Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Johnny, Tanith and Tara

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Yay for Terry Gannon!

He was the anchor host for the Speed Skating short track trials this weekend. Busy and talented guy!
    I love Terry too--but I'd rather have him with Johnny and Tara. I think I'm allergic to Scott's voice...

I'm so over Scott, as a commentator at least. I'm really hoping they're grooming Johnny to become his replacement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Bumping up this thread, due to this tweet by USFSA:

‏@USFigureSkating

IMPORTANT: How to watch the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships >> http://usfigu.re/HowToView NBC Schedule: pic.twitter.com/eU2KtAzoBA

From the link content:
    "Television
    The 2014 U.S. Championships will have eight hours of live, high-definition coverage of senior-level events on NBC. NBC will also air the Smucker’s Skating Spectacular, from 4‒6 p.m. (ET) on Saturday, Jan. 18. NBC’s broadcast team will consist of Tom Hammond and Terry Gannon (play-by-play), Scott Hamilton (analyst), Sandra Bezic (analyst), Tracy Wilson (analyst) and Andrea Joyce (reporter)."

I would much rather listen to Johnny, Tara, and Tanith--they actually provide analysis and also help casual viewers understand the sport better. I think this is a really bad move from NBC ahead of the Olympics. Now is the time to build excitement--fresh perspective and enjoyable commentary would do that. Everyone I know absolutely hates Hamilton's grunting and screeching. Oh well, I'll just stick with IN then.
    Why would they have two play by play guys? Tom Hammond adds nothing i think they need to just stick with Gannon.

Tara is knowledgable, but not exciting in her commentary like Scott and Terry. NBC definitely made the right choice.

Rinkside
    New poster here. It's my understanding that in addition to commentating for Nationals, Scott and Sandra will be doing the prime time commentating for the Olympics (skating that happened earlier in the day, given the time change) on NBC. Johnny and Tara will be doing live commentary for skating on NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), which will be on daytimes. That's the understanding I got from one of the press releases. Personally, I prefer Johnny and Tara. I'm thinking this was a contractual thing, set up at the start of the season. So while a lot of people might like Johnny and Tara, they have been set as the "second tier" team from the beginning. Maybe things will change after Scott and Sandra's contract is up.

Welcome, justathought. Thanks for joining us.

Custom Title
    I'm sure you're right about the contract--Johnny and Tara only joined NBC late in the fall, and this year's Nationals and primary Sochi contracts were likely drawn a long time ago. I was hoping against hope that NBC would at least add the new team in for a bit. Personally, I wish we had now at least the option of watching the last groups with IN instead, but unfortunately IN will have to give way to NBC at that point, so the only way to watch live at that point will involve listening to Scott and Sandra. Those of us without cable TV will be out of luck even for Sochi

Custom Title
    Why just once can't NBC show the US Nationals Ladies LP live here on the west coast? But what else can you expect they also didn't show any live skating from Vancouver in 2010 despite them being in the same time zone with the rest of the west coast.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6