Who is best Russian lady? | Golden Skate

Who is best Russian lady?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Please explain why you feel thus and who is your favorite girl you hope to see at Sochi?

I can't decide-no favorite-no one like Irina who was so tough for so long-a real legend. Maybe Julia...she grows on me. I wish they had one Volchkova-tall, beautiful jumps-but poor competitor. She was so regal though. ;)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
no one liking the russies tonight? there are 6 or 7 little sprites to wonder about. Maybe we are seeing Ashley/Gracie eclipsed by the juggernaut of jumping beans?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Julia right now is the best. I said that 18 months ago, and I still believe it. Sotnikova and even Tuktamysheva might have at one point anyway held more potential but they still don't have it all together, and Julia is starting to fix some of her weaknesses so even the vague potential theory might not hold true as much anymore.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Even Japan doesn't have whatever is happening training wise in Russia. Are all these girls subsidized? Yelena seems the spitfire now, but only Julia has a tasteful, if too mature program. Anna P is so pretty, she will be a favorite, I think. It is amazing-there used to be two skaters who were in the Mix, Irina/Maria and now, well who even knows who will be dominant in 2018.

It seems there will be a next great Japanese/Russian rivalry-but who? Miyahara vs Julia?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I used to think it was Sotnikova. But now I think Julia has picked up that mantle. I hope to see great things from her in Sochi (she is almost certain to make the team).

hurrah

Medalist
This is such a hard question.
For consistency, Julia is the best, plus she's so bendy, the bendiest figure skater that ever has been, so that really makes her stand out.
For musicality and performance skills, Elena bar none. She is such a delight to watch.
As an overall good skater, Adelina. She's got the talent to become the total package but she's not one yet.
For jumps, Elizaveta.

On the other hand, Julia's jumps are too small for me, Elena is too young anyway to be chosen for Sochi, Adelina has jump issues, and Elizaveta has skating issues.

In the long run, I think Adelina has the most potential. Right now, Julia is the best skater to choose to represent Russia in Sochi.

Personally, I still love Elena the most.

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
This is no question. This is not a serious inquiry. Julia is the only option. Andrei Tarkovsky, notable Russian filmmaker, when asked how he distinguishes a real artist from a mere artisan, he said the artist attains his own will in his creation, but the very best the artisan can do is only to attain his own personality. Julia is a true artist whose movements on the ice are as basic, as beautiful, and as soothing to the eye as the waves of the sea. Of course it is now fashionable among the cognoscenti of figure skating to decry Julia's "lack of growth" or "lack of maturity" (or rather "lack of maturity in expression") or "lack of projection" or "lack of personal experience (off and on the ice)" or, the rather dubious, having as yet garner the full acknowledgement of the judges for her artistry ("Look, even Gracie Gold has better PCS than her!"); because, it seems, Julia doesn't play up to the audience as she "should" do-- as if great artists should absorb (i.e, pander) to their audiences first and not vice versa.

Of course these are the same ones who would prefer the "artistry" of a Yuna Kim or a Carolina Kostner from Italy-- an artistry that is too temporal, too of the moment; therefore, it is easily quantifiable. These artistries induce skating "for the moment", and hardly beyond that. They are all expressive-- a gesture here and there to please and quantify artistic elements. With the latter (Kostner of Italy) in these past couple of long programs emulating the histrionics of a Baiul, imitating one of those ladies of indeterminate age and occupation about whom one cannot quite tell whether she is a wh--- risen to respectability or a socialite flirting with the icy gutter. This kind of artistry is both big (i.e., in the conspicuous sense of the term) and limited enough for quantification-- it is like pantomime, the biggest and the most limited art; it is big because it is the true Esperanto for bridging all times and all space on the ice, it is most limited because its range is restrained by definition: stray just so far from what everybody does and everyone recognizes, and you will be awarded (of course, it takes no account of resonance-- emotional, intellectual, or otherwise). If the common denominator is to be of any use, it must be the most serviceable one. That is their artistry. These kind of skating and skating programs must have felt (or imagined that they felt), in Meredith's words, that

Love that has robbed us of immortal things,
This little moment mercifully gave...

What a concept to construct your artistry by. Edmund Wilson is right when, in speaking of Nabokov's book on Gogol, he tempers his otherwise considerable admiration by pointing to the author's self-indulgence in poses, perversities, and vanities. Such is the blightedness of "artistry" and its components. Julia's skating, specifically these two programs, I will repeat, have this marvelous rightness of tone whom Julia's skating carries its existence on her back. Lesser artists, like Yuna Kim and Kostner and Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva and Radionova, will use coincidence merely to produce a sensational effect which, after all, is quantifiable. But Julia is the best. And she, ultimately, will win.

Barb

Record Breaker
Julia is just copying exactly Sasha`s style , mainly moving her arms in sync with music, she is good but nothing extraordinary , though she is only 15yo so I think she will improve it and I think too she wont grow much more. Right now she is the best in Russia, basically because she is consistent.

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
Julia is just copying exactly Sasha`s style , mainly moving her arms in sync with music, she is good but nothing extraordinary , though she is only 15yo so I think she will improve it and I think too she wont grow much more. Right now she is the best in Russia, basically because she is consistent.

This blurb is very reductive, including the lazy comparison. Generally people's memories are precious to them. Of course even memories have to be worked upon before they can become the basis of an objective construction of the past; and here it is important not to lose the particular emotional atmosphere without which a memory evoked in every detail merely gives rise to a bitter feeling of disappointment of the present. Sasha Cohen's skating, like Takahashi's of Japan, was very precise; but in Cohen's skating when working with emotional resonance, it was somehow too precise, to the point that it felt cold-- her movements were never a complement to the music as Julia's are now. Julia's movements are not in sync with the music, rather they are in sync with the program; in other words, they meld with the program. Cohen was never melder. She was too egotistical as a skater because of her natural abilities. There were moments, of course, when you wanted her to consummate the natural abilities with the resourcefulness of movements. But they pass; only temporary admiration, but the resonance is still left in the cold. Julia is different skater. Julia offers illumination with her movements, Cohen never did that.

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
for me, the best in technique and presentation is Elizaveta, she is so passionate and explosive in FS, I really love it! I think she will be able to solve their problems of inconsistency before Sochi, and demonstrate that only she is the successor of Slutskaya. Adelina is also very beautiful to see, but his technique is awful, I think Julia tabi is good, but it has a unique style and even the expression and Alanza not mature enough, FS is very nice, but his facial expression says nothing , is basically a jump / spiral, jump / spiral, spin / spiral, spiral, spiral, spiral .... I like her, but I think even she can be much better and get to 2018 as a candidate for Olympic gold.
for Sochi Liza and Adelina, or even Liza and Leonova, the best option is Liza

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Obviously at this moment in time Julia. Sotnikova would be the better all around skater if she got her jumps together, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

miki88

Medalist
I still think Adelina is the best all-around skater. She really needs better programs to highlight her strengths. Elena has the most charisma and is the best performer.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think long term Elena probably has the most potential, although Julia is a fighter and will give her a real run for her money in the years leading to the next Olympics. If Adelina and Elizaveta don't make their move very soon, if not next year, than the next year or two for sure, than they are pretty much done as potential future superstars. Could make some future World teams but that is it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Elena R is probably the best. Although Julia is a better jumper, Elena is a better all around performer.

Personally, I enjoy Radionova's skating more. It's not as refined as the others, however, she actually projects her performance, has the hardest jumps, and is exciting to watch. She's my favourite, but I wouldn't consider her the best.

Julia's spins are what do it for me. I'm glad she'll likely go to Sochi, because the world needs to see those surreal spins!

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I like Julia for her super-spins. They make her stand out. Elena starts to grow on me :) She really is a joy to watch. I don't like her shoulders but she'll learn how to relax them, if that's the right word:)
Adelina just uuugh! I think she has the same problem as Gracie, but in bigger sizes: nerves..
Liza never was my favourite girl but this years lp is 1 of the best imo. Her passion is contagious))))))
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut Julia is the best now! I think she has the highest chance to go to Sochi

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
you mean seniors or juniors ?

overall the X factor Julia has it, she doesn't need to make unsual choreography or overemoted poses to draw people in
she has unique style and audience almost always give her standing ovations for her clean skates
Radionova is a good jumper but she is too hyper for me. Sotnikova has inconsistent nerves and bad jump techniques with good projection on the ice. Liza is ok but she needs drastic measure to overcome her weight problems or else her career is heading the Rachael Flatts. Pogorilaya atm is like a better and more consistent Shelepen 2.0

the youngre skaters, I like Sotskova but my concern is she will grow too tall like Polina K.
I am beginning to like Proklova

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Personally, I enjoy Radionova's skating more. It's not as refined as the others, however, she actually projects her performance, has the hardest jumps, and is exciting to watch.

This.

I think she could be the best but her small size and lack of maturity/presence is what's holding her back right now. If I had to pick someone to watch, it'd be Elena b/c I thoroughly enjoy watching her. She radiates happiness and joy when she skates unlike any other Russian lady. You can see/feel how much she loves what she's doing when she's on the ice. It's just a bonus that she has great jumps, skating skills, spins, consistency and focus. She's the total package. All she needs is some time to grow.

Oh great puberty monster, please oh please be kind to my little Elena! :bow: