Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Carelessness in doesn't make something insincere.

Geez, I would hate for your friend to text you, "Great to see u!" You'd probably respond, "Actually, it's 'Great to see you'. Please be more careful with your text messages next time."

Social media is no place for a grammar nazi, so cut her some slack. Not everyone proofreads their tweets. And not everyone has impeccable speling and punctuation, ;)
Also it's possible that autocorrect/Swype changed it and she missed it in her apology tweet.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also it's possible that autocorrect/Swype changed it and she missed it in her apology tweet.

That's the first thing I was going to mention -- an iPhone autocorrects it's to its all the time -- although I dismissed it because the response probably would have been "Well, she should have proofread it".

Here's what quite possibly went through her mind: "Does is say what I want to say? Yep. Are there any major errors that might make the tweet have an incorrect or ambiguous meaning? Nope. Am I going to bother scrolling/deleting a portion of my tweet that I've already typed out, simply to change its to it's? Meh, people won't care."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
There you go being all practical and understanding again. Geez, where's your bloodlust!

mskater93

Record Breaker
She's an 18 year old girl who made a mistake. She's book smart (saw her HS transcripts on the boards a couple times) but not worldly and didn't handle the initial post well nor the apology. If she learns a valuable lesson, hooray!

tulosai

Record Breaker
The problem is, your big words are unnecessary and confusing (particularly when you string them together) on an internet forum.

This isn't some haughty soiree where you need to use big words and exhibit how cultured you are for people to actually care about what you have to say. When posts aren't concise and sparse, people won't bother reading them. And your apparent superiority complex (I mean, how dare people be cultured in things other than yourself, and how dare they speak concisely!) will only alienate them further.

Do you actually speak with people in Texas the way you write posts on this forum? I can picture you in a grocery store... "I beseech you to guide me to a compartment wherein dairy products are stored, such that I may extract one for purchase thereafter?" instead of simply saying, "Where's the milk?"

Big words don't make you smart. Saying something smart, in a clear and concise way, makes you smart. The formal nature of literature and embellishing your posts with big words isn't meant for a colloquial place like the internet.

:rock:

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Definitely. I've had the strangest auto-corrections that have allowed me to make a complete and utter fool of myself. My phone often tries to correct words that are already correct! No, phone, I am sure that I want to say "ear piercing", not "war piercing"!

I'm not a master of the English language myself (no way!), but it's still a little disconcerting to see the usage of apostrophes when all you really need is the letter "s" in the end (e.g. "Party's are so fun!"). And then when someone tries to correct them, the OP calls the correcter out for being stupid and uneducated "because there's supposed to be an apostrophe there because it's plural!"

Like, what?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I did not see her remark as a racist one at all, but generally it is wise not to make fun of anyone´s lacking English pronunciation. If a person speaks or writes English wrongly, it just means that she/he speaks some other language(s) better.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Bottom line: definitely agree with your conclusion of "be careful what you post."

No kidding.

Don't get me started on the misery that autocorrect causes :rofl: It is particularly annoying with any acronyms, or with nicknames like "Dai."

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
The problem is, your big words are unnecessary and confusing (particularly when you string them together) on an internet forum.

This isn't some haughty soiree where you need to use big words and exhibit how cultured you are for people to actually care about what you have to say. When posts aren't concise and sparse, people won't bother reading them. And your apparent superiority complex (I mean, how dare people be cultured in things other than yourself, and how dare they speak concisely!) will only alienate them further.

Do you actually speak with people in Texas the way you write posts on this forum? I can picture you in a grocery store... "I beseech you to guide me to a compartment wherein dairy products are stored, such that I may extract one for purchase thereafter?" instead of simply saying, "Where's the milk?"

Big words don't make you smart. Saying something smart, in a clear and concise way, makes you smart. The formal nature of literature and embellishing your posts with big words isn't meant for a colloquial place like the internet.

No no, I am not smart because I used big words, I am smart because big words come to me. Anything cultured of me comes more from within, than without.

louisa05

Final Flight
She's an 18 year old girl who made a mistake. She's book smart (saw her HS transcripts on the boards a couple times) but not worldly and didn't handle the initial post well nor the apology. If she learns a valuable lesson, hooray!

Uh, what? Why is she carrying her transcripts around for random people to see? Who does that?

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
Neutering your thoughts or tempering your enjoyment isn't necessary. If you have something inappropriate or potentially offensive that you want to laugh about with someone, tweet it to that someone instead of everyone. Problem solved, no loss in enjoyment or limiting of your thoughts.

Being aware and diligent of your own douchery, as the American kids would say, somehow makes you more palatable to yourself, let alone others? Oh I get it, to sustain the afflicted bon homme life, lest, God forbid, others should find out an evil person you have the potential to be! Well, there was at least three times a day a character in authority comes into my conscience it relays to me the following "May I remind you that you are under oath," which was nice, because I often forget the emotions I'm supposed to be feeling and that extra help helps. And that was before I converted to Catholicism!

Love how your "Problem solved" attempts to cut off discourse though, cute.

"something inappropriate or potentially offensive..." That is a big gray area; in fact with no lucid boundaries and barriers. Not to get all legalese on you, but that is why I said obscurantism is dangerous and clarity is imperative. Before you start leveling transgressions on people, lucidity is necessary.

1) Gold was in internet video

2) Mao was in the same internet video

3) Mao made cute verbal expression in jokity joke internet video; it was cute and charming; fun was had by all (including Mao).

4) Fast forward, however many months: Gold referenced Mao’s cute verbal expression to a picture of her and Mao

5) All ******* Hell broke loose

6) Wormwood smiles!

7) Me and you going back and forth

8) Now Lucifer smiles

But I love how you can't take the possibility of an objective view on such matters, so therefore I have to be an uppity American college student, or like one of those stone-throwers to Gold, just looking to ruin someone's enjoyment for no other reason than schadenfreude. Purging the negative from your life! In late-era capitalism! No! I can't believe it! Preposterous! Welcome to America, the land of the empathetic! So schadenfreude to Gold, schadenfreude to me—hell, schaudenfreude to everyone!

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No! I can't believe it! Preposterous! Welcome to America, the land of the empathetic! So schadenfreude to Gold, schadenfreude to me—hell, schaudenfreude to everyone!

All I got from your post was "schadenfreude to everyone". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5isHw02S0Cg (even makes a reference to figure skaters at 0:50!) :biggrin:

Being aware and diligent of your own douchery, somehow makes you more palatable to yourself, let alone others?

:laugh: No comment.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No no, I am not smart because I used big words, I am smart because big words come to me. Anything cultured of me comes more from within, than without.

Big words has nothing to do with being smart, or being superior (and I say this as somebody who writes for a living). This is an internet forum, not an SAT test.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:rofl:

AllYouDoIsTalk (may I just address you as AUDIT?) is banned from being colloquial on GS! (Curtessy Doris.)

May everyone stop advising him to abandon his erudition.

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
Big words has nothing to do with being smart, or being superior (and I say this as somebody who writes for a living). This is an internet forum, not an SAT test.

No, I am smart by proxy. I was inborn with it. No, I believe a SAT test is multiple choice, my erudition goes beyond that; it is all encompassing, the integral whole, ethereal. It is a vocation,r eally. As the ole saying goes, Much is given much is expected.

noidont

Final Flight
Wow a few hours later...this is the only thread everyone is putting their efforts into....

Seriously, what is it about debatable racist comments that get people sugar high? The keyword here is debatable. Gracie is such a blonde. She doesn't need to be smart. Here, I just made a debatable racist comment.

And I like Allyoudoistalk. Keep it going.
'

tulosai

Record Breaker
No, I am smart by proxy. I was inborn with it. No, I believe a SAT test is multiple choice, my erudition goes beyond that; it is all encompassing, the integral whole, ethereal. It is a vocation,r eally. As the ole saying goes, Much is given much is expected.

'Intelligence' as conceptualized by most is actually education. This is doubly true for you, who thinks intelligence is measured by big words known. You were not born knowing all those big words, and believe you me, anyone with normal or slightly below normal IQ with the time and energy could learn them and learn to use them correctly.

I don't want this to disintegrate into a personal attack, but it is impossible to believe you are for real.

minze

Medalist
laugh:

Since, there is so many negative Mao threads I just wanted to join the club and say Mao is to blame because she should have known better than to posed in the picture with Gracie. And how dare she mispronounce "One more Sandiwch" :no:;). Her Olympic chances are doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.