Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Johnny, Tanith and Tara

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    I haven't finished watching the TEB coverage from Universal Sports on my DVR yet, but of what I've seen, Ryan Bradley is pretty good. He's no Tanith, but who is?

I still wish they'd get rid of the "Everyman" commentator. By "they," I mean everyone airing figure skating coverage. I do not understand why IceNetwork needs Mike Mancuso to read what the graphics on the screen say. Are they paying him for that?

Anyone paying to watch figure skating coverage on Universal Sports (having already gone to the trouble of switching to DirecTV to do so) or IceNetwork does not need an "Everyman" commentator. I don't need someone to tell me once again that Florent Amodio was born on the streets of Brazil but adopted by a loving French couple. Or that Max Aaron is -- really -- a tough, heterosexual guy because he started in hockey.

Would any sports programming executive ever think, "Hey, let's make sure that we include among the commentators for the big football game this weekend someone who knows absolutely nothing about the sport, so that they can ask ignorant questions the whole time? The audience at home will love that!"

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Uhhh Anyone remember Howard Cosell? Monday night football?

They do it all the time.

Custom Title
    Howard was entertaining which is why he made it big as a broadcaster and became a legend. Someone like Mike Mancuso is like a stump considering he adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast except state the obvious.

Custom Title
    Love Johnny as a commentator. He says interesting things, doesn't gush but isn't mean. He says insightful things. And...he doesn't blab over the performance. I was watching a YouTube of Michelle skating the East of Eden short last night (one of my favorite programs ever) and I noticed the constant blah, blah, blah while she was skating. How can you TALK over a perfect rendition of that program????

Tara is neither here nor there for me. I don't think she is into the finer points of skating the way Johnny is, so she's just a voice to me. A better voice than Sandra Bezic, who is fingernails on chalkboard to me.

I like Peter and I always will. I haven't heard him this year, as I haven't seen any Pairs on TV. I think he cares a good deal about skating and I've seen him interacting with fans and he is extremely nice and not above it all. I will never forget at Pittsburgh Skate America (I was there) when Totimanyanova (sp) did that head plant into the ice from a lasso lift and he just sat there overcome in the booth with his head in his hands. Kinda the way we all felt at that moment when it was possible that we had just seen some die. God, that was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    Love Johnny as a commentator. He says interesting things, doesn't gush but isn't mean. He says insightful things. And...he doesn't blab over the performance. I was watching a YouTube of Michelle skating the East of Eden short last night (one of my favorite programs ever) and I noticed the constant blah, blah, blah while she was skating. How can you TALK over a perfect rendition of that program????

I like Peter and I always will. I haven't heard him this year, as I haven't seen any Pairs on TV. I think he cares a good deal about skating and I've seen him interacting with fans and he is extremely nice and not above it all. I will never forget at Pittsburgh Skate America (I was there) when Totimanyanova (sp) did that head plant into the ice from a lasso lift and he just sat there overcome in the booth with his head in his hands. Kinda the way we all felt at that moment when it was possible that we had just seen some die. God, that was awful.
    I don't understand all the animosity towards Peter, either. I don't mind him as a commentator @ all, and feel he is really knowledgeable particularly about pairs. A few years ago, he did those post skate interviews with the skaters, and those must have been awkward for him (I'm betting he was told to ask questions like those). We got to meet him in Greensboro 2011, and talk to him following an icenetwork Q&A with Tonia Kwiatkowski & him. He was a total gentleman.

Custom Title
    Well I've been complaining about Peter since Skate America. I'm sure he is still very knowledgeable about pairs but he talks tooooooo much, doens't have much content in what he's saying, and it didn't appear to me that he knows all that much about the new scoring system. I'm sure he's a very nice person and cares alot about skating but I put him in the same category with Scott, Dick, Peggy and Sandra. Move over and let the more knowledgeable recent skaters move in. Ryan has been very good the past two weeks. He was particularly interesting when he was pointing out how or why a skater missed a jump. He caught the little nuances, a lowered shoulder, a toe pick down, etc. that I found fascinating. He picked up on slower spins, etc.

I don't feel animosity toward Peter - just don't want to have to listen to him rattle on about little or nothing while a skater is doing their program. Ryan has been much more to the point.

Rinkside
    It's amazing how all of us, without exception, want new commentators. I've been so impressed with these three I've tried twice already to write to NBC to express my opinion. Of course, I got no response. I just hope someone is reading this thread from NBC. And let's not forget how much better Terry Gannon is than "Grandpa" Hammond! I can only hope something happens before the Olympics!

Banned
    I wish I could travel around the world and say things like "That program will be impossible to beat." Can you imagine getting paid to celebrate or criticize someone landing a triple loop?!!! Those figure skating commentators have lucked out for real!

Custom Title
    Whenever I feel too much animosity at commentators, I just think about this video and suddenly I don't feel so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da8HEwnKBu8

Or I watch figure skating on mute. I've actually done that a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by ray94611 View Post
    I've been so impressed with these three I've tried twice already to write to NBC to express my opinion. Of course, I got no response. I just hope someone is reading this thread from NBC. And let's not forget how much better Terry Gannon is than "Grandpa" Hammond! I can only hope something happens before the Olympics!
    Terry Gannon makes my day! I him, and hope NBC keeps him on the team!

I don't object to Peter too much altho I do think he sounds a little bored or distracted? this year. Love Johnny, Tanith & Ryan tho. Tara...I'm so-so about.

On the Ice
    The commentators don't "travel around the world" to the venues. They sit in a studio control room somewhere in the US (probably NYC since it's NBC) and observe the skating. There's been a question of whether or not they do it live. A few weeks back on Universal, Peter C. had his mic open and prior to commentating on Tatiana and Maxim's skate he asked, "Did they make any mistakes?" Obviously in this case, the Russian team had already skated.

Johnny was great on NBC's broadcast of Rostelecom cup just now.

Quote Originally Posted by bump View Post
    I wish I could travel around the world and say things like "That program will be impossible to beat." Can you imagine getting paid to celebrate or criticize someone landing a triple loop?!!! Those figure skating commentators have lucked out for real!
    It does sound like fun! You should apply for the job.

Custom Title
    I didn't like Johnny's response, in whuch he blames the anti-gay propaganda law / Olympics issue on the Western media. If it wasn't for the pressure of the Western media, Putin's assurances of non-enforcement during the games would have never even made.

With friends like him, the gay Russian community doesn't need any enemies.

^ I think there are two separate questions. First, was it ever Russia's intent to use the "propaganda" laws to harass Olympic athletes. Second, how can we use the Olympic games to call attention to rights abuses in Russia.

Johnny followed the party line, the line of the IOC, etc., in saying emphatically that the answer to the first question is "no." By saying this over and over, people hope that the second question will be forgotten.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast