Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Who is best Russian lady?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I have never heard of this beatles song?????
    It is not very good, but it does its job: it brings to mind Julia and her skating.

Custom Title
    Julia Lipnitskaia: she is the most consistent at delivering a clean program and has the artistry with her skating. She has survived at least 1 round of puberty issues from the end of last season and she arguably has come back better. I don't see puberty affecting her as much as Elena Radionova, Julia's flexibility doesn't seem to be a result of her young size @ 2012 Jr. Worlds it was said she stretches like 45 minutes a day. She might not have the biggest jumps but they are easily the most reliable and consistent jumps.

Elena Radionova: she's fun to watch, but she's 14 and I want to see what she does after puberty

adelina sotnikova: She is too inconsistent and (don't know how much of this is her fault or her coach/costume designer but..) her costumes are inappropriate- that long program dress from Cup of China was ugh. I know much to do with skating ability, but figure skating is the whole package- the music, choreography, dress, and the skaters ability.

elizaveta tuktamysheva: from her skating hasn't progressed too much from the beginning of her senior career to now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I have never heard of this beatles song?????
    I think it's from the White Album. It's John Lennon's song to his mother, who died when he was about eighteen. As you can imagine, her death was a terrible event that almost derailed John. I believe I once read that the line "Ocean child calls me" refers to Yoko Ono. I gather that one of many possible meanings for the name is something like "ocean child," though I'm sure it could be disputed.

It's not one of the Beatles' most immortal songs, but it has a dreamlike quality and is very heartfelt.

Thanks Olympia and maybe I'll find it on Youtube?

On the Ice
    Elena is not only super talent she is super cute! Julia is my top Olympic pick!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    elizaveta tuktamysheva: from her skating hasn't progressed too much from the beginning of her senior career to now.
    Actually, I would say it went downhill. At the beginning of her senior career she was winning GP events and was much more consistent. That's what is missing now.

Custom Title
    Radionova looks likea future female Plushenko, there's so much charisma and character to her skating, her unique style would acquire its own name. Yes, she's young, gangly, but there's no mistaking her striking presence,moves, expressions, and she'sonly 14!

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    By far, Elena is the best performer of all of the Russian ladies. I'd put Adelina as second best performer, then Liza T, then Julia. Julia has improved since last year (thanks to some much more musical choreography) but she still doesn't bring the music to life for me. She doesn't project that well when she skates, but she's getting better. At this rate of improvement, by the time she hits 17 or 18 she should be very good at interpreting music and performing...I just think she's behind the other ladies right now.

But at this point, I'm thinking as long as Julia is healthy she is the 100% best choice for Sochi. If Elena were eligible, she'd be #2.

Adelina is an amazing skater (presence, skating skills, spins, lines, presentation, etc.) but her strategy for winning is very flawed. That 3F is a coin toss every time and yet she insists on using it in both programs and twice in the FS. It's very stupid and cost her the gold medal at COC. If she'd replace that second 3F with a 3L combo, she'd be in much better shape. Easier content done well scores better than a failed attempt at something harder. Cleaner skate = Higher PCS = greater chance at medaling/winning. I don't understand why she and her team don't get that...

Liza T is a great technician but you can tell her confidence is very low. She always looks tentative in the SP and then in the FS, when she's low in the standings, she finally fights back b/c she has nothing to lose. Liza has to find a way to bring that confidence to her SP. She lacks the presence, line, and wow! factor that some of the others have but she has great technique, difficult combinations and a real spark when she performs. She can make up what she lacks in PCS in TES. Liza just needs to believe in herself more.

Anna Pogorilaya is the darkhorse. She has the jumps and high level elements but lacks the polish of some of the others. She'll probably need others to make mistakes in order to win but as long as that focus and consistency remains, she'll always be a very dangerous threat and will put a lot of pressure on the other girls to perform.

Nationals are going to be brutal this year!

Quote Originally Posted by icedinn View Post
    Serafima Sakhanovich.
    She is a gem. Hope her growth is kind to her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyskates View Post
    Radionova looks likea future female Plushenko, there's so much charisma and character to her skating, her unique style would acquire its own name. Yes, she's young, gangly, but there's no mistaking her striking presence,moves, expressions, and she'sonly 14!
    My hesitation with saying she is the best or in for heavy consideration, because she is 14, she hasn't gone a round of puberty. She may surprise me though, everyone was questioning what she we do once she grew- and she came back better.

Banned
    I think Sotnikova is pushing herself hard as she wants to be able to compete with a clean Kim or Asada, and that is why she is trying more jumps and combinations, some which are probably beyond her at this point. She should scale back and focus on what gives her the best chance to even make the Russian Olympic team (which she is far from a lock for right now) at this point.

Custom Title
    Agreed. But Sochi is a few months away, and not long after Russian Nationals. I don't see a huge issue in her attempting higher difficulty, and commend her for it... even if playing it safe seems to be the more viable option.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Agreed. But Sochi is a few months away, and not long after Russian Nationals. I don't see a huge issue in her attempting higher difficulty, and commend her for it... even if playing it safe seems to be the more viable option.
    I commend her for pushing the envelope but it's not like it's getting her anywhere, particularly in the FS. Having two 3Fs in the program is basically like shooting herself in the foot. The jumps is very unstable and I can't recall the last time she landed both attempts in a program. It's just smarter for her to go the easier route for now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    My hesitation with saying she is the best or in for heavy consideration, because she is 14, she hasn't gone a round of puberty. She may surprise me though, everyone was questioning what she we do once she grew- and she came back better.
    True, true, but I have a hunch she'll survive...she's lanky, as is Plushenko, growing taller might not affect her skating if her flexibility remains. What I like most about her is how different she is from the skating swans, as some have noted, a lack of that balletic grace. She is all angles, pinched shoulders and "neckless", instead of the preferred softly sweeping curved limbs, hers seem to unfurl in endless tiny motions, but with such fascinating grace and expression, more akin to a ballroom dancer's than a ballerina's.

If he wasn't banned, AUDIT will probably deliver the verbal b*tchslap, but I will say I find Julia's skating though extraordinarily strong, rather prissy, precious and seem more like those " studiedly deep", "tugging at heartstrings", "chalking up PCS points" performances that most skating champions regularly do than genuinely skating her heart out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I commend her for pushing the envelope but it's not like it's getting her anywhere, particularly in the FS. Having two 3Fs in the program is basically like shooting herself in the foot. The jumps is very unstable and I can't recall the last time she landed both attempts in a program. It's just smarter for her to go the easier route for now.
    I know her two 3Fs have been giving her issues, but she's made errors on all 5 triples in some way shape or form. It's hard to say that a 3S would be any kinder to her. At least a 3F with -GOE still gets fairly comparable points to a 3S. She's clearly capable of landing her 3F, she just needs the focus. I'm assuming in her FS she's still able to do both flips in practice, even if they haven't been kind to her in competition.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast