Johnny, Tanith and Tara | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Johnny, Tanith and Tara

noskates

Record Breaker
What Johnny does or hasn't done in his personal life is of no interest to me. I very simply loved his skating and I'm enjoying his commentary. He's made very few references to his own skating and mostly when asked a direct question. He's compassionate with the skaters, no matter what country they're representing, and he's made watching the GPs more interesting than ever. His knowledge of the IJS certainly surpasses Tara's (who never skated under it) I would be happy with Johnny, Ryan and Tanith but somehow don't think I'll get a vote ;)

ray94611

Rinkside
I respectfully disagree that the Olympics is free of all politics. Thereto, I will refer you to this article on the 1936 Olympics:

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/triumph/tr-olympics.htm

The following excerpt is particularly chilling:

The U.S. Olympic team turned out to be its biggest ever with 312 athletes including nineteen African Americans and five Jews. The Nazis had given repeated assurances to the International Olympic Committee that black athletes would be treated well in Germany. The Nazis also reluctantly agreed to let foreign Jews participate.

So, the playbook is the same. Replace Jew with Gay and Germany with Russia, and you have 1936 Olympics Redux.

Johnny is a brilliant skater, but he is quite naive when it comes to world politics and current events. As an example, he didn't even vote in the last presidential election because he felt it didn't affect him. Never mind that he benefited from the gay marriage legislation that's been promulgated by the Obama administration. Johnny wants the freedom to sashay around in his fur coats with Victor on his arm, but he's unwilling to care about the global gay community, or even the preservation of his own rights. Finally, please don't give him any kudos for coming out; he only did so after the 2010 Olympics and just in time to promote his silly memoir.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I think he was saying the Olympics SHOULD BE free of politics and I agree with that. I understand that the Olympics are not and that they never have been, but Johnny - and Tara - have a right to want to focus the attention on the athletes and the competition instead of the issues. And don't forget what Jessie Owens did at the 36 Olympics - his success was more effective than any protest could have been.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I respectfully disagree that the Olympics is free of all politics.

I respectfully agree with you, Sjs5572! (But I'm not going to say more. Any more controversial and this thread will get disappeared to the Politics forum. Tee-hee.)

Ryan Bradley is proving really talented. He has a terrific television voice. His commentary is fairly intelligent. I'd say he is already better than Johnny and Tara.

I'm sure Peter Carruthers is a nice person. But his talent is not televised commentary on figure skating. He really wants to be good at extemporaneous speaking, but he is not good at it, and he tries too hard. His trying-too-hard is the problem.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Love Johnny and Tara as commentators. I won't miss Hamilton/Bezic. I WILL miss Uncle Dick though. I always loved his style.

I respectfully disagree that the Olympics is free of all politics. Thereto, I will refer you to this article on the 1936 Olympics:

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/triumph/tr-olympics.htm

The following excerpt is particularly chilling:

The U.S. Olympic team turned out to be its biggest ever with 312 athletes including nineteen African Americans and five Jews. The Nazis had given repeated assurances to the International Olympic Committee that black athletes would be treated well in Germany. The Nazis also reluctantly agreed to let foreign Jews participate.

So, the playbook is the same. Replace Jew with Gay and Germany with Russia, and you have 1936 Olympics Redux.

Johnny is a brilliant skater, but he is quite naive when it comes to world politics and current events. As an example, he didn't even vote in the last presidential election because he felt it didn't affect him. Never mind that he benefited from the gay marriage legislation that's been promulgated by the Obama administration. Johnny wants the freedom to sashay around in his fur coats with Victor on his arm, but he's unwilling to care about the global gay community, or even the preservation of his own rights. Finally, please don't give him any kudos for coming out; he only did so after the 2010 Olympics and just in time to promote his silly memoir.

It's true that politics has interfered with the Olympic spirit. Too many times. To the point of murder (the Israeli athletes who were massacred by Palestinian terrorists, Munich Summer Olympics 1972). Then there are the dumb boycotts. The worst examples being 1980-1984 which only hurt the boycotting countries athletes. And each of those boycotts ended up proving nothing but how shameless and thoughtless the powerful are. I hate when that happens each and every time and I certainly don't want the Sochi Olympics tainted by protests, etc. The athletes worked too damn hard all of their lives for this one brief moment, all of 2 weeks for someone with an agenda to come along and spoil the party. I agree with Johnny. Like I said, the Olympics is just for 2 weeks. And quite frankly I don't think the majority of the world is going to care about anything except the athletes and the competition.

And I think how Johnny chooses to conduct his life is his own affair. It doesn't affect me personally. I'll always love his skating. I don't have to love or like what he does or doesn't do off the ice - which is true of most celebrities when it comes to their private lives. I don't expect them to be heroes or above human frailty or ignorance. If Johnny won't come out strong against the Russians and their bigotted laws so be it. If Johnny chose to come out to sell a book whatever. Others have done the same if not worst. MacKenzie Phillips did the same when she chose to reveal alleged sexual abuse by her dad - just in time to sell her book. I don't have to respect what such celebrities do but I don't let it affect me either. I look closer to home if I want to look up to someone - like my mom.

Finally, please don't tell others what they should or shouldn't give Johnny. I DO give him kudos for coming out. He chose to do it his way and make a buck at the same time. Again - it doesn't affect me nor impact my life in any way, shape, or form. More power to him. Whatever. I still love him.

I'd be happy with Ryan Bradley (handling men's, pairs and possibly ladies) along with Tanith handling ice dance (with Judy Blumberg if possible). Tara and Johnny IMO are very into themselves. I especially do not need all the fabulous info' re: the amazing coaching/training programs in Russia.

Here's where I'm different. I love all of those little extras that Tara and Johnny throw in - like the training programs in Russia. And oh yes, the costumes. I love the costume critiques.

I don't have a problem when former elite athletes like Tara reference themselves. Tara was trying to make a point and I happen to agree with her. She made sure to have a 3-3 against the likes of Michelle Kwan (a HUGE compliment to Kwan btw). Ando doesn't stand a prayer in this day and age of winning a title or beating any of the top tier skaters without a 3-3 imo.

And I've always liked Peter Carutthers. I've enjoyed his commentary.

What Johnny does or hasn't done in his personal life is of no interest to me. I very simply loved his skating and I'm enjoying his commentary. He's made very few references to his own skating and mostly when asked a direct question. He's compassionate with the skaters, no matter what country they're representing, and he's made watching the GPs more interesting than ever. His knowledge of the IJS certainly surpasses Tara's (who never skated under it) I would be happy with Johnny, Ryan and Tanith but somehow don't think I'll get a vote ;)

^^^
THIS!

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I agree with noskates and Sasha's spins. I am glad that Johnny has toned down his over-the-top (but fun) personality to give knowledgable commentary. After all, he has to make a living, since pro skating is just not there in the US.

Hope he puts together a few shows of his own!

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I agree with noskates and Sasha's spins. I am glad that Johnny has toned down his over-the-top (but fun) personality to give knowledgable commentary. After all, he has to make a living, since pro skating is just not there in the US.

Hope he puts together a few shows of his own!

I used to be Johnny's biggest fan, but I have been disappointed by his misguided and quite frankly, confused stance on geopolitical issues and gay rights. He worships Russia, and ignores any chance to make a difference in his own backyard. He doesn't have to be politically active and correct, but at the same time, I have a right to register my disappointment.

Furthermore, Johnny's September 17th interview, in which he deceptively talks about qualifying for Sochi (more than two weeks after the regionals application deadline), did not enhance my appreciation for him.
I am still waiting for "my story," which he promised on Twitter after this deception was exposed by Sports Illustrated.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
yes, he's imperfect. I am also irritated by his stance on fur -- no doubt unduly influenced by Tarasova in his formative years!

coppertop1

On the Ice
I'm Canadian.
I haven't heard Tanith commentate, but seeing as she knows the IJS system it's not surprising she's good at commentating. I do like Tara and Johnny, they both seem fair, and Terry never bothered me much. I was never a fan of Dick Button and Peggy Fleming, they both always seemed so biased towards their own, constantly comparing everyone (and usually not in a favourable way) to everything the Americans did, especially Michelle Kwan. I did feel Scotty and Sandra were guilty of the same thing, I felt they downplayed Daisuke Takahashi's perforamcne in VAncouver to make it sound like Johnny was more of a contender than he was, Scotty did the same with Alexei Yagudin in 2002, to make it sound like he may lose the long program to Tim Goebel. Will Terry, Johnny, Tara and Tanith be commenting in NBC for the Olympics?

I agree about knowing the system, so many of the former American commentators seemed stuck on the 6.0 system and that it was better. Sounds like some nostalgia and ignoring politics of the 6.0 system. Johnny and Tanith competed under it and Tanith most of her success with it, and Tara seems to have learned about it enough to be a good commentator.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
yes, he's imperfect. I am also irritated by his stance on fur -- no doubt unduly influenced by Tarasova in his formative years!

I like Johnny's commentary but he does disappoint me on these issues. Gay USA (television weekly) pointed out his lack of comment of Russia's anti-gay policies. He did show some character (IMHO) when he refused to go to the Bush White House though. Still I think this new trio (TT&J) is a really good one.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't know about the Bush White House thing; do tell!

I think he's been invited to be in Plushenko's skating show in Russia this spring, so I guess he doesn't want to further infuriate authorities. Again, he has to make a living, and he is quite popular over there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
...Will Terry, Johnny, Tara and Tanith be commenting in NBC for the Olympics? ...

A link to the NBC press release spelling out Weir/Lipinski's Sochi responsibilities (and Belbin's, which are different) was in a previous thread.

(Long story short, the NBC/Sochi roles of Weir and Lipinski are one notch above Belbin's. It's just as well, IMHO -- as long as White is competing, I feel strongly that Belbin should recuse herself from ice dance commentary. YMMV.)

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I used to be Johnny's biggest fan, but I have been disappointed by his misguided and quite frankly, confused stance on geopolitical issues and gay rights. He worships Russia, and ignores any chance to make a difference in his own backyard. He doesn't have to be politically active and correct, but at the same time, I have a right to register my disappointment.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Marisha92

Rinkside
I love Johnny's commentating!!! It's funny, accurate and refreshing and it seems like he and Tara work really well together. And for the first time in the history of American figure skating commentating, there is someone that actually pronounces the Russian names correctly. For a Russian-American like me, it's music to my ears! I've been cringing for decades listing to pretty much every Russian first and last name being butchered by everyone. Go Johnny!!!

meem

On the Ice

Furthermore, Johnny's September 17th interview, in which he deceptively talks about qualifying for Sochi (more than two weeks after the regionals application deadline), did not enhance my appreciation for him.
I am still waiting for "my story," which he promised on Twitter after this deception was exposed by Sports Illustrated.

Well, I sure can't add to this quote...it says it all IMO. I just don't get all the admiration for Johnny Weir as a commentator. IMO he's certainly no Dick Button (a commentator who for many years educated our country re: the incredible sport of figure skating; plus, unlike Dick, JW never got on the Olympic podium). And JW's strange obsession with anything Russian is still irritating. Give me Paul Wylie, Susie Wynn, Judy Blumberg and in nonicedance events, Tanith B. And, heck...why can't we get another former competitive pairs skater to handle pairs? What's wrong with Tai? Randy? They know as much about IJS as Peter.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't know about the Bush White House thing; do tell!

I think he's been invited to be in Plushenko's skating show in Russia this spring, so I guess he doesn't want to further infuriate authorities. Again, he has to make a living, and he is quite popular over there.

Kitt, Johnny was invited to the Bush White House and refused to go citing his disagreement with that administration's policies especially the wars. Michelle Kwan was critical of JW's decision, I remember reading, but he stuck to his guns (no ironic pun intended).

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Kitt, Johnny was invited to the Bush White House and refused to go citing his disagreement with that administration's policies especially the wars. Michelle Kwan was critical of JW's decision, I remember reading, but he stuck to his guns (no ironic pun intended).

haha, good for Johnny!

Art&Sport

Medalist
I think Johnny is doing a great job commentating. He's proven before that he's very good at it. Tara has room for improvement -- she sometimes says contradictory things, and can also be a bit superficial in her comments, but she's not all bad. Working for a network that truthfully doesn't really understand a great deal about figure skating has its challenges I'm sure. Figure skating has a lot of inherent problems with promoting what's great about it to the general public when the jumps, blade work, skating skills, and the scoring are not easy to understand for casual fans, and even a lot of times for diehard fans. There's something about the sport that keeps me interested -- it goes beyond jumps to the creative expression, the musical interpretation, athletic complexity combined with choreographic art and the feeling of flight. There's so much about the unique personalities in the sport that hasn't been tapped or promoted either.

Re some of the earlier comments about Johnny's stance on gay issues: I believe he has spoken previously about his conflicted emotions on the subject of anti-gay laws in Russia (in addition to speaking about some problems he had in Russia of a discriminatory nature during one of his visits, altho' he is generally beloved by the Russian people as a skating artist/athlete). As far as the Olympics, I feel Johnny is right to hold his own opinions about not wanting the Olympics itself to be tainted by the problematic views / legislation of the Russian government.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Johnny is speaking at Barnard College (sister college of Columbia University) on Mon Dec 2 (tomorrow) and there will be a protest against his silence on the issue. The protest will be at 117th and Broadway at 5:30.
Johnny is very capable of being political when he wants to be. The LGBT community is being treated viciously now in Russia. The protest is to urge him to say something.

noskates

Record Breaker
I probably shouldn't comment because this makes me so irritated. WHY does every gay man or woman have to speak out and/or support the gay rights movement? And as I've said before, I take Johnny for what I see - I think he's an excellent commentator. Could care less what he does in his personal life or what he wears. Not everything is a statement or a political beehive or must be said or done. Why can't people just enjoy the skating aspect of his life and leave the rest out of it? I don't get the need for Johnny to say something about Russia's treatment of the LGBT. He's a figure skater and a commentator and a US citizen - not a politician! He's just landed a very good job that could keep him employed for some time and you expect him to risk it by going all political? There are many gay actors and actresses, singers, Broadway stars, dance celebrities that are gay and are not expected to put their livelihood on the line.

As for Dick Button - to each his own. I thought he was hyper-critical, steeped in the far past, and the minute a skater bobbled he had them done for the event. It was so depressing to listen to him in the later years (especially the Olympics) that I even wrote to the network several times and asked that they find someone else. Any person in this day and age that thinks a beautiful spiral is more important than a triple axel needs to retire!!!

I hope we keep this set of commentators for some time. They're interesting, knowledgeable and enhance the enjoyment of the competition.

But like I said - to each his own!

coppertop1

On the Ice
As for Dick Button - to each his own. I thought he was hyper-critical, steeped in the far past, and the minute a skater bobbled he had them done for the event. It was so depressing to listen to him in the later years (especially the Olympics) that I even wrote to the network several times and asked that they find someone else. Any person in this day and age that thinks a beautiful spiral is more important than a triple axel needs to retire!!!

I hope we keep this set of commentators for some time. They're interesting, knowledgeable and enhance the enjoyment of the competition.

But like I said - to each his own!

Agreed about Dick! If you were American, he loved you, if not he'd find something to harp on. He tended to dwell the same things all the time. Not everyone has Sasha's flexibility (and Sasha had her flaws, too). There's more than one style of skating, and I like athletic powerhouses just as much as balletic skaters. It's time for some fresh perspective, and I think Johnny, Tanith and Tara are great. With Dick it wasn't what he said that bugged me it was how he said it. You can say a skater needs to improve their presentation without being so negative.