many issues that one would have thought been fixed by now or a clear decision. ie. the 3axels are clean and super consistent and she does one in combo and leaves out the lutz. The flip be super consistent and ensure she does two in thefs. She maximaizes her spin points. Yuna has wonderful flow and energy and musicality which will be hard to beat if mao isn't clean. i am sure Mao is trying her best but she has been relearning these jumps to clean up urs and edges for a while and sadly it hasn't happened as of yet. So what we have to hope for if you like Mao is the stars align.

prettykeys

Medalist

Do you not realize the stupidity and childishness contained in the Original Post: coming to a general figure skating forum, creating a thread and banning various skating-related topics, such as jumps? You want positivity and cheerleading without the critiques, then a Fan Fest thread or an uber fan forum is far more appropriate and less inflammatory than whining about OMG haterZ!!!1!!11 If u don't keep it all nice and and praise-y, then ur a hater!! Whatever is going on with the poster obsessed with Mao's jumps/underrotations and making threads about them, it's clear that he/she is not the only one who thinks they are occurring with some lenient/lucky calls from the tech specialists and not every one of them = "hater".

A whole slew of general figure skating fans have, in this thread, commented in some way about Mao's jumps. Oh nooo's, they broke the OP's rule! SLANDER! (Even though I think he means LIBEL!)

As this poster said,
I think a balanced discussion on her growth that doesn't include her jumping is not possible.
...and a balanced discussion is obviously not what some people want.

It's even more hilarious when OP can't even be consistent:

I personally believe that there's far too much unwarranted hate on Mao Asada this season. I also think that there has been a resounding agreement that her personal growth as a skater from Vancouver to now has been inspiring, impressive and promising. So, to cancel out the negative juju that some posters have decided to put out into the universe, I am starting to thread to talk about how far Mao has come since winning silver in 2010.

To prevent things from going sour- because it's bound to and you know people will pounce, I'm banning the following points:
- her jumps

...Asada has dealt with SO MUCH since Vancouver (losing her jumps
:rolleye: :laugh:

Asada grew as an artist in the first half of the 2010-2011 season. Since then it has mainly been about grabbing points with her. So, in sum total, she hasn't actually grown as an artist from what she showed in the 2007-2010 period. She has become a little better as a performer, maybe, but that's a separate thing and it doesn't really matter since she is saddled with poor choreography and doesn't have the artistic insight to do some of her own choreography, movement that comes directly from her own heart.
She has grown artistically in her Exhibitions which have always best highlighted her abilities. Her Jupiter Ex was heartfelt and moving. Her improved speed and skating skills/step sequences have definitely increased the overall impact of her performances, as well. However, I agree with you in that her competition programs tend to be more about chasing points and achievements rather than expressing an artistic vision or purpose.

Peach

Rinkside
Hmm well if we are solely talking about her technical performance then 2010 Mao is better because her jumps were more solid at that time. But, if we are talking about presentation, her artistry has grown and her footwork has improved since 2010.

miki88

Medalist
Mao has a chance definitely for Oly gold. There appears to be some key issues some within her control some not. If Yuna skates her best I do think Mao would also have to skate clean that includes no edges or UR's and the triple axel. Has Mao developed since 2010 - I am not sure about that BUT her jumps are still dubious - edges, technique, ur's. It appears she is trying to control her 3A so it isn't wild which is a smart move. Artistically i don't see her developing further. If the judges (tech experts) hit her hard she could be off the podium ala Mirai Nagasu. If Yuna makes a mistake or two Mao can win without a perfect performances. But she, Mao has so many issues that one would have thought been fixed by now or a clear decision. ie. the 3axels are clean and super consistent and she does one in combo and leaves out the lutz. The flip be super consistent and ensure she does two in thefs. She maximaizes her spin points. Yuna has wonderful flow and energy and musicality which will be hard to beat if mao isn't clean. i am sure Mao is trying her best but she has been relearning these jumps to clean up urs and edges for a while and sadly it hasn't happened as of yet. So what we have to hope for if you like Mao is the stars align.

Doubt it. Mirai's problems are more than just UR's. She just hasn't been skating well for a long time, so her second mark has dropped. If Mao continues to skate well (consistent), I feel her score total would still be enough for a medal even with stricter calls. I also feel Olympics tend not to be a strictly judged event, kinda of like in Vancouver.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Doubt it. Mirai's problems are more than just UR's. She just hasn't been skating well for a long time, so her second mark has dropped. If Mao continues to skate well (consistent), I feel her score total would still be enough for a medal even with stricter calls. I also feel Olympics tend not to be a strictly judged event, kinda of like in Vancouver.

Her second mark has actually increased (and deservedly so). Even with the errors at 2013 Worlds, her PCS in the FS was 68.41, a personal best.