Johnny, Tanith and Tara | Golden Skate

Johnny, Tanith and Tara

noskates

Record Breaker
I am so impressed with the new broadcasting team on NBC and Universal. Tanith has surprised me! She has been so articulate and has pointed out alot of the finer points of ice dancing and judging. Johnny was fabulous the past 2 weekends. He always tries to find something positive to say, brings a relevance to the sport that hasn't been there in awhile from the broadcasting booth, and his insights and knowledge have been a breath of fresh air. It seemed like this weekend at NHK he loosened up a bit, too. Tara takes a less positive approach but is far better than Sandra Bezic IMO. She was judging the Miss Universe pageant this weekend so Johnny did the Ladies event as well.

However - as I mentioned in another thread - would someone please please please put a gag on Peter Carruthers? His constant yammering is so annoying. He starts sentences and then doesn't know how to finish them and just blabs words. I don't believe he was in any of the actual NBC programs but was all over Universal. :disapp:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
As I wrote in another thread, I think it's painfully obvious which commentators have skated under IJS or have cared enough to learn it and which ones haven't. Having skated under IJS themselves, Johnny and Tanith have valuable insider knowledge of what the judges are looking for. Peter, Scott, and Sandra are very much 6.0 commentators who will probably never warm up to IJS. I loved Dick and Peggy when I was growing up, but part of me is glad they aren't commentating anymore because they would be in this category as well. Terry seems to have adjusted well to IJS and Tara has learned enough about it to speak intelligently about downgrades, URs, edge calls, etc.

I agree with you about Peter Carruthers. His pairs commentary isn't nearly as bad as his singles commentary, but it's still annoying. Why is he doing 3 out of 4 disciples? Surely there's a former singles skater out there who could do a more informative job with mens and ladies for Universal Sports. I would hope so, at least.

AlexaD

Rinkside
It was time for new life for commentating and Johnny and Tara are bringing it. Haven't heard Tanith but glad to hear she is going well too.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I totally agree re Johnny. He's been fabulous and getting better every week. He is eloquent, insightful, compassionate, and detailed in his commentary. My husband, a newbie to figure skating, is much more invested now that he's been listening to Johnny- he finds him funny and a "Good Teacher"- about the judging system and other things. Did you see that Johnny tweeted that Dick Button had called him to offer praise for his commentary?

noskates

Record Breaker
Didn't see that about Button - but that was very nice of him to do that. I'm guessing Johnny, Tanith and Tara are the A Team and Peter is the B team. Or maybe Peter works for Universal and the others NBC. I don't know, but I wish there was a way to mute him and still hear the music!

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic is basically the same person at this point. I wouldn't mind a bit if Johnny Weir replaces Scott Hamilton, as Weir would provide actual commentary and analysis not just mere hyperbole, gushing, and speculative asides.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Tanith is really, really good. I struggle with following the intricacies of ice dancing, but (in my lay opinion), she is excellent at conveying the strengths and weaknesses of each skate. I say this as someone who understands singles skating and the CoP for singles skaters very well, but has just never devoted a lot of time to understanding to CoP as it relates to (ha, Carruthers-ism) for ice dancers.

Tara's fine.

Johnny's fine. He's tamed down this year, for financial reasons probably. Who can blame him? Would love to see him be outrageous. Maybe if LOGO gets figure skating coverage.

Noskates, what I love about your OP is the Peter Carruthers criticism.

Peter Carruthers is effing terrible. Please, if you are reading this, and can do so, fire him! I can't say any better than you did, noskates. He begins sentences with no idea how to finish them. He just talks, talks, talks. He tries to use big words he doesn't know the meaning of. It takes him 20 words to say what others could say in 8.

And he loves to say "as it relates to" for no reason. He just sticks it into sentences (I think because he thinks it sounds fancy)!

noskates

Record Breaker
Pepe- you made me laugh! But you're so "right on!"

Was THRILLED, THRILLED I tell you, to see Ryan Bradley's name announced as the commentator for the Men's Short Program on Universal today. And he did the ladies short as well. Was very impressed with him. He's articulate, relevant, but not wishy-washy. Tanith did another really good job on the Short Dance, even walking us through the key points. I now know more than I ever did where Ice Dance is concerned and it's all pretty good.

eta: Meant to also mention that Ryan did a very credible job announcing the Pairs Short. It was clear he had done his homework. I really like this guy. Always liked his skating (and that smile that lights up the room) but I think he's found his post-competitive niche!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Pepe- you made me laugh! But you're so "right on!"

Was THRILLED, THRILLED I tell you, to see Ryan Bradley's name announced as the commentator for the Men's Short Program on Universal today. And he did the ladies short as well. Was very impressed with him. He's articulate, relevant, but not wishy-washy. Tanith did another really good job on the Short Dance, even walking us through the key points. I now know more than I ever did where Ice Dance is concerned and it's all pretty good.

eta: Meant to also mention that Ryan did a very credible job announcing the Pairs Short. It was clear he had done his homework. I really like this guy. Always liked his skating (and that smile that lights up the room) but I think he's found his post-competitive niche!
Are there any videos with Ryan's commentary online? The free preview on DISH ended, so I no longer have access to Universal Sports. Your positive post makes me want to hear Ryan for myself though. I actually completely forgot that he was going to start commentating.

BlackPack

Medalist
People have been complaining about Carruthers for decades now. His career survived all these years, and it's not from the fans' love. Maybe he is friendly and well-connected with the network heads. He has commented on all the major figure skating networks and events for years and years, and I don't exactly what know is contributing to his longevity. I don't think his commentary is that bad, but it's delivered in an annoying voice.

There was one event where Tara was wondering why Miki didn't do a 3/3 combo, because when she was competing against Michelle, she made sure she had a 3/3 since Michelle "was so good." I don't like when skaters talk about themselves when other skaters are trying to compete.

I enjoyed Johnny's commentary who sheds light on IJS as well as insight into skaters' personalities. It was nice hearing him praise Jason Brown. I've only heard Tanith's commentary on D&W's W '13 LP, so can't say much there.

penguin

On the Ice
I'm just so glad that the new guard is even getting a chance. I've hated the skating commentary for years and there was never a doubt in my mind that better commentators were out there, I just resigned myself to the fact that NBC would never replace their team. So I'm excited that they're lining up new talent, and that the new talent is doing such a solid job.

Amei

Record Breaker
I like Johnny-- it's hilarious after a skater has a bad skate- like Christina Gao this weekend, that he's like 'but she looked beautiful, like I gotta give her some positives :)

lcd

Match Penalty
I wish NBC would provide a way to watch the performances and commentary AFTER the broadcast as well.

Finding a decent and articulate way to express something positive is a good thing. I don't think it's 'hilarious' per se. Just seems appropriate. Falls and a bad performance are obvious enough without a commentator trashing someone. Good for Johnny to take a 'higher' road.

noskates

Record Breaker
Again, I'm not so enamored of Tara. She does talk about herself a bit. But having said that, if I NEVER have to listen to Dick Button, Peggy Fleming, Peter Carruthers, Scott Hamilton or Sandra Bezic again it will be too soon. Am loving this new threesome for their relevance, their knowledge (and maybe this is where Tara bothers me because she isn't so adept at sorting out the interpretation of the guidelines as Johnny and Tanith are) and the fact that once a skater falls they aren't saying "well that's it for her/him!" This GP season has been enjoyable once they put Peter to bed. I've often wondered why he's been able to parlay this broadcasting into a career.

AlexaD

Rinkside
Tara bringing things back to herself from time to time doesn't surprise me. She mentioned the Detroit Skating Club on Sunday and referenced herself.

Johnny is great, I am enjoying him more and more each week!

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I haven't finished watching the TEB coverage from Universal Sports on my DVR yet, but of what I've seen, Ryan Bradley is pretty good. He's no Tanith, but who is?

I still wish they'd get rid of the "Everyman" commentator. By "they," I mean everyone airing figure skating coverage. I do not understand why IceNetwork needs Mike Mancuso to read what the graphics on the screen say. Are they paying him for that?

Anyone paying to watch figure skating coverage on Universal Sports (having already gone to the trouble of switching to DirecTV to do so) or IceNetwork does not need an "Everyman" commentator. I don't need someone to tell me once again that Florent Amodio was born on the streets of Brazil but adopted by a loving French couple. Or that Max Aaron is -- really -- a tough, heterosexual guy because he started in hockey.

Would any sports programming executive ever think, "Hey, let's make sure that we include among the commentators for the big football game this weekend someone who knows absolutely nothing about the sport, so that they can ask ignorant questions the whole time? The audience at home will love that!"

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Uhhh Anyone remember Howard Cosell? Monday night football?

They do it all the time.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Howard was entertaining which is why he made it big as a broadcaster and became a legend. Someone like Mike Mancuso is like a stump considering he adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast except state the obvious.

RobinA

On the Ice
Love Johnny as a commentator. He says interesting things, doesn't gush but isn't mean. He says insightful things. And...he doesn't blab over the performance. I was watching a YouTube of Michelle skating the East of Eden short last night (one of my favorite programs ever) and I noticed the constant blah, blah, blah while she was skating. How can you TALK over a perfect rendition of that program????

Tara is neither here nor there for me. I don't think she is into the finer points of skating the way Johnny is, so she's just a voice to me. A better voice than Sandra Bezic, who is fingernails on chalkboard to me.

I like Peter and I always will. I haven't heard him this year, as I haven't seen any Pairs on TV. I think he cares a good deal about skating and I've seen him interacting with fans and he is extremely nice and not above it all. I will never forget at Pittsburgh Skate America (I was there) when Totimanyanova (sp) did that head plant into the ice from a lasso lift and he just sat there overcome in the booth with his head in his hands. Kinda the way we all felt at that moment when it was possible that we had just seen some die. God, that was awful.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love Johnny as a commentator. He says interesting things, doesn't gush but isn't mean. He says insightful things. And...he doesn't blab over the performance. I was watching a YouTube of Michelle skating the East of Eden short last night (one of my favorite programs ever) and I noticed the constant blah, blah, blah while she was skating. How can you TALK over a perfect rendition of that program????

I like Peter and I always will. I haven't heard him this year, as I haven't seen any Pairs on TV. I think he cares a good deal about skating and I've seen him interacting with fans and he is extremely nice and not above it all. I will never forget at Pittsburgh Skate America (I was there) when Totimanyanova (sp) did that head plant into the ice from a lasso lift and he just sat there overcome in the booth with his head in his hands. Kinda the way we all felt at that moment when it was possible that we had just seen some die. God, that was awful.

I don't understand all the animosity towards Peter, either. I don't mind him as a commentator @ all, and feel he is really knowledgeable particularly about pairs. A few years ago, he did those post skate interviews with the skaters, and those must have been awkward for him (I'm betting he was told to ask questions like those). We got to meet him in Greensboro 2011, and talk to him following an icenetwork Q&A with Tonia Kwiatkowski & him. He was a total gentleman.