How does the selection process for Olympic spots in U.S.A. work? in Japan? | Golden Skate

How does the selection process for Olympic spots in U.S.A. work? in Japan?

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Officially, chapis is incorrect about how it's chosen for the US, though typically it is the case. The top skaters after nationals go to Worlds/Olympics. However the writing in the "rules" state that only the champion is assured a spot on the team from Nationals, and a skater's record is also in consideration for the other spots on the team.

I believe it's similar in Japan, but I could be wrong.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Officially, chapis is incorrect about how it's chosen for the US, though typically it is the case. The top skaters after nationals go to Worlds/Olympics. However the writing in the "rules" state that only the champion is assured a spot on the team from Nationals, and a skater's record is also in consideration for the other spots on the team.

What we see typically is that the top 2/3 go unless someone extremely talented gets a medical bye (Kerrigan, Kwan, etc.). This year, I think only Davis and White and possibly Ashley Wagner stand out enough that they could get on with a medical bye if needed. Everyone else will have to place high enough at Nationals.

Coriana

On the Ice
Japan includes the winner of the Nationals AND then the highest score /place in the Grand Prix Final.. The third is chosen from the next placement and overall record I think... but I couldn't quite follow the goggle translate of the criteria.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Officially, chapis is incorrect about how it's chosen for the US, though typically it is the case. The top skaters after nationals go to Worlds/Olympics. However the writing in the "rules" state that only the champion is assured a spot on the team from Nationals, and a skater's record is also in consideration for the other spots on the team. ...

US Figure Skating's 21-page document from Sep 2012 re selection of the 2014 Olympic Team does not have any rule that assures the national champion a spot on the team, as far as I can see.
ETA, the rules were amended in Jun 2013, and now are a 73-page PDF: http://www.usfsa.org/content/OlympicSelection.pdf
I believe that I read a while back (sorry I don't remember whether on GS, FSU, or elsewhere) that the absence of such assurance is a new wrinkle in the selection procedure for 2014. I guess USFS wants to retain as much discretion as possible.

hurrah

Medalist
In Japan:

1. Whoever wins Nationals gets to go unequivocally.
2. Out of the 2nd and 3rd place finishers of Nationals and the highest podium winner of GPF, one skater is chosen.
3. Out of those that fulfill the requirements written in no. 2 of this list, as well as through considering ISU ranking and season's best scores, one skater is chosen.

I believe that I read a while back (sorry I don't remember whether on GS, FSU, or elsewhere) that the absence of such assurance is a new wrinkle in the selection procedure for 2014. I guess USFS wants to retain as much discretion as possible.

The reason is that if Nationals were officially designated as the Olympic qualifying event then the USOC could take it over and push USFS aside.

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
In Japan:

1. Whoever wins Nationals gets to go unequivocally.
2. Out of the 2nd and 3rd place finishers of Nationals and the highest podium winner of GPF, one skater is chosen.
3. Out of those that fulfill the requirements written in no. 2 of this list, as well as through considering ISU ranking and season's best scores, one skater is chosen.

Can you clarify or elaborate on 2)?

hurrah

Medalist
Can you clarify or elaborate on 2)?

Say skater A wins GPF with a score like 210, and then come December, she comes down with a flu and places fourth at Nationals, and the 2nd and 3rd place finishers of Nationals scored 170-180, then the skater A would be chosen.
Say there's a skater B that got silver at GPF with a score of 170, and then another skater C that placed 2nd at Nationals with a score of 180, then skater C would be chosen.
Or maybe skater D placed bronze at GPF with a score of 180, and then at Nationals placed 3rd (with a score of 169) below skater E who scored 170, and it's clear that skater D was just having a bad day, then skater D could be chosen. etc.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Thanks hurrah, now I understand why it will be difficult for Miki to make the team if she doesn't win her Nationals. She will not have the highest GPF finish, the highest season's best score, nor the highest ISU ranking.