Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I hope Gracie does not read the forums, thoughI think she might, on her mom or someone. reason being everyone haated her Lp dress for several reasons. Notice she got a new one? Dresses are very expensive. If she reads this she must be feeling awful. I hope it does not affect her training. It does seem to me that her detractors are having a field day with this and won't let it die.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yeppers, but somehow we as a society have grown more thin-skinned and ready to pounce on something/anything that could be miscontrued as racist or offensive or morally unacceptable.

Yes, I remember the Muppet Show. I loved that cool hippie chick who talked like a stoner, I guess they were mocking stoners? The Indian guy on The Simpsons? Better get those pitchforks out. I've got an even better one since I am in the LBGT group. Latrell Lamar from Revenge of the Nerds (a movie that was ALL about sterotypes), a character that I thought was hysterical. I can think of tons more gay 'mocking' characters that are done in a funny non-meanspirited way. I guess I should be indignant in this day and age but I'm not. I laughed. I don't speak or act like the funny stereotype, but I have known some who do.

Sometimes you just gotta stop always feeling persecuted and look at the spirit a joke is made in. Life goes by alot funnier and happier that way, IMHO.

Your next to last sentence would be easier to embrace and live by for someone who has never been on the receiving end of abusive language (or worse) -- in person, directly to one's face -- based on racial discrimination and/or unfair stereotyping. I cannot tell from your post whether you ever have been the target of that kind of demoralizing attack.

I am not saying that Gold's tweet was abusive. I am saying that in my opinion, tolerance of stereotyping (whether ignorance or malice is the cause) is tantamount to enabling perpetuation of stereotyping. I am against such perpetuation, which can lead to much more dire consequences. (Has Trayvon Martin already been forgotten?)

To her credit, Gold has apologized, and I hope that she has learned a big lesson from her big mistake.

What continues to disturb me is that some in this thread believe that she made no mistake and had nothing for which to apologize.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
She is a lot younger than Prince Harry and grew up in a skating rink. One Halloween was it- or a costume party? harry dressed as a Nazi or maybe Hitler himself. He was skewered around the world, apologized and the press moved on. I am surprised the level of dislike for Gracie. Every nationality is mocked in USA. I half European origin, two countries. If I got offended at all the drinking jokes, and other stuff.

The press may have moved on, but I know for a fact that what Prince Harry did still gets talked about it today. And just because every nationality is mocked, it doesn't mean everyone necessarily has to sit down and take it.

(Personally, I think Gracie made a simple mistake. That's it.)

Even if she offends you, can you not accept her apology? Skaters of 18 have maturity of 12 year olds. They do nothing but train. Maybe Gracie is not the smartest girl in skating-not to be cruel. But this is definitely a hater type thread. I wonder how many do not like her due to her talent and fact that a clean Grace would be second only to YuNa. I feel someone has to defend her dumb joke. I honestly don't get th 16 pages. There are many more interesting threads here. Sad.

No one has labelled her a raging racist or expressed any type of outright hate for her. Far from it, actually. And this certainly does not seem to be a "hater" type thread. People are having a solid discussion on why they may or may not be (and "should or should not" be) offended, and for the most part, everyone who has commented seems understanding of Gracie and of everyone else.

I'm sorry you cannot see that. And if this thread upsets you, might I suggest that you do not venture in here anymore?

Your next to last sentence would be easier to embrace and live by for someone who has never been on the receiving end of abusive language (or worse) -- in person, directly to one's face -- based on racial discrimination and/or unfair stereotyping. I cannot tell from your post whether you ever have been the target of that kind of demoralizing attack.

I am not saying that Gold's tweet was abusive. I am saying that in my opinion, tolerance of stereotyping (whether ignorance or malice is the cause) is tantamount to enabling perpetuation of stereotyping. I am against such perpetuation, which can lead to much more dire consequences. (Has Trayvon Martin already been forgotten?)

To her credit, Gold has apologized, and I hope that she has learned a big lesson from her big mistake.

What continues to disturb me is that some in this thread believe that she made no mistake and had nothing for which to apologize.

I agree. Thank you.

Lilith11

On the Ice
There's a difference between poking fun and mocking though. One is w/an understanding that it's all in good fun and both sides are laughing at. In mocking though, only one side is laughing. Thus if you're argument is based on "oh all nationalities are mocked," then that should be a cause of change, not complacency. Also, like I said before, even if Gracie does love Mao and this was done in good fun/was a private joke, once it was put on a public platform like Twitter, she opened herself up for criticism. Like I said before, as someone right around Gracie's age, it does not take rocket science smarts to possess a little common sense and social filter; her age or education (or as you argue, lack thereof) are frankly irrelevant in that context.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Well, I grew up in Bible Belt Texas, and was the only out LGBT at my high school. Who was active in ballet. You can figure the rest out.

Look it's the spirit of the ribbing. If a known homophobic person mocks gays with a stereotype, yeah, I'd be offended, because it is meanspirited. I dunno, I feel weird continuing this thread. It is far too long.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I dunno, I feel weird continuing this thread. It is far too long.

I don't think anyone would feel weird if the title was changed to not have the word "Gracie" in it, because it's obvious that what people are "really" talking about is beyond what she said. But, alas, what she said is what started this whole thread.

Oh well.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

Whole post. Well put.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I can't bring myself to read the posts on GS prior to my own. The internet brings out the worst in people, and sometimes it is just too depressing...

Good for Gracie for apologizing. It was due. She is probably too young and uneducated to have understood initially what is wrong with her tweet. That doesn't mean she shouldn't apologize. Her intent (in case anyone said this as a defense) doesn't matter.

One thing she should learn is not to put apologies in terms of causing offense, which implies that the problem is with those offended, rather than with one's own initial comment. Gracie should apologize for her racist comments (however unintentional), not for having caused others offense by it.

James R

Match Penalty
"The words were a reference to a line Asada says while acting in a humorous video created by U.S. ice dancers Maia and Alex Shibutani. The video, titled “THE ICE 2013 — ONE MORE SANDWICH,” was done while Gold was in Japan last summer year to skate in a show Asada headlines called “The Ice.”"

That is all any thinking person needs to read, to understand the context of the original joke and that it had no malice.

Of course, most people don't bother to think. Or read.

Gracie will hopefully learn lessons in all of this:

1.) Most human beings are hopelessly ignorant
2.) In media, perception is reality
3.) Politically-correct nazis will do anything and everything they can to destroy you
4.) Racism is immediately assumed of whites (see #3)

Now I'll stop before I say what I REALLY think of the people on this rock.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Oh wow, I didn't know I'm a PC Nazi now. It really doesn't matter if it's GG or another skater, there will be some protest at this insensitive tweet. It isn't a "hater" thread, if GG feels that way then it reflects poorly on her maturity. It's out there, she needs to learn why it upsets many people, especially Asians (both Japanese and non-Japanese). Otherwise, she will commit another similar disrespectful faux pas.

Chefs do get teased for their accents, but their leverage lies in their foreign origins, which lends authenticity to their vocation as a foreign cuisine chef. They might not mind that sort of teasing or mockery as much as 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants who aspire to be recognized as full-fledged citizens and who are competing for mainstream jobs. The mocking of their strong/non-existing accents seems to them another reminder of exclusion/not belonging through no fault of theirs. I suspect most Asian-Americans would mind this teasing/mocking to varying degrees. The person doing the mockery might or might not be a racist, who knows, but it is unseemly and target-specific.

Besides, it's disrespectful for GG to direct this joke at Mao, assuming that Mao wouldn't mind. Either way, unless she is familiar or comfortable enough with Mao to know better, she shouldn't cross this line in public.

That said, all in all, it's really no big deal, but these incidents do make me wonder about GG, the person, even though I appreciate GG, the skater. The two should be separated, but they are public figures after all and are publicly admired and supported. So yes, their personal words and deeds do matter, even if their thoughts don't.

qwertyskates

Medalist

Do spell it out for us, we're all ears. Your reply exemplifies what's so wrong about GG's apologists who declare that those who mind or feel offended at the tweet are the ones at fault. It doesn't matter if the malice is intended - if you knock someone over, accidentally or intentionally, and you refuse to apologize, then it shows you don't feel that the person is worthy of basic respect.

She is mimicking an Asian accent, as if it is something joke-worthy. Many minded it, it hit a nerve. Now they're PC Nazis according to your tirade.

James R

Match Penalty
Oh wow, I didn't know I'm a PC Nazi now.

Then check yourself.

I didn't bother reading 17 pages of utter human crapola, but here's the link to "THE ICE 2013" video in question in case it was missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKVEDqFDTg

Gracie was referencing that video. She and Mao and the other skaters had fun making it. She's a teenage girl making a reference in fun to a video she participated in with Mao. Her only mistake was not realizing how her comment would be perceived.

I can forgive the unwashed masses who know little about anything related to figure skating, for not bothering to inform themselves about the context or about the character of the person, and then pouring their hate and ignorance all over Gracie. I can't forgive goldenskate members for doing the same. YOU should know better. And the fact that you've had the facts stuck right in your face, and still insist on slandering her - beyond redemption.

Gracie rightly apologized for saying something dumb with good intentions and not realizing how it would be taken. No apology will exonerate YOU.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Thank you for confirming my worries about people missing the point, James R.

It is really so incredibly disturbing to me that any "thinking person" (as some like to say) can with a straight face utter, "it was just a joke" as a defense. "Pepe Nero has no sense of humor" confirms what I say; it is not a defense of your point. (Just letting you know in advance!)

Posts of the sort I am responding to show the necessity of strengthening liberal arts education in the US. Unfortunately the trend is in the DeVry direction.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I can forgive the unwashed masses who know little about anything related to figure skating, for not bothering to inform themselves about the context or about the character of the person, and then pouring their hate and ignorance all over Gracie. I can't forgive goldenskate members for doing the same. YOU should know better. And the fact that you've had the facts stuck right in your face, and still insist on slandering her - beyond redemption.

Gracie rightly apologized for saying something dumb with good intentions and not realizing how it would be taken. No apology will exonerate YOU.

Quite an interesting comment, coming from someone willing to point his finger at others and call them "PC Nazis" :laugh:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Then check yourself.

I didn't bother reading 17 pages of utter human crapola, but here's the link to "THE ICE 2013" video in question in case it was missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKVEDqFDTg

Gracie was referencing that video. She and Mao and the other skaters had fun making it. She's a teenage girl making a reference in fun to a video she participated in with Mao. Her only mistake was not realizing how her comment would be perceived.

Why should *I* be exonerated? What exactly did I do wrong, hmm? Please explain.

You are slandering many of us here, "not bothering to inform yourself about the context or about the character of the person, and then pouring their hate and ignorance all over us", look in a mirror, seriously.

I don't know GG personally, unlike you it seems, and I only take her at her words and deeds, nothing else. I am pointing out how those who might feel offended see her tweet. That is "pouring hate and ignorance all over GG", a PC Nazi beyond redemption? So are you answering on her behalf now, how she might perceive those who minded her tweet?

"Unwashed masses"?? Please tell me all about them.

The joke is not the problem if she had joked about "Only one sandwich", we'll laugh along with the off-rink capers, it appears to have escaped you that the problem is making a joke of Mao's non-existent accent, "Onry one sandwrich", because you know, Asians have such funny accents, haha. She said so "solly" , so what der ploblem, light?

Please, mind your crude manners and nasty, foul language. We've all been participating in the discourse in a civilized fashion.

SSS

Spectator
Thanks for your replies, loopy and Mathman. Just nice to know someone's there.
Mao is naturally gentle and open-minded, and I'm pretty sure that she won't let this affect her.
I sincerely hope that the skaters can concentrate on skating to do their best for Sochi.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
"The words were a reference to a line Asada says while acting in a humorous video created by U.S. ice dancers Maia and Alex Shibutani. The video, titled “THE ICE 2013 — ONE MORE SANDWICH,” was done while Gold was in Japan last summer year to skate in a show Asada headlines called “The Ice.”"

That is all any thinking person needs to read, to understand the context of the original joke and that it had no malice.

Of course, most people don't bother to think. Or read.

Gracie will hopefully learn lessons in all of this:

1.) Most human beings are hopelessly ignorant
2.) In media, perception is reality
3.) Politically-correct nazis will do anything and everything they can to destroy you
4.) Racism is immediately assumed of whites (see #3)

Now, that is a hopelessly ignorant post.

What Gracie posted was in bad taste and derogatory. Period. It doesn't really matter whether she had "malice". It is about how a statement can be perceived by the recipient (in this case, the entire Internet audience). This is the key - she didn't say this directly to Mao in a friendly jest --- rather, she chose to post it so the entire world can read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.